Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delegate Stories (A compendium of shared RP delegate experiences)

Post Delegate Stories (A compendium of shared RP delegate experiences)

BECOME A DELEGATE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
    Click Here or Here to get started Now!

I am creating this thread as an index of shared knowledge regarding the experience of being a delegate.
    It can be vital to know what to expect, and how to prepare going in. I will be compiling posts and articles that contain related information.
    If you have a personal story, or know of a post, article, or video on this subject please submit it to this thread so I can include it in the OP.
    I'll close by saying Thank You to every Paul supporter who has chosen to become a delegate, your contribution to liberty is deeply appreciated.

This thread is a work in progress, please excuse the mess.
    Last edited by PolicyReader; 03-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Last edited by PolicyReader; 03-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

Audio & Quotes

Audio
    *Anonymous St Charles GOP committee member reveals identity, Dokes' phone message
    *Santorum Delegate Count a Lie? Paul Gaining States?

Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Uinta County, Wyoming

February 21 and 23
    Precinct Caucuses were held to elect delegates to the County Convention and to conduct a straw poll.
    Mitt Romney won the straw poll with 65.7% of the votes while Ron Paul came in second with 24.4% (source).

March 10
    At the County Convention, 1 National Convention alternate delegate and 14 State Convention delegate positions were up for election.
    Ron Paul supporters swept all the delegates! We won the only National Convention alternate delegate and ALL 14 State Convention delegate positions even though Romney won the straw poll in February with 65.7% of the vote!

Lesson Learned
    With the help of others, one supporter took charge by reading and re-reading the Uinta County bylaws as well as the Wyoming state bylaws. He spoke to the Uinta County Chairman at length and made sure he knew exactly how the County Convention would be handled. It helped tremendously that the Chairman was willing to help out. The key was also having contact information of all the supporters who became delegates to the County Convention and making sure they all met up days before so that everyone was on the same page. He identified the right number of people to run for the open positions and made sure everyone voted for these supporters only. Understand that there are many well known Romney supporters within the county and none of them got elected to the State Convention. Organization matters and having someone who is willing to sacrifice their time to take the lead is what made the difference in this county.
    Quote Originally Posted by MozoVote View Post
    A recent post on the Jefferson county Iowa thread, reminded me of something a former legislator told our CFL group. One of the most important votes you cast is "adoption of the rules".

Often the rules are very restrictive. They are meant to prevent individual delegates from derailing the agenda.

You will be pressured to adopt the rules quickly. They'll say it is a formality... That these are the rules we have always used, they work just fine. You may be handed the rules and immediately asked to vote on them without being given time to read them. This is all done intentionally, to intimidate new delegates.
    Last edited by PolicyReader; 03-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Last edited by PolicyReader; 03-28-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Why share this information about yourself before making it to national? Might make it easier for them to spot you as you work through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    Why share this information about yourself before making it to national? Might make it easier for them to spot you as you work through the process.
    This is a point, I wouldn't generally advise putting personally identifiable information in online forums.
    That being said there are plenty of stories from 2008 as well as general advice and information that can be shared to provide inexperienced delegates and potential delegates with valuable insight

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great idea.
    The single greatest small victories ahead of us will be converting unbound delegates, we want to hear those stories.
    No longer are we going after the typical GOP voters, but soft delegates...this is the path to win.
    Et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos

Still expanding on and updating the thread, I know there are stories from 2008 and 2012 that I've missed, if you've read one (or read one) and don't see it listed above please post a link here so that I can update the thread to include it.

Thanks

Paul supporters reading this thread who aren't delegates but can still become one in their state, this is a reminder to you...

Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ecinct-meeting

Georgia's small counties had mass precinct meetings one hour before county convention, so I added what I learned from the experience at both in that thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

A recent post on the Jefferson county Iowa thread, reminded me of something a former legislator told our CFL group. One of the most important votes you cast is "adoption of the rules".

Often the rules are very restrictive. They are meant to prevent individual delegates from derailing the agenda.

You will be pressured to adopt the rules quickly. They'll say it is a formality... That these are the rules we have always used, they work just fine. You may be handed the rules and immediately asked to vote on them without being given time to read them. This is all done intentionally, to intimidate new delegates.
    Last edited by MozoVote; 03-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Uinta County, Wyoming

February 21 and 23
    Precinct Caucuses were held to elect delegates to the County Convention and to conduct a straw poll.
    Mitt Romney won the straw poll with 65.7% of the votes while Ron Paul came in second with 24.4% (source).

March 10
    At the County Convention, 1 National Convention alternate delegate and 14 State Convention delegate positions were up for election.
    Ron Paul supporters swept all the delegates! We won the only National Convention alternate delegate and ALL 14 State Convention delegate positions even though Romney won the straw poll in February with 65.7% of the vote!

Lesson Learned
    With the help of others, one supporter took charge by reading and re-reading the Uinta County bylaws as well as the Wyoming state bylaws. He spoke to the Uinta County Chairman at length and made sure he knew exactly how the County Convention would be handled. It helped tremendously that the Chairman was willing to help out. The key was also having contact information of all the supporters who became delegates to the County Convention and making sure they all met up days before so that everyone was on the same page. He identified the right number of people to run for the open positions and made sure everyone voted for these supporters only. Understand that there are many well known Romney supporters within the county and none of them got elected to the State Convention. Organization matters and having someone who is willing to sacrifice their time to take the lead is what made the difference in this county.

Mr. Moderator, I'd like to make a motion to PLEASE MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Paul supporters reading this thread who aren't delegates but can still become one in their state, this is a reminder to you...

Good call, added to OP.

If anyone can link me a list (or an example so I can compile a list) of the cut off dates for various states please do and I will add that to the OP as well.
    There are many supporters who are newer to politics that don't understand this race is ongoing despite it being after Super Tuesday.
    Let's help them know there's still time to get involved and make a meaningful impact on the outcome of this race!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Uinta County, Wyoming

February 21 and 23

March 10

Lesson Learned
    Added to front page, thank you!

I'd also like to add if anyone has stories related to overturning abusive GOP rulings regarding seating delegates etc regardless of if that was done through Roberts Rules, the Courts or something else I'd like to hear about those too. I think they're worth keeping track of.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Mr. Moderator, I'd like to make a motion to PLEASE MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY!
    Second

Looking for more stories et al as conventions progress. Also if anyone has a good link (or would like to write?) a synopsis with a general overview of the delegate process 'caucus to convention'
    I know it couldn't be accurate to each states regulations but something simple for those who are totally new to the process

Updated the front page, still looking for more stories.

Question for the floor, should I add all the info about GA, MO etc?

Bump. Please subscribe to this thread, and whenever you log on bump it. It's important
    Please visit the Free Talk Live YouTube Channel

My twitter: @Samuel_E_Amer
    The best liberty videos on YouTube: Freedom

The Philosophy of Liberty
    www.mises.org
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

The Potential of the Free State Project

Perhaps the banner at the top for Phone for Home should be replaced with a become a delegate banner?

www.mises.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Perhaps the banner at the top for Phone for Home should be replaced with a become a delegate banner?
    Becoming a delegate is key, and it should be a top priority, however I think the banner is best left as is since people from all states can still support the campaign by phoning from home while the opportunities to become a delegate are winnowed as the race goes on.

I really hope people are taking involvement in their local party process seriously, becoming delegates and taking PCO spots as often as possible (if you're not sure about your local area look into it or ask for help, better apply that to assume you can't ).
    Also anyone who runs into information on the delegate process on this or other sites or in other threads (first hand accounts, detailed descriptions, so fourth) please post links. There's so much information out there I'm certain I'm missing useful things which could be included in this thread.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump.

www.mises.org

BAMP.

Also, yes - add info from GA, MO, MA, NV, etc. The more accounts that we have, the clearer picture we have. On top of that, we can devise different strategies based on the individual environments of different precincts/conventions. If the precinct is small and friendly, we have strategy X. If the convention is huge and hostile, we have strategy X. Different strategies for different situations, but having the same desired end state - accumulating the most delegates we can for Dr. Paul, while also having an influence on local/county/state affairs.

DO EET

BAMP.

Also, yes - add info from GA, MO, MA, NV, etc. The more accounts that we have, the clearer picture we have. On top of that, we can devise different strategies based on the individual environments of different precincts/conventions. If the precinct is small and friendly, we have strategy X. If the convention is huge and hostile, we have strategy X. Different strategies for different situations, but having the same desired end state - accumulating the most delegates we can for Dr. Paul, while also having an influence on local/county/state affairs.

DO EET

Ahem.....................bump.

www.mises.org

I occurs to me that I should mention when I update the OPs. So... I've done several updates (sorry I'm running a little late with the word on that )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast