Thread: Christopher David for U.S. House, CA-33, against Henry Waxman - Ask me anything

Christopher David for U.S. House, CA-33, against Henry Waxman - Ask me anything

Hey folks. I am a Ron Paul Republican running in California's new 33rd congressional district, spanning the coast of Los Angeles from Malibu to Palos Verdes.

My only significant opponent is the 37-year incumbent Henry Waxman. He has a strong hold on his seat, however this year with redistricting and the new Prop 14, I do have a path to victory.

Read my bio here. I am running a youth-centric campaign focused on real change.

Mine will be a high-profile race. Having worked before with Young Americans for Liberty and Students for Liberty, I know how to turn this into a nationwide youth campaign, a referendum by the youth on the disastrous political class, represented by my opponent the 37-year incumbent Henry Waxman.

Thanks to Prop 14, on June 5th there will be just one ballot with all the primary contenders on it. On that ballot there will be Waxman, 3 other Democrats, 2 left-leaning third party candidates, and me. As the only Republican, and one with cross-over appeal, I should breeze through the primary. Especially considering Waxman is not campaigning at all, he has no campaign website, and there will be presidential-level turnout for the Republicans and not for the Democrats. It is very possible that I come within a few points of Waxman or even beat him in the primary. As the top two vote-getters, we would still both advance to the general, but I would be in a position to raise millions of dollars nationwide as a young entrepreneur who is making the Waxman seat competitive for the first time since 1974.

The district's registration is 44% Democrat, 28% Republican, 22% Decline to State. Theoretically I could win without a single Democrat vote, although my strong anti-war stance will definitely win Democrats away from Waxman who voted to authorize the Iraq war at the same time I was in the streets protesting against it (pic below).

I just spent many hours writing out a comprehensive, up-to-date strategy for how Ron Paul can win the nomination. Please give it a read and respond with your comments.

I only need about $20,000 to virtually guarantee victory in my primary on June 5th. Please contribute what you can. Or post below and tell me what I can do to earn your support.

I will respond to any questions posted below. Fire away

Here's me in Burlingame this past weekend speaking to the Republican Liberty Caucus of California:

Here's me campaigning in Iowa in December 2007:

Here's me explaining a new field program at the Young Americans for Liberty 2010 National Convention:

Here's me at my first political event in January 2003, protesting the imminent Iraq war:

And here's Joe Rogan wearing the Ron Paul shirt I delivered to his manager a few hours before his recent Tonight Show appearance

I would really appreciate your support. Can you help fill up my FEC report with plenty of $20.12's and $201.20's?
    Last edited by Christopher David; 03-02-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Christopher David - Ron Paul Republican candidate for U.S. House, CA-33
    Running to represent the coast of Los Angeles from Malibu to Palos Verdes
    Friend me | Fan me | Donate $20.12 or $201.20 for Victory in 2012

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you plan on challenging Waxman to a debate? If not, hopefully you can raise enough money for TV ads.

How do you convince people of your district to vote for you without promising to bring home the pork from D.C.?

Waxman, IIRC, is a democrat and probably panders to every special interest group that he can buy.

How will you persuade people to vote for you when you want to drastically cut Federal spending and, presumably, the amount of money coming from D.C. back to the district?

Will you go the earmark route used by Ron Paul, namely putting in request from your district for specific projects but voting against the appropriations bills that contain these requests?
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pulp8721 View Post
    Do you plan on challenging Waxman to a debate? If not, hopefully you can raise enough money for TV ads.
    Yes. I don't imagine he will accept. But I will challenge him anyway. I have already been in touch with one of my third-party opponents about holding a debate with all the candidates and leaving an empty podium for Waxman. Or should we use a cardboard cutout?

We definitely do plan on getting on air with TV ads, probably starting in June after the primary victory.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    How do you convince people of your district to vote for you without promising to bring home the pork from D.C.?

Waxman, IIRC, is a democrat and probably panders to every special interest group that he can buy.

How will you persuade people to vote for you when you want to drastically cut Federal spending and, presumably, the amount of money coming from D.C. back to the district?
    In months of campaigning I have yet to meet a single Waxman supporter.

I will argue that Waxman and his Democrat buddies failed to bring "change" - now it is time for a new breed of Republicans to bring *real change*.

I will probably lose the "bring home the pork" sector of the electorate, but thankfully they are outnumbered by people who recognize that we need systemic change, not more of the same pandering and kicking the can down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    Will you go the earmark route used by Ron Paul, namely putting in request from your district for specific projects but voting against the appropriations bills that contain these requests?
    Unsure yet but I am open to arguments for what makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher David View Post
    Yes. I don't imagine he will accept. But I will challenge him anyway. I have already been in touch with one of my third-party opponents about holding a debate with all the candidates and leaving an empty podium for Waxman. Or should we use a cardboard cutout?

We definitely do plan on getting on air with TV ads, probably starting in June after the primary victory.
    Use the cutout. It'll give the news something top use as amusing fodder. And news stations love that stuff. It'll embarrass him and perhaps even lead him to HAVING to do a debate, or lose face.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Use the cutout. It'll give the news something top use as amusing fodder. And news stations love that stuff. It'll embarrass him and perhaps even lead him to HAVING to do a debate, or lose face.
    This. Use a cutout if he declines, definitely

And its awesome that you're doing this by the way!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about for your republican primary? How many challengers are you up against?

Also, I looked at your platform on your website and I this section worried me a little:

On Immigration:
    Program enforcement and employer support. Guest workers’ personal information will be stored on a tamper proof smart card. Once a guest worker program and a smart card system are fully implemented, there would be no incentive for businesses to employ illegal labor. The smart card will allow prompt identification for employers and law enforcement, and eliminate ambiguous and uncertain areas for employers.

Could you expand on this? To me, the idea of giving guest workers tamper proof smart cards, is a slippery slope to a national ID card.
    Last edited by pulp8721; 03-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pulp8721 View Post
    What about for your republican primary? How many challengers are you up against?

Also, I looked at your platform on your website and I this section worried me a little:

On Immigration:
    Program enforcement and employer support. Guest workers’ personal information will be stored on a tamper proof smart card. Once a guest worker program and a smart card system are fully implemented, there would be no incentive for businesses to employ illegal labor. The smart card will allow prompt identification for employers and law enforcement, and eliminate ambiguous and uncertain areas for employers.

Could you expand on this? To me, the idea of giving guest workers tamper proof smart cards, is a slippery slope to a national ID card.
    I believe that guest workers already get a Visa that identifies them. H1-B or L1 for instance.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.