Thread: US Embassy: Palestinian Territories Go Green with $100 Million of U.S. Tax Dollars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

US Embassy: Palestinian Territories Go Green with $100 Million of U.S. Tax Dollars

Going Green in the West Bank

US Embassy.gov
    Feb. 2012

The U.S. government is spending $100 million over five years to construct environmentally and socially sustainable buildings in the Palestinian Territories through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

The colorful Safeer Center, a West Bank child care program, was one of the first to open. Its energy-efficient insulation (visible through a small cutout), rainwater collection system and temperature-regulating window shades provide a healthy facility for more than 3,000 children.

Other projects include a school built to meet stringent third-party-verified “green” certification standards and a community center. These and others provide models for efficiency in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, where the mostly imported energy is expensive.

At first, some occupants question maintenance costs, but “green” technology often uses simple systems and sometimes forgotten designs, such as Middle Eastern courtyards, which provide natural ventilation. Made of local materials, the buildings create jobs and healthier communities.

Six months after the Palestinian Child Care Society moved into the green Safeer Center in December 2010, electricity costs dropped by half and water usage by two-thirds, releasing money for programs, staff, computers and more.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 02-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow. This is such an outrage.

It makes you want to knock the $#@! out of these politicians who say they can't find anything to cut.
    "Unlike my opponents, I'm not running from my voting record. I'm not running from my public statements. I'm not running from my predictions. I'm running on them." -Ron Paul

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken

I am a non-interventionist,anti-Fed, anti-drug war socially conservative Paul supporter(i.e. paleocon)

So we spent all this money on building this $#@!, and in a couple weeks we are going to spend a similar amount subsidizing its being blown up. America rocks!
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    So we spent all this money on building this $#@!, and in a couple weeks we are going to spend a similar amount subsidizing its being blown up. America rocks!
    ^This...lol.
    Click here for a free copper round. Every three people you get signed up, you get another free round! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

Don't worry, the Israelis will bomb it in the future. Gaza/Westt Bank are allocated an additional $513 million in aide for FY2013. But look @ the bottom.

The true outrage, should be targeted at WHO the US State Department gave the contract to build this stuff... This is where and when the fascist crony state is revealed.

PS: Don't forget, back at the American homestead, CONGRESS is cutting Unemployment in critical areas down to 67 weeks... cutting Medicare, etc but allocating $100 millions into developing hightech bunker busting bombs.

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 02-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

OP should have first started thread on 3 billion yearly blowback generating, non-green aid to Israel. Palestinians remind me of Jesus, as long as we fund their occupation/oppression, they should get 3 billion yearly in oppression compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    Don't worry, the Israelis will bomb it in the future. Gaza/Westt Bank are allocated an additional $513 million in aide for FY2013. But look @ the bottom.

The true outrage, should be targeted at WHO the US State Department gave the contract to build this stuff... This is where and when the fascist crony state is revealed.

PS: Don't forget, back at the American homestead, CONGRESS is cutting Unemployment in critical areas down to 67 weeks... cutting Medicare, etc but allocating $100 millions into developing hightech bunker busting bombs.
    +rep
    Last edited by moderate libertarian; 02-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moderate libertarian View Post
    OP should have first started thread on 3 billion yearly blowback generating, non-green aid to Israel. Palestinians remind me of Jesus, as long as we fund their occupation/oppression, they should get 3 billion yearly in oppression compensation.

+rep
    I just love the discovered wisdom here. The Palestinians are blameless in the face of the Israeli behemoth? Yet, Israel has enemies encircling it, a prospect that would have Americans wetting their pants daily if they had to face it. And the Palestinians could have peace for their people with concessions from both sides today, if they simply stopped doing the fighting for other countries who care not at all about them.

Seems to me that the Palestinians and Israelis should have a lot in common. And all the meddling from us, and about fifty other countries, is keeping them from realizing it and acting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BKom View Post
    I just love the discovered wisdom here. The Palestinians are blameless in the face of the Israeli behemoth? Yet, Israel has enemies encircling it, a prospect that would have Americans wetting their pants daily if they had to face it. And the Palestinians could have peace for their people with concessions from both sides today, if they simply stopped doing the fighting for other countries who care not at all about them.

Seems to me that the Palestinians and Israelis should have a lot in common. And all the meddling from us, and about fifty other countries, is keeping them from realizing it and acting on it.
    I didn't mean to imply any of the two sides was blameless, I meant to say Palestinians appear to be oppressed and weaker in this conflict and not vice versa.

I agree they have a lot in common, both have been abused (by different parties) and live in fear, both use terrorism against each other and both are semites to name a few common things. But crucial factor is that billions of dollars non-green aid and free bombs/bulldozers that we give to Israel to enable its occupation/oppression of mostly unarmed Palestinians placed in open air prison contributes to blowbacks like 9/11, TSA gropes against us whereas green aid does not.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderate libertarian View Post
    I didn't mean to imply any of the two sides was blameless, I meant to say Palestinians appear to be oppressed and weaker in this conflict and not vice versa.

I agree they have a lot in common, both have been abused (by different parties) and live in fear, both use terrorism against each other and both are semites to name a few common things. But crucial factor is that billions of dollars non-green aid and free bombs/bulldozers that we give to Israel to enable its occupation/oppression of mostly unarmed Palestinians placed in open air prison contributes to blowbacks like 9/11, TSA gropes against us whereas green aid does not.
    You may see the Palestinians as being oppressed and weaker, but that is really only in the short term. If you think in the long term, Israel is much more in peril than the Palestinians. Look at all the pseudo love that pours into the Palestinians from around the world. And look at the almost universal condemnation of Israel that pours in from the same places. Look at all the countries that will not trade with Israel. In fact, there are only a handful that will. The world embargoes Iran, and the Chinese and Soviets give them tons of stuff anyway, and everyone wonders how long it will take before Iran goes to war to protect its interests. Yet, Israel has the U.S. and Germany, and ironically, China as trading partners and almost nobody else of any size, and everyone wonders why they are paranoid about their security.

Everyone has to ask themselves one question regarding the Israeli-Palestinian problem. If the Palestinians decided they wanted peace today, how much would Israel do to make it happen within 24 hours? The answer is a whole lot. And in fact, the Israelis had an agreement in Oslo with Arafat, at which time he got up from the table and "consulted" with other Arab leaders, and suddenly there was no agreement. This is not a case of two countries/entities that cannot come to an agreement. This is a case of outside interference causing an unsolvable problem.
    Last edited by BKom; 02-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Those criminals have the nerve to smile...
    Best of luck in life.

Electing Ron is a great endeavor. But when will you people be ready to end all this bull$#@!?

ffs, 50 years?! http://50.usaid.gov/
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

I'd rather that money go to Palestinian day care centers than Israeli bombs and bulldozers...

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I'd rather that money go to Palestinian day care centers than Israeli bombs and bulldozers...
    The current Regime just did this:

The Pentagon's new budget request moves $3 billion of military pay and benefits out of the base budget into the war budget in an accounting maneuver experts and congressional staffers say is meant to get around legally mandated budget caps and bolster the administration's plan to cut the size of the Army and Marines.
    Once again, it's government stealing from the troops to procure WAR... probably the debt from Libya, funnel Weapons of Mass Destruction into Syria, maybe some more Black OPS with more funds to overthrow Iran or bribe Russia again to abstain on a new UN resolution. (Remember, Obama bought over a BILLION in US funds for Russian Hind helicopters to the Afghan air force for an obstention on UN res 1973.)
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran