Thread: Possible reason for our current Foreign Policy?

Possible reason for our current Foreign Policy?

So I'm reading The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek and came across this passage:

Quote Originally Posted by [Economic Survey for 1947, Cmd. 7046 (London: HMSO, 1947), p. 5. -Ed]
    "There is an essential difference between totalitarian and democratic planning. The former subordinates all individual desires and preferences to the demand of the State. For this purpose, it uses various methods of compulsion upon the individual which deprive him of his freedom of choice. Such methods may be necessary even in a democratic country during the extreme emergency of a great war. Thus the British people gave their war time Government the power to direct labour. But in normal times the people of a democratic country will not give up their freedom of choice to their Government. A democratic Government must therefore conduct its economic planning in a manner which preserves maximum possible freedom of choice to the individual citizen."
    We all know that The United States is a Federal Republic with limited democracy, but if the above statement is to be believed, "Such methods may be necessary even in a democratic country during the extreme emergency of a great war" - could that be a possible reason as to why our Government wants to continuously forge its way into wars? To usurp some of our freedoms?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by peluski17 View Post
    So I'm reading The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek and came across this passage:

We all know that The United States is a Federal Republic with limited democracy, but if the above statement is to be believed, "Such methods may be necessary even in a democratic country during the extreme emergency of a great war" - could that be a possible reason as to why our Government wants to continuously forge its way into wars? To usurp some of our freedoms?
    I know the conspiracy theorists are going to throw a $#@! fit for me saying this, but I think that the US still goes to war because of the conventional reasons. (resources and anger)
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

"War Is A Racket" It pays BIG BUCKS! If you can get the contract to sell hammers to the government, then go to China and buy them for $0.39 and sell them to the military for $100. Buy yourself a lobbyist, a mansion, Congressman, Senator, tee times and yacht.

It kind of works the same with drones too. Drones sell for $100,800,000.00 each now and the demand for them is going up every day.
    War Drums: Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran... Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran.

Plus, it creates a lot of jobs which are always a plus during election season.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan