Thread: Federal Government vs State Government + Interpreting the Constitution

Federal Government vs State Government + Interpreting the Constitution

Hey all,

There was a facebook convo with some people bashing on Paul, most of them were uninformed (as usual) but one person seemed to do her due diligence on RP, she posted alot of things but I'd like to focus on this one specifically.

He introduced the The We the People Act. Most recently in 2009 as H.R. 539, and back in 2004 as H.R. 3893. This basically stops the Federal government protecting the RIGHTS of minorities if a state decides to discriminate against them. This is completely a bill that would allow states to hm. Basically $#@! over all the homosexuals. Ever hear of Matthew Shepard? Yeah, see, it turns out that he wasn't abusing his minority status as a white gay guy to out-manoeuver people in getting jobs or scholarships. He was beat to death because he liked dudes.

I searched up the text of the legislation and I think this is what she was referring to

The Supreme Court of the United States and each Federal court--
    (1) shall not adjudicate--
    (A) any claim involving the laws, regulations, or policies of any State or unit of local government relating to the free exercise or establishment of religion;
    (B) any claim based upon the right of privacy, including any such claim related to any issue of sexual practices, orientation, or reproduction; or
    (C) any claim based upon equal protection of the laws to the extent such claim is based upon the right to marry without regard to sex or sexual orientation; and
    (2) shall not rely on any judicial decision involving any issue referred to in paragraph (1).
    I understand if you interpret the Constitution strictly, you leave powers not specifically granted to the federal government to the states. So what it be alright under RP's view for state governments to discriminate, as long as its not the federal government?

Ron Paul has long said that dealing with violence had been traditionally left to the states, so does this mean that(theoretically) the states would be allowed to give less harsh punishments for "hate crimes"?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for your awareness I didn't aware about it before, But Now I really shocked after sharingthis information.
    Thanks for sharing such a nice information over here.

custom koozies
    Last edited by joyee; 03-03-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Definitely food for thought, there seem to be too many holes these days between state jurisdiction and federal, even still the federal will intervene when state laws allow activity that federal does not. I think that many of these laws need to be revisited, granted this would be a large project but a good approach would be to consolidate state laws that are across the US states and in-act them as federal so that it lessens the confusion between what constitutes what.