Thread: How to delete your Google Browsing History before new policy

How to delete your Google Browsing History before new policy

How to delete your Google Browsing History before new policy

By JohnThomas Didymus
    Feb 24, 2012

With just a week to go before Google changes to its new privacy policy that allows it to gather, store and use personal information, users have a last chance to delete their Google Browsing History, along with any damning information therein.
    Tech News Daily reports that once Google's new unified privacy policy takes effect all data already collected about you, including search queries, sites visited, age, gender and location will be gathered and assigned to your online identity represented by your Gmail and YouTube accounts. After the policy takes effect you are not allowed to opt out without abandoning Google altogether. But now before the policy takes effect, you have the option of deleting your Google Web History by modifying your settings so that Google is unable to associate data collected about you with your Gmail or YouTube accounts.
    Tech News Daily reports that Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco that advocates for online privacy, says: "Search data can reveal particularly sensitive information about you, including facts about your location, interests, age, sexual orientation, religion, health concerns, and more."
    EFF advises all Google users to delete their web history.
    Meanwhile, Center for Digital Democracy has filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, asking the Commission to sue Google to stop the policy change. Tech News Daily reports FTC can impose fines up to $16,000 per day for violation.
    Daily Mail reports that deleting your browsing history before March 1 when Google's new privacy policy comes into effect will limit Google's ability to track and record your every move online. The process is simple. Follow the steps below:
    1. Go to the google homepage and sign into your account.
    2. Click the dropdown menu next to your name in the upper-right hand corner of your screen.
    3. Click accounts settings
    4. Find the "Services section"
    5. Under "Services" there is a sub-section that reads "View, enable, disable web history." Click the link next to it that reads: "Go to Web History."
    6. Click on "Remove all Web History"
    When you click on "Remove all Web History," a message appears that says " Web History is Paused." What this means is that while Google will continue gathering and storing information about your web history it will make all data anonymous, that is, Google will not associate your Web History information with your online accounts and will therefore be unable to send you customized search results.
    Google's ability to gather personalized information about you by assigning data to your Gmail and YouTube accounts will remain "Paused" till you click "Resume."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...7#ixzz1nYsm1e9

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Done.

and many thanks!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I've changed my default search engine to Bing. Not quite as good as Google in some things, but good enough.
    Working on ending viral disease through development of the world's first broad-spectrum antiviral drug. You can help!

my oldest gmail account didn't even have Web history turned on, it asked if I wanted to turn it on.

Did anybody else have this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    my oldest gmail account didn't even have Web history turned on, it asked if I wanted to turn it on.

Yes. The directions listed in the OP were confusing and not completely applicable to me. Mine wasn't turned on. I choose to leave it not turned on.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Yes. The directions listed in the OP were confusing and not completely applicable to me. Mine wasn't turned on. I choose to leave it not turned on.
    my guess is, either they had it turned on for recent accounts, or youtube accounts.

I don't have a 2nd gmail account I worry about, but I do have a separate youtube account, which I rarely used, and won't delete the web history.

My older account had it off.... my newer account has had it on this whole time!
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    My older account had it off.... my newer account has had it on this whole time!
    both gmail? or was one started as a youtube account?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thanks for that.

I LOVE Google. I think they're doing amazing things with technology for humanity, and I'm sure they're well-intentioned. ....but I still don't like the idea of ANY corporation, especially one with ties to governments, building such a vast database of user information.

For IE users, there is a new tracking protection list specifically for google.
    (Tools/Tracking Protection...)

http://www.iegallery.com/en/trackingprotectionlists/
    Last edited by IPSecure; 02-27-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    My Tribute To The MSM: "The Pusher"
    Beck's Audience: YouTube - Family Guy - Undecided Voters
    How to end ALL Taxation:
    (Walter Burien - CAFR) TaxRetirement.com
    Next Scam:
    "Cash For Cash"
    Regarding Romans 13:
    "Caesar Is Dead"
    How Corrupt Is Your Traitor? http://maplight.org/
    Exposing Government Travel Excesses: http://junketsleuth.com/
    Track The Bailouts: http://bailoutsleuth.com/
    Securities Fraud And Corporate Chicanery: http://sharesleuth.com/
    RonPaul2012

Quote Originally Posted by IPSecure View Post
    For IE users, there is a new tracking protection list specifically for google.
    (Tools/Tracking Protection...)

http://www.iegallery.com/en/trackingprotectionlists/
    Firefox users can accomplish pretty much the same thing using AdBlock Plus:

http://adblockplus.org/en/
    Working on ending viral disease through development of the world's first broad-spectrum antiviral drug. You can help!

Get your bitcoin hat at www.gettoknowbitcoin.com Learn about bitcoin and get updated news.

I don't understand how Google let me log in with my yahoo account when I never allow any association with any other web accounts.

I was surprised to see a detailed (although somewhat spotty) history going back to 2009.

Is this history associated with my email account, or my IP address?

Edit: I guess that this was associated with my email address....
    When I went to delete my history, I was asked if I wanted to delete the history for "xxxx@yahoo.com."

By the way, I don't believe that this was the complete history. I also don't believe that hasn't already been stored someplace else.
    Last edited by 123tim; 02-27-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    A vote against Ron Paul is a vote for Obama

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...22#post4013522

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance...it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post
    I've changed my default search engine to Bing. Not quite as good as Google in some things, but good enough.
    I've noticed Bing always manages to have the worst news articles on Paul. It was downright hostile half a year ago.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Never had a gmail account, and my web history was never turned on.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    my guess is, either they had it turned on for recent accounts, or youtube accounts.

I don't have a 2nd gmail account I worry about, but I do have a separate youtube account, which I rarely used, and won't delete the web history.
    I have not confirmed this; but here is a comment that I read on another site:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunatly ifyou are running XP or higher it does not delete it.
    It compresses it and can be recalled with system restore.

If you want to delete anything, any files, recycle bin, or any trash, from your outer, permanently you need to,

Turn off system restore, befor you do anything.