Thread: Does Iran Want To Expand Their Influence?

Does Iran Want To Expand Their Influence?

I've seen many reports of Iran wanting to "wipe Israel off off the map" but that's only if Israel attacks them. I've also heard that they want to expand their "islamic extremist" view on the rest of the world and get rid of the Jews. Is there any credibility to this argument at all? Any quotes or anything? I don't see why people would get worked up about a threat to defend itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonF View Post
    I've seen many reports of Iran wanting to "wipe Israel off off the map" but that's only if Israel attacks them. I've also heard that they want to expand their "islamic extremist" view on the rest of the world and get rid of the Jews. Is there any credibility to this argument at all? Any quotes or anything? I don't see why people would get worked up about a threat to defend itself.
    Well, I have read quotes of Ahmadinejad calling to wipe Israel off the map. I don't know the context of the quote though.

Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts View Post
    Well, I have read quotes of Ahmadinejad calling to wipe Israel off the map. I don't know the context of the quote though.
    Its a proven mistranslation.

Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts View Post
    I don't know the context of the quote though.
    Propaganda Fabrication.

Glad I could help.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I figured it was propaganda, but hadn't really looked too much into it. I would not have supported us going to war with Iran even if the quote were accurate/real.

Even if that was their stated goal, I really don't think they've the ass to back it up. Would Saudi Arabian Arabs accept Iranian rule? Or any of their neihbors? I don't think so. Even if they wanted to rule their neighbors, they couldn't. Without that first, and only logical step being completed how could they expand their influence to the rest of the world?
    Best of luck in life.

At the "World Without Zionism" conference in 2005, Admadinejad said, "Imam (Khomeini) ghoft (said) een (this) rezhim-e (regime) ishghalgar-e (occupying) qods (Jerusalem) bayad (must) az safheh-ye ruzgar (from page of time) mahv shavad (vanish from)."

Khomeini (democratically elected Iranian leader) was the one the US CIA secretly overthrew in 1953 to install the Shah (a suppressive dictator that was friendly with the west). Then Khomeini lead the Iranian Revolution in 1979 to overthrow the Shah.

I don't doubt that they would like to see Israel out of that region, but to think they are suicidal enough to try and pre-emptively strike Israel is just a fantasy for the war mongers.

Israel and Iran could be good friends if a sustainable solution is achieved between Israel and the Palestinians. This includes addressing the occupation and the palestinian refugee issue. The primary problem as I understand it is that Israel finds protection and value in what they've stolen throughout the decades, and simply arent willing to allow for an internationally recognized Palestinian state next door. Israel is already too small , so they figure compromise is as good as surrender. However , the current policy of settlement building on Palestinian lands ( essentially depleting the land for a future Palestinian state) may backfire and threaten Israel's security in the long run more so than a 2 state solution would.

We see that Israel's enemies are growing in power and numbers, and there will evantually come a day where compromise might be too late. You have an extremely powerful Iranian backed militia group in in the north , multiple radical groups in Gaza, a radical salafist government in Egypt, and an arab world which is in upheavel. The situation is bound to get worse as Israel's enemies develop self sufficiency and potent arsenals.

Now one might wonder how could small groups and 3rd world countries threaten a powerful Israel. Geographically we find that Israel is too small , and its nerve centers are too few to sustain a real war. In 2006 , simple katyushas caused the northern front to come to a halt, and hundreds of thousands had to flee or go underground. Thats why I find Israel's saber rattling on Iran silly, because simple analysis says they would lose a conventional 1-on-1 war with Iran. Israel could respond by firing some of their ballistic missiles but what will that do to a large country like Iran?

Ultimately , the only way forward is a peace treaty that solves the Palestinian issue and prevents the situation from deteriorating. Iran would then have no alibi for spewing garbage. Granted , Jews and Muslims do not examplfiy a working relationship, but historically Muhhamed did have Jewish allies and friends at one time.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Iran wanted to "get rid of the Jews", wouldn't they have started with the ~25,000 Jews within their own borders a long time ago?
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by COpatriot View Post
    If Iran wanted to "get rid of the Jews", wouldn't they have started with the ~25,000 Jews within their own borders a long time ago?
    There's also a jewish representative in the Iran parliament

They have no influence to spread . Revolutionary Guard , Persian style is not a popular flavor anywhere among the other unpopular flavors . Saud flavor is bad , but they would not enjoy the other .Such is life . If they got off the street they grew up on , I suppose they could expand and grow , at least to the point where I am , I know a $#@! sandwich tastes about the same , wherever it came from. I have seen all the streets and sandwiches ....
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-02-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Who gives a $#@!? As far as I am concerned they can institute Sharia in England because IT AIN'T COMING HERE.
    Best of luck in life.

Would our children be taught about a coup d'etat if we had been the coup'ee?

Persia and the oilfield- a brief Sky News recap of the US/UK 1953 Iranian Coup d'etat

Funny, that 1979 hostage thingy is brought up all the time but the little friendly Coup, and also Iran Air #655 have basically disappeared from the newsrooms all across the land...

"Iran Air Flight 655 was a civilian jet airliner shot down by U.S. missiles on July 3, 1988, over the Strait of Hormuz, toward the end of the Iran–Iraq War. The aircraft, an Airbus A300B2-203 operated by Iran Air, was flying from Bandar Abbas, Iran, to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf on its usual flight path when it was destroyed by the United States Navy guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes (CG-49), killing all 290 passengers and crew aboard,[1] ranking it twelfth among the deadliest disasters in aviation history. It was the highest death toll of any aviation incident in the Indian Ocean and the highest death toll of any incident involving an Airbus A300 anywhere in the world. Vincennes entered into Iranian territorial waters after sending one of its helicopters to buzz Iranian speedboats located inside Iranian waters, and the helicopter drew warning fire from the speedboats. IR655 was within Iranian airspace at the time it was shot down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Performing a Coup D'etat, blowing up one of their aircraft, and sanctioning their economy to try to make it fail are perfectly acceptable, even to lots and lots of (D)ems, now that their guy is calling the shots...

"the regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time" - That is what he actually said. The "wipe Israel off the map" crap was just a twisted translation for propaganda. Sounds like they have a problem with the leaders of Israel. Can't say I blame them, they constantly call for the U.S. and NATO to attack Iran. But you can take the translation any way you want. As for killing all the Jews, Iran has the largest Jewish population in the middle east besides Israel. Seems to me that if they wanted genocide they would start at home first.

Heres a link about the translation:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...jun/14/post155
    Click here for a free copper round. Every three people you get signed up, you get another free round! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

Quote Originally Posted by COpatriot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLiberty2012 View Post
    There's also a jewish representative in the Iran parliament
    Muslims make up about 20% of Israel parliament but I routinely read on RPF that Israel is committing genocide against Muslims so let's balance the two.

As far as Jews in Iran I am sure as long as they know their place they are tolerated as the are 0.0001% of the population. In truth conversion to Christianity in Iran is punishable by death and there is currently someone in Iran sitting on death row for this crime. So if that is their attitude to Christians I find it unlikely that their attitude towards Jews is much better.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    As far as Jews in Iran I am sure as long as they know their place they are tolerated as the are 0.0001% of the population.
    Where's your evidence for this, lying troll?

Is Iran killing Jewish kids in Gaza-like prison camps? Is Iran firing drones that kill Christian kids? Be sure to answer these questions, because I know your hatred for Muslims will prevent you from doing so.
    Last edited by ExPatPaki; 03-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.