Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul explains vote for Iran sanctions

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I'm glad that's cleared up.

Of course, I couldn't disagree with him more, but at least the speculation will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesc View Post
    at least the speculation will stop.
    I think the speculation now is whether he truly believes it will do some good or whether he did it to be a team player.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Can't sum it up for us?
    He said that he supports sanctions because he wants to do "something" rather than "nothing." He basically said that he takes a middle position of supporting sanctions against Iran but not war.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    I think the speculation now is whether he truly believes it will do some good or whether he did it to be a team player.
    Good point. I'll guess team player judging by the way he answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    He said that he supports sanctions because he wants to do "something" rather than "nothing." He basically said that he takes a middle position of supporting sanctions against Iran but not war.
    Yes, that's his explanation. I, for one, accept it.

On the other hand, I would urge Rand to always consider the economic and crony capitalist motivations that also come into play. In other words, this specific sanction strengthens the Fed.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Seems like a political move more than an ideological one. Democrats do this stuff all the time on "national defense" as de call it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    Seems like a political move more than an ideological one. Democrats do this stuff all the time on "national defense" as de call it.
    Yeah, every single Democrat in the Senate voted for the sanctions as well. And they're supposed to be the "anti war" party.

Rand has the right idea about the danger Iran poses once they obtain nuclear weapons.
    Let`s get Ron Paul into top 10 to generate headlines. We need more people.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900), Twilight of the Idols

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788 - 1860)

https://twitter.com/#!/JuicyGrabs

I've been told by people who work in his office that he voted for sanctions (on their central bank not on medical supplies and things of that nature) so that if it comes down to him having to stop the war by himself with a filibuster (or at least force a declaration) then he will have the political capital to say that he's been going through the "diplomatic" steps (because even though we know sanctions lead to war -- in the media they are portrayed as ways to prevent war). If he doesn't vote for any sanctions the perception is that, "oh well you tried to sit by and ignore it and because of that now we have to go in."

Again you may not agree with his tactics but his ultimate goal of preventing war and the fact that he's not voting for sanctions on medical supplies and food, etc. are what we want in a U.S. Senator.

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyG View Post
    Rand has the right idea about the danger Iran poses once they obtain nuclear weapons.
    You're certainly in the minority here.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor jones View Post
    I've been told by people who work in his office that he voted for sanctions (on their central bank not on medical supplies and things of that nature) so that if it comes down to him having to stop the war by himself with a filibuster (or at least force a declaration) then he will have the political capital to say that he's been going through the "diplomatic" steps (because even though we know sanctions lead to war -- in the media they are portrayed as ways to prevent war). If he doesn't vote for any sanctions the perception is that, "oh well you tried to sit by and ignore it and because of that now we have to go in."

Again you may not agree with his tactics but his ultimate goal of preventing war and the fact that he's not voting for sanctions on medical supplies and food, etc. are what we want in a U.S. Senator.
    Thanks for that information.

If we listen to his explanation, however, one would guess that of his three options (doing nothing, doing a little, and doing a lot) "doing nothing" would be the proper choice, based upon his four minute explanation. Since when is killing thousands of children and others with sanctions "doing a little...?" And, were I in that audience, I would have asked what his evidence is for Iran's nuclear weapons program? Since my understanding is the evidence has zero credibility (alleged English Power Point files off some lab worker's laptop PC...Rand..you're kidding, right???). And, since they have never attacked anyone, why is it, exactly, that they cannot have a nuclear weapon? Like the U.S., Pakistan, and Israel? Rand evaded the critical issues here. Very disappointing answer. Well, Rand is clearly playing politics. Hopefully with some bigger plan in mind.

I like his answer. He spoke against war and even said sanctions might not work.

You're certainly in the minority here.
    I'm a little confused- what is he in the minority about? Rand even brought up the Mossad saying Iran having nukes isn't an existential thread.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Since when is killing thousands of children and others with sanctions "doing a little...?" .
    The particular sanctions that Rand voted for aren't the same as the sanctions that killed thousands of children in Iraq. Those sanctions actually targeted food and medical supplies. This particular sanction simply targeted Iran's central bank. (Refer to the post by Doctor Jones above)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'm a little confused- what is he in the minority about? Rand even brought up the Mossad saying Iran having nukes isn't an existential thread.
    JuicyG sees Iran as a threat and supports a preemptive strike.

