Thread: The BEST argument to decriminalize drugs

Lightbulb The BEST argument to decriminalize drugs

The fountain of wealth derived from people's drug habits shouldn't go into the bad guys pockets.

Legalizing and regulating drugs is the way to manage the problem.

A user would simply have to prove to a doctor he was an addict, get a prescription, go to a pharmacy
    and get it filled, all in a safe environment.

The money would be taxed like cigarettes, soda, gas and any other commodity.
    Remember humans are people too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Illegal Drugs are the only free market in the world

I disagree. Once you legalize it you'd have to regulate it, or at least that's what the government thinks. So that means entire new forms of government policing units and new government bearus costing more taxpayer money. I think it'd balance out any tax wealth gained.

I think the best argument is that once you grant the government the power to regulate your body against your will in one way it'll justify using that more to regulate your body in all ways. It'll tell you what to eat, drink, when to eat or drink, where to do, how to do so, how much you can have etc etc etc Bette rto enver begin down that slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I disagree. Once you legalize it you'd have to regulate it, or at least that's what the government thinks. So that means entire new forms of government policing units and new government bearus costing more taxpayer money. I think it'd balance out any tax wealth gained.

I think the best argument is that once you grant the government the power to regulate your body against your will in one way it'll justify using that more to regulate your body in all ways. It'll tell you what to eat, drink, when to eat or drink, where to do, how to do so, how much you can have etc etc etc Bette rto enver begin down that slippery slope.
    Regulating it wouldn't be that hard to do, there are already systems in place to manage it.

I think the best argument is always, "have you ever done any drug illegaly?" If yes(vast majority), "do you think you belong in jail for it?"
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-11-2012 at 10:52 AM.

?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty4life View Post
    Regulating it wouldn't be that hard to do, there are already systems in place to manage it.
    Four questions:

1. What would be the Constitutional source of authority for the government to "regulate" drug use?

2. What would be the moral authority for one person to use force to tell another person what they can and cannot do with their own mind and body?

3. Can you think of any group of human beings LESS qualified to set standards for personal behavior than the US Congress?

4. You like the way the legal pharmaceutical scam works so much that you want to add a bigger market to their monopoly?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I just don't think people should be put in jail for usage. Or for that matter, have a criminal record that might prevent them from getting a job. I am anti-drug and have never used them although I have been around pot my entire life. The war on drugs is a complete waste of money and it only feeds the prison industrial complex which is comprised of - wait for it - UNIONS. If someone wants to do whatever in their house as long as it doesn't harm someone else directly, so be it, and that includes drugs.

Seriously, how much money as been spent on the failed war on drugs? $600B so far? Yet, somewhere between 30-40% of Americans smoke pot.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Four questions:

1. What would be the Constitutional source of authority for the government to "regulate" drug use?

2. What would be the moral authority for one person to use force to tell another person what they can and cannot do with their own mind and body?

3. Can you think of any group of human beings LESS qualified to set standards for personal behavior than the US Congress?

4. You like the way the legal pharmaceutical scam works so much that you want to add a bigger market to their monopoly?
    1 Each state would have its own laws regarding it.
    2 Only in the sense that it is detrimental to others. Good arguments can be made for both sides, possibly in a better system there would be a blend that satisfied everyone.
    3 Since it would be a states issue, its a non issue.
    4 This would be the easiest path to correction, use systems that are already in place, just dig out the rotten parts
    Last edited by Liberty4life; 03-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.

If you legalize marijuana specifically, in my opinion, it opens up the door for private companies to conduct research on the plant without fear of the federal government regulations or crackdowns. This will allow us to find out the TRUE benefits and harms of consuming marijuana..and the best ways to cultivate it and use it.

Here's something huge too: You can make it happen with a couple of signatures and votes. A couple of signatures and votes aren't going to save the economy. Just take a single step to help our economy JUST a little bit. It hardly takes any time at all.

I want it to be an option for patients suffering life threatening illnesses, but I'm not going to pretend to be a scientist just because I read some maybe true, maybe not so true facts about it on the internet or that I saw in a documentary. Open up the door for research. Right now companies are afraid to research marijuana because they are afraid of what the government will do to them.

I also find it funny that many hemp products are circulated in the United States. It is one of our largest imports, but it is illegal to grow it? Money we spend on imports need to be made up for with exports, so it's just a burden on the country to make hemp illegal but continuing to buy it from other countries.
    Last edited by Massachusetts; 03-01-2012 at 08:34 PM.

What people decide to put into their bodies is their own decision (food, drugs, whatever). It also shouldn't be taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty4life View Post
    Which at best would only expand. At worst they would create new bureaucracies to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by aannaa0101@yahoo.com View Post
    I think so too
    You think you'll spam for that same site?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...