Thread: Fructose is found to increase cardiovascular and diabetes risk in adolescents

Fructose is found to increase cardiovascular and diabetes risk in adolescents

Fructose is found to increase cardiovascular and diabetes risk in adolescents

John Phillip
    NaturalNews
    February 15, 2012

Researchers at the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University have published evidence that cardiovascular disease and diabetes risk is present in the blood fractions of adolescents who consume a lot of fructose, a scenario that worsens in the face of excess belly fat. Published in the Journal of Nutrition, scientists determined that high dietary fructose consumption results in lower levels of cardiovascular protectors such as HDL cholesterol and adiponectin, due in part to how the body metabolizes the fruit-based mega-sweetener at the cellular level. Excess body fat accumulated around the mid-section, a rapidly growing problem in adolescents, compounds the problem when compared to those with less visceral fat deposits. A wealth of scientifically validated research studies now highlight the importance of eliminating fructose in all its forms from the diets of both adults and children alike to dramatically reduce risk of diabetes and heart disease.

The study detailed an analysis of 559 adolescents, aged 14 to 18 and detailed cardiovascular risk factors including high blood pressure, fasting glucose, insulin resistance and blood inflammatory factors. Excess fat around the midsection was found to exacerbate the identified risk factors, as compared to those with generalized fat right beneath the skin known as subcutaneous fat, where an association was not evident.

Fructose metabolism increases risk from metabolic and fatty liver disease

Consumption of fructose is higher in children and adolescents, placing them at increased risk for heart disease and metabolic disorders such as diabetes. Fructose or simple fruit sugar is naturally found in fruits and vegetables where it is closely bound with fiber and is slowly released into the blood stream. Many processed food and drink manufacturers use liberal quantities of pure high fructose corn syrup extract that is metabolized through a different pathway as compared to glucose or table sugar.

One of the study authors, Dr. Norman Pollock noted “Fructose itself is metabolized differently than other sugars and has some byproducts that are believed to be bad for us… there’s something in the syrup processing that plays a role in the bad byproducts of metabolism.” The Corn Refiners Association, through a never ending barrage of advertisements, wants you to believe that there is no difference between high fructose corn syrup and regular sugar. Medical research has documented that fructose is processed primarily in the liver where it wreaks havoc, leading to fatty liver disease and even cirrhosis after excessive and repeated exposure.

Parents and caregivers to children will want to dramatically curb or eliminate fructose in the diet by removing processed foods and sugary beverages. Limit fruit consumption and natural fruit juices that can lead to excess consumption of the fruit sugar. It is especially important to read nutritional labels as fructose and high fructose corn syrup appear in many unsuspecting food sources. Nutrition experts recommend limiting natural fructose consumption to no more than 25 grams per day at an early age to minimize the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in later life.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0124140317.htm

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/142/2/251

Hyperlinks in original article:
    http://www.infowars.com/fructose-is-...n-adolescents/
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fructose also tends to cause leptin insensitivity. Leptin is the hormone that tells your body to stop eating. So fructose tends to cause gorging. If I eat more than a few bites of fruit, my appetite takes off. Since fruit was an uncommon item before agriculture, and when found was not remotely as big or sweet as what we have now, it may have been that fructose was a biological signal to chow down while the gettin' is good. Not such a good plan now.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

And don't forget the addition of HIGH fructose corn syrup to almost everything you by...... Hmmmm. Highest childhood obesity and diabetes in history. Eating a banana or an apple is NOT the same as the GM additions to our food supply. While fruit may be over consumed in some sectors, it is not the cause of the increase in disease, highly concentrated sugars on the other hand.....
    “The state can't give you freedom, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free.” ~ Utah Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Fructose also tends to cause leptin insensitivity. Leptin is the hormone that tells your body to stop eating. So fructose tends to cause gorging. If I eat more than a few bites of fruit, my appetite takes off. Since fruit was an uncommon item before agriculture, and when found was not remotely as big or sweet as what we have now, it may have been that fructose was a biological signal to chow down while the gettin' is good. Not such a good plan now.

True overall. But, fruit plays a very important role in the human diet. It is when and how you eat it that makes a difference.
    “The state can't give you freedom, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free.” ~ Utah Phillips

I don't think this study is valid. They need to distinguish between HFCS and fructose from fruit.

Just because they measure a lot of fructose doesn't mean it is coming from fruit or fruit juice, it's probably coming from soda.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I don't get it...

Big agriculture told me that fructose was the same as any other sugar.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I don't get it...

And.... first saccharin then aspartame and the other "crap" is a healthy alternative to sweeten everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I don't get it...

I lmao'ed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I don't think this study is valid. They need to distinguish between HFCS and fructose from fruit.

Just because they measure a lot of fructose doesn't mean it is coming from fruit or fruit juice, it's probably coming from soda.
    I was just about to say this lol. Thanks Danno You're correct... they do not differentiate between natural fructose found in healthy fruits and the chemically refined HFCS. Fruits are obviously good for you; however, high fructose corn syrup is not.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 02-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

agra~business for 7 decades swears by fructose

Too much of anything is bad for you. The study says "high" frucose diets caused problems but the article does not say what a "high" level would be. Is that the equivelent of 20 cans of soda?

I agree with Danno- it did not distinguish between sugar fructose in sodas and cheap foods which offer no other nutritional value and fruits and vegetables which add vitimins, minerals, and possibly fiber which ARE benificial to the body.

I have questions about how the consumption rate of sucrose was determined as well. It seems to be based on asking the kids what they had eaten in the previous 24 hours- not a long term examination of eating habits.

Their conclusions are probably correct- but the study does still have problems.

Researchers examined 559 14- to 18-year-olds in Georgia, recording body mass index, exercise habits and fat mass. They also asked what the students had consumed in the past 24 hours and measured their body fat.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/he...orts.html?_r=1

Body mass index is not a particularly useful number either- it basically measures pounds per inch of height. I could be tall and skinny with poor muscles and some body fat or could be compact and strong with big muscles and very low body fat. In the first case, I would be considered to have a more "desirable" physique (low BMI) than the second- though I could be less healthy than the second one.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Fruits are obviously good for you.
    In strict moderation, most fruit is good for you. Large quantities of sugary fruit? Highly debatable. But whole foods are nearly always better for you than industrial extracts.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    In strict moderation, most fruit is good for you. Large quantities of sugary fruit? Highly debatable. But whole foods are nearly always better for you than industrial extracts.
    Not sure, but I believe high quantities of fruit is much less harmful (if harmful) than even moderate amounts of HFCS.

Rev9

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Not sure, but I believe high quantities of fruit is much less harmful (if harmful) than even moderate amounts of HFCS.

Rev9
    I concur.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by SL89
    And don't forget the addition of HIGH fructose corn syrup to almost everything you buy.

Plus the fact it is made from GMO corn

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post

Rev9
    Whole food is pretty much always better than the extract. So I agree.

And I may be particularly sensitive to fructose. I don't know.

But I think anyone who slams down a couple pears in a few minutes is in for all the problems fructose has to offer, including insulin spike, leptin desensitization, and liver trauma. Those things can be easily tolerated on occasion and maybe even offer some health benefits. I think fruit gorging (and honey gorging) have been with humans for their entire existence. But always on a very sporadic basis until the advent of agriculture and selective breeding.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.