Thread: HuffPo: article saying RP takes money from bad people

HuffPo: article saying RP takes money from bad people

Ron Paul Disavows White Supremacists, But Takes Their Money

Posted: 02/27/12 09:16 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- Presidential hopeful Ron Paul has disavowed white supremacists and their views, but a review of federal campaign filings shows he accepts their money.

Paul's 2012 campaign has received more than $6,000 from people who have identified themselves as white separatists or supremacists, or who are listed on anti-hate group sites such as the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Two prominent donors are leaders in what may be the most ambitious white nationalist political movement in the U.S., American Third Position. One is William Johnson, the group's chairman. Another is Virginia Abernethy, a former Vanderbilt professor who is listed as a director of the party.

Abernethy has given Paul at least $2,451 for this election. Johnson has donated at least $3.349.

Paul, under fire for the racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic passages in the newsletter he used to produce, disavowed the content of the publication in December.

He further told The New York Times that he "wouldn't be happy with" with racists and anti-Semites doing his volunteer work, even as many were. He explained the apparent contradiction to the newspaper, saying, "If they want to endorse me, they're endorsing what I do or say -- it has nothing to do with endorsing what they say."

The Paul campaign declined to comment on why he is accepting donations from people the candidate says he disagrees with. The contributions represent an ongoing Paul tie to right-wing extremism -- one that could be severed simply by sending back the checks.

Most presidential campaigns reject what they regard as money from tainted sources. Paul has not done that, even though Abernethy and Johnson are well known for their views and Paul has encountered Johnson before.

If Paul doesn't want to make a complete break with white nationalists, neither do white separatists worry that he has publicly shunned them, with Abernethy cutting a fresh check as recently last month, according to the latest federal election filings.

Johnson, in an email, explained why he contributed to the Texas congressman's presidential campaign:

"In my opinion, Ron Paul is the most principled politician of his generation. He forthrightly states what he believes, at all times. He is a man of his word. He states that he does not recognize groups -- only individuals. He states that he does not possess any degree of racial consciousness. Those are his actual beliefs and the nation should believe that that is his position."

Johnson actually has reason to shun Paul. He had been endorsed by Paul for a judicial election in 2008 until Paul found out about his views and withdrew his backing. "Had he known I was a white nationalist at the outset, he would not have given me his imprimatur," Johnson said. "In the coming years, this will change. Reputable and fair-minded men will freely endorse us because our positions are just."

Johnson also sounded somewhat like Paul in not believing the desires of the candidate mattered to his own choices.

"I will continue to support Ron Paul and his son, Sen. Rand Paul, because it is the right thing to do," Johnson said, adding that "in many respects it is 'unrequited love.' Ron Paul has said that he does not want the support of white nationalists because 'it muddies the waters.' This is true, because our support brings with it certain baggage that Dr. Paul does not want.

"My view is that white nationalism is a just and proper position for all white people to hold, so it would not be appropriate for me to withhold my support from Ron Paul just because he does not want it," Johnson said.

Regardless of how Paul feels about race issues, right-wing leaders also simply like Paul.

"I've liked Ron Paul for a long time. I like Libertarian candidates. I'd like more Libertarian candidates to become active in the Republican Party," said Wayne Lutton, editor of the Michigan-based Social Contract Press and who is described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as "anti-immigrant."

Lutton, who gave Paul $201 in December, called himself a "conservative environmentalist and conservationist" and denied he hates immigrants, although he blamed immigration for pushing the U.S. population past the 200 million level that he thinks is desirable.

His reasons for backing Paul in Tuesday's contest sounded more like the more conservative members of the Tea Party who want drastic spending cuts and a return to the gold standard.

"As far as Paul is concerned, I'm in favor not just of balanced budgets, but of much lower spending. I'm certainly in favor of hard money," Lutton said.

If that hard money is a campaign donation, so is Ron Paul.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well, since Ron Paul is can't be bought, he stands on his principles regardless and it won't affect his votes, they are endorsing his views and he is nor endorsing theirs, as Paul says in the article.

Ideally, they would give him every dime they make, which would mean no money left of their own to do anything nefarious with in their organization.

Similiarly, any Obama supporters are welcome to send Ron Paul their donations, as well.

Wonder if Huffpo has scoured through the donation records of the other candidates, as well. Who has been donating to Obama? And who has been visiting the White House off-record and why? How about some real reporting that matters instead of attempts to slander, Huffpo?
    Last edited by Bruno; 02-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

The night before the Michigan & Arizona primaries I saw this headline, center page, on Google News "Ron Paul". It's the 2nd time I've seen it after filtering Google News to Ron Paul. I'd be willing to bet the 1st time I saw it was the night before the Maine primary (can't remember).

I'd also be willing to bet I see it Friday, Mar 2nd, the night before the Washington caucus.

It's kind of funny because, compared to the other headlines, it's very out of place. Therefore it grabs your attention.
    "WE..as a group NOW have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it." Ron Paul

I don't understand why you WOULDN'T accept money from such people? It's money they now can't use towards malicious causes.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

Wonder what they think about Obama taking money from black racists, which he most likely did at some point.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Johnson has donated at least $3.349.
    i thought the cap was 2500$?

damn, this is old $#@! they're bringing up... Newsletters, this, and the gum thing... Find something new media!
    Life long democrat recently turned RonPaulitan

Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple
    "I like that guys spunk."

Quote Originally Posted by jemuf View Post
    The night before the Michigan & Arizona primaries I saw this headline, center page, on Google News "Ron Paul". It's the 2nd time I've seen it after filtering Google News to Ron Paul. I'd be willing to bet the 1st time I saw it was the night before the Maine primary (can't remember).

I'd also be willing to bet I see it Friday, Mar 2nd, the night before the Washington caucus.

It's kind of funny because, compared to the other headlines, it's very out of place. Therefore it grabs your attention.
    google is now censoring stories period. I use to search ron paul and get tons of stories now i get one or 2 select media msm stories usually lies or misleading ones by the lying media and then campaign stuff but never just out right unbiased stories. F the lying media!!!!!!!
    Last edited by speciallyblend; 03-01-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

You know this is getting really old. Why don't they bring up how Al Gore had Fred Phelps Jr campaigning for him, raising money for him (in the thousands), and was a delegate for him.

Also how would the campaign even know that these guys are racists when they give money? I highly doubt they write "White Supremacist" as their occupation when they donate.

Last I heard, the IRS took their money, too.

I knew the IRS was a racist front!

That settles it: I'm no longer supporting the IRS, until they return all that dirty money!

Southern Poverty Law Center is a hate group.

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    Southern Poverty Law Center is a hate group.
    You are joking right? This is how they are described all over the internet: The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is an American nonprofit civil rights organization noted for its legal victories against white supremacist groups; legal representation for victims of hate groups; monitoring of alleged hate groups, militias and extremist organizations; and educational programs that promote tolerance.

Where is the hate?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerailingDaTrain View Post
    You are joking right? This is how they are described all over the internet: The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is an American nonprofit civil rights organization noted for its legal victories against white supremacist groups; legal representation for victims of hate groups; monitoring of alleged hate groups, militias and extremist organizations; and educational programs that promote tolerance.

Where is the hate?
    They hate you if you support the constitution. They showed their hate by listing black conservatives as "racist" just for opposing Obama. They also attacked the patriot who exposed anti black racism in the FBI as a "false patriot". They are the worst of the worst.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney take their money from bad people, too. Goldman Sachs, for one.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

And where o' where is this mysterious candidate who has never had shady people donate to their campaign, HuffPo?

Oh...right.

I bet HuffPo takes money from bad people too
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I was given negative rep for asking a question about the SPLC and told that they are bad. This is from their website talking about the African-American Confederates:

H.K. Edgerton speaks wistfully of the "sense of family" that bound blacks and whites under slavery. There was great "love between the African who was here in the Southland and his master," he says.

Edgerton is also the former president of the Asheville, N.C., branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) — a group that fellow neo-Confederate Arthur Ravenal, a white South Carolina state senator, described this year as the "National Association of Retarded People."

Edgerton is almost unique, but not entirely so. The other prominent black figure on the Confederate flag rally circuit is a former militiaman who recently proclaimed: "I am hereby resigning myself from the black race."

J.J. Johnson, once a leading militia figure in Ohio, offers running commentary on the Confederate flag issue in his Internet publication, the Sierra Times.

At the very least these men are very confused about many things. I'm at a loss for words on how to describe them.

Ron Paul takes money from people. The others take money from corporations. Bad corporations.

I think I'll stick with my man on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I wonder if any convicted Rapist or Child molesters have given $ to any of the other campaigns... Im almost sure its a statistical surety.
    Best of luck in life.

When I see white supremacist I laugh, but when I see banking mafias and EPA swat teams I become terrified. Nothing to see in this article folks, move along.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would there even be an article if Romney GAVE money to these kind of groups?
    Ron Paul is #BringingLibertyBack!

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary Man View Post
    Last I heard, the IRS took their money, too.

I knew the IRS was a racist front!

That settles it: I'm no longer supporting the IRS, until they return all that dirty money!
    Your on fire today!
    Best of luck in life.