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyG View Post
    What is your evidence that they are trying to develop a nuclear weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I was referring to JuicyG who said that Iran will pose a dangerous threat if they ever get nuclear weapons.

The particular sanctions that Rand voted for aren't the same as the sanctions that killed thousands of children in Iraq. Those sanctions actually targeted food and medical supplies. This particular sanction simply targeted Iran's central bank. (Refer to the post by Doctor Jones above)
    But these sanctions are intended to cripple their GDP. Crippled GDP means no food and medicine. Possibly no shelter. Possibly sanitation services. Law enforcement. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Even if we send medical supplies they would perhaps be stolen by bureaucrats and thugs. This is ridiculous. Plus, as Ron Paul suggests, sanctions unify the people with their leadership, where before the leadership would be more vulnerable to political discord.

Rand should be making the "evidence" against Iran a very high profile issue in the Senate and in the media. I see where Rand is going with this. I just am worried as hell that that this begins his slippery slope towards political compromise after political compromise, until he is a generic Washington D.C. insider and only a mere shadow of his former self.
    Last edited by anaconda; 02-24-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    If we listen to his explanation, however, one would guess that of his three options (doing nothing, doing a little, and doing a lot) "doing nothing" would be the proper choice, based upon his four minute explanation. Since when is killing thousands of children and others with sanctions "doing a little...?" And, were I in that audience, I would have asked what his evidence is for Iran's nuclear weapons program? Since my understanding is the evidence has zero credibility (alleged English Power Point files off some lab worker's laptop PC...Rand..you're kidding, right???). And, since they have never attacked anyone, why is it, exactly, that they cannot have a nuclear weapon? Like the U.S., Pakistan, and Israel? Rand evaded the critical issues here. Very disappointing answer. Well, Rand is clearly playing politics. Hopefully with some bigger plan in mind.
    I hate to say it but he danced around the question like a neocon in waiting. Can't wait till we get our email answer, will he attempt to justify the vote, or simply state "I took the middle ground?" In fact I am gonna call back on Monday to let him know how disappointed I was by his inability or unwillingness to justify a vote for an act of war against a country that has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO US.

It appears Rand Paul is OK with people dying just because he is afraid of them getting the power to develop a nuclear weapon. A dangerous precedent for a man that has presidential aspirations. Is that the type of president we want? That sounds like the reasons we went into Iraq, preemptive actions based on fear and little else. This is truly a severe disappointment from Rand Paul, IMHO.
    Last edited by ryanmkeisling; 02-24-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    Sellout

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Run it bro I won't hit u back

It's just that rand is undermining us on our biggest hurdle with the GOP right here

Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    Run it bro I won't hit u back

It's just that rand is undermining us on our biggest hurdle with the GOP right here
    Yeah, but he still says that he's opposed to pre-emptive war against Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor jones View Post

This is roughly what I had surmised regarding Rand's motivations, as I wrote in the "Explanation..." thread. I still strongly doubt that Rand sincerely believes the sanctions are right; I think he decided it would be "spitting in the wind" to try to wage this battle, and went along with them to position himself as more of a "moderate" and "reasonable" person in the eyes of the mainstream.
    Last edited by MaxPower; 02-25-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Yeah, but he still says that he's opposed to pre-emptive war against Iran.
    Sanctions, while not a strike using weapons, are a preemptive strike. Sanctions=act of war. He is perpetuating the very thing that has brought us so much trouble. Sanctions are not diplomacy.
    Last edited by ryanmkeisling; 02-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Sanctions aren't always acts of war. It depends what happens. Refusing to do business is just boycotting. Stealing ('freezing assets that pass through US control') is aggressive.

Hes no Dr Ron Paul! Someone needs to inform the Senator that sanctions are an act of war and ultimately hurt the innocent people of Iran and unite them behind their leaders. He even cited examples of how they dont work... Face palm.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast