Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charity and Potential Ron Paul Publicity via ::Folding@home::

Exclamation Top 1000 of 200000+ teams: Folding@home Ron Paul 2012 Team needs help!

What is Folding@home?
    Folding@home is a program by Stanford University in which you contribute directly to scientific research by donating your computer's resources. The scientists send your computer work involving the way proteins fold together. Then, your computer automatically processes the work and sends back the results. When us Ron Paul supporters group together we can process a lot for charity/science and with enough support we can be in the top 10 or 100 of groups participating in the program!

To Participate
    Download the program from the Folding@home Homepage and read the instructions.
    Username: Make up a username not already in the system (check here to see if it is already used)
    Group/Team ID for Ron Paul 2012: 182919

The process to participate with multiple computers is the same as the first, just simply input the exact same username and Team ID as you put in the first one.

How is our team (Ron Paul 2012) doing?
    These are the official stats for our team.
    These are more detailed, independently created statistics.
    Another set of statistics.

Using your computer
    If your computer already has a hardware problem running the program might help make the problem more evident and it will cause normal wear and tear. If your computer has software problems like running super slow, adding this program might incrementally add to those existing problems. Your computer temperature should be monitored for overheating. Laptops are more prone to overheating with continual, heavy processing and should be closely monitored. The program will use your CPU (called SMP if you have multiple CPU cores) and Video Card (called GPU) if it is new enough. The CPU is designed to give priority to other programs but the GPU does not have that ability, so if you are going to game or something similar pause the GPU work. I had to update my video card drivers for the program to start using my GPU.

Please Participate!
    By joining you will have fun by contributing and seeing our team do great! Please post any of your questions about participating so we can get more people to join!
    Last edited by specialkornflake; 12-24-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Major Updates to Improve Understanding

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nicely done! There was another thread on folding@home but here people can get all info in one clean post, without browsing through all the pages.
    Let`s get Ron Paul into top 10 to generate headlines. We need more people.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900), Twilight of the Idols

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788 - 1860)

https://twitter.com/#!/JuicyGrabs

For example, when my video card started processing it makes an extra high-pitched noise that might be a sign of a start of a problem.
    Could also be "capacitor whine" which is harmless. Though it could be annoying or worrying so totally up to you.
    -----------

Another tip in general is if it has been awhile since you have blown out the dust on your computer it would to be good to do so to help lower temps. You can use the pre packed dust cans. Or even better (and free) is a blow nozzle if you have an air compressor. Just take the side panels off and have at it. If using the dust cans, I would just concentrate on the cpu/gpu and other heatsinks. If you have any left over be sure to get into the power supply as well.

Can anyone comment if this is safe to run continuously on what amounts to a budget ($400-$500) laptop? I downloaded the regular one since I don't have a video-card GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by cornell View Post
    Can anyone comment if this is safe to run continuously on what amounts to a budget ($400-$500) laptop? I downloaded the regular one since I don't have a video-card GPU.
    A new budget laptop is as fast as a high-end laptop two years ago (or something like that) so that's not a big consideration. This program runs just fine on computers that are 10 years old. It will simply just run slower. If you read the considerations in my post and the discussions in the other thread (one poster had concerns about laptops towards the end) and are comfortable with things then go for it!

thanks for consolidating this all into one clear source
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

Quote Originally Posted by cornell View Post
    You can try the beta as it uses all CPU cores. I believe the regular version only works single core.

Doesn`t matter you don`t have a video card. It will run just on CPU but use all the cores unlike the regular version.
    If you have an onboard video card, software will just ignore it and use CPU only.
    Last edited by JuicyG; 02-21-2012 at 02:21 AM.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've updated the original text to better reflect the advantages of the new Beta version that takes full advantage of your multi-core CPU and the graphics card. I'm trying to balance the first post between information and simplicity, let me know if you guys have any questions and I'll try to answer. On a side note, anyone know what's going on with Sullivan on our stat page? 186 WUs but no points.

We've broken into the top 4,000! Exactly: 3987 of 209711! We need more help to keep rising as fast as we have been!

I've cross-posted this to Daily Paul, I don't know how to make it more visible there: http://www.dailypaul.com/node/215651

Going up Team Ranking(incl. aggregate) 3758 of 209734

Still 22 members only. Any other volunteers?

I've been working hard to get people to join spread the word! I installed the Beta Client on my dual core laptop and I can tell that it's running hotter, so I've got it propped up so it should cool better. If you have a good video card that is an extremely effective way of helping.

Quote Originally Posted by steel-the-deal View Post
    Thanks Kornflake for the help!
    No problem looking forward to seeing you on the rankings!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 3610 of 209762.
    Making progress but we`re still only 22 active users.

Number of active CPUs jumped to 80, which is another milestone. We basically have 4CPUs/user on average. Not bad but imagine what we could do with few hundred users.

New member joined last night! We are Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 3576 of 209763!

We are up to 24 users now. We keep growing almost every day!

I was running the standard client on my laptop and it was running well. I installed the Beta Client which takes advantage of both core's of the CPU and have found the laptop is running hotter. I think it shut down due to the heat one time. I've positioned it so it gets more air and will watch it closer. It's a 5 year old laptop with some fan problems so this is no surprise. Keep an eye on your laptops! But I also just submitted a huge WU off of it, 2000 points!

Does anyone have advice for running the GPU client and not having it hinder desktop performance? As soon as I turn it on my desktop nearly locks up.

Windows 7, 64 bit, GeForce 560

If Folding can't co-exist with my general usage then I can't run it.

Quote Originally Posted by LopTarDaBoo View Post
    Does anyone have advice for running the GPU client and not having it hinder desktop performance? As soon as I turn it on my desktop nearly locks up.

Hmm. Maybe turn down the desktop graphic settings?

Go to Control Panel, System&Security, System and click on Advanced System Settings. Click on the Settings in the Performance tab. There you can click on "Adjust for best performance". You might want to leave "smooth edges of screen fonts" activated but can leave all rest disabled.

Try updating your Video Card drivers. Turn off Aero and the Clock thing that appears if they are on. In general, decrease the number of running background programs. Do this and let us know the results and we will go from there!

Generally speaking the computer itself is not taxed. Plenty of RAM (8 gig), few running programs, etc. It's just that when I kick off Folding on the GPU it seems to want to use ALL of the GPU--to the exclusion of general desktop work.

I did try turning off the graphical fancies and the video drivers were updated last night, but it's still slow.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Generally speaking the computer itself is not taxed. Plenty of RAM (8 gig), few running programs, etc. It's just that when I kick off Folding on the GPU it seems to want to use ALL of the GPU--to the exclusion of general desktop work.

I did try turning off the graphical fancies and the video drivers were updated last night, but it's still slow.
    Just to check to be sure, your computer was fast and then folding at home was installed and then it is much slower? By general desktop tasks you mean like microsoft office and moving files and stuff? I'll look at this more tonight and see if I have any ideas. If all else fails, you can pause the folding while you are working and run it overnight.

I have an old Dell pentium 4 with 2 gigs ram, that I keep running just to access certain files I may need once in a while. If I clean up all the crap that might be running in the background on that thing, would it be worth using in this effort?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Calling Ron Paul an isolationist is like calling your neighbor a hermit, because he doesn't come over your property and break your windows. - Dave Hebel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://freedom4um.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JimInNY View Post
    I have an old Dell pentium 4 with 2 gigs ram, that I keep running just to access certain files I may need once in a while. If I clean up all the crap that might be running in the background on that thing, would it be worth using in this effort?
    2 Gigs RAM is actually a lot for an older computer. And really pentium 4 is not that long ago in my mind. Of course, I recommend backing up anything on your old computer (as you should do anyway), and sometimes an old computer is good to do a full Operating System reinstall to clean up. By participating you will be contributing, the whole idea of distributed computing is you don't need an amazing computer to help! It's fun to participate!

Quote Originally Posted by specialkornflake View Post
    2 Gigs RAM is actually a lot for an older computer. And really pentium 4 is not that long ago in my mind. Of course, I recommend backing up anything on your old computer (as you should do anyway), and sometimes an old computer is good to do a full Operating System reinstall to clean up. By participating you will be contributing, the whole idea of distributed computing is you don't need an amazing computer to help! It's fun to participate!
    I have some programs on there that I cannot (or donot know how to) move to my new computer, so I don't want to mess with it too much, but it does sit there idle 24/7 doing nothing. I may as well put it to good use. I'll go fiddle with it in a few and see what happens.

Thanks!
    Calling Ron Paul an isolationist is like calling your neighbor a hermit, because he doesn't come over your property and break your windows. - Dave Hebel

I'm up and running. Hopefully my old machine with be able to handle it. lol

I have a question for the super geeks doing this...

Do I have to open port 80 on my firewall for this to work? I use McAfee Internet Security Suite.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast