Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large turnout in Maine, good for Paul?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large turnout in Maine, good for Paul?

Just saw this on the Maine GOP website. The GOP there has been ecstatic about the large turnout at the caucuses so far, but something tells me, this bodes very well for paul.

Look at this:

As reported by Aroostook County Republican Chairman, Hayes Gahagan over half of the attendees had never participated in a town caucus before. For the first time in more than a generation, the Fort Kent Caucus, in the heart of the Saint John Valley, included many former Democrats who have re-enrolled as Republicans. One of the most frequently stated reasons for the change was take-over of the national Democratic Party by radical liberals.

All Counties are reporting large turn outs. James Carlton, Lincoln County Chair, reported standing room only with attendance touching 400 and was one of the largest caucuses ever held there with 16 towns participating. Sagadahoc County Chair, Kyle Rogers reported tremendous success with this being the most attended in over 10 years with all ten towns participating. He also reported that all slates are filled with traditional candidates who stand for limited government while protecting the neediest and believe in setting priorities that keep the State of Maine on a sound financial footing.

So in Maine we have:

-People who have never caucused before
    -Democrats crossing over
    -Excitement and unusually large crowds

All these things seem to show a strong Paul presence, I really hope Maine can lead the nation here...
    "Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul with a heart, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He just dominated Westbrook, so I think it is good news. Romney won Westbrook back in 08. I think if we can keep momentum in Maine, we can win the state.

Please, ... let Dr. Paul win at least one state. He above so many, actually, deserves it.

We can only hope.

I'm feeling pretty damn optimistic about Maine and thinking we can pull out a top three finish in Minnesota, possibly even first or second. But Maine.... yeah, I'm really liking what I've been hearing there!

It seems as though large, rather than small turnout, helps Paul.

Large turnout means people who don't always vote are voting, and those are our people.
    “When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.” -CS Lewis

Don't forget the 24 Maine delegates...

24 total delegates - 10 base at-large / 6 re: 2 congressional districts / 3 party / 5 bonus
    Saturday 5 May - Sunday 6 May 2012: District Caucuses and State Convention. The National Convention delegates are elected during the 2nd day of the State Convention.

* 6 district delegates are elected by caucus participants from each of Maine's 2 Congressional districts. These delegates will attend the Republican National Convention officially unbound to any Presidential candidate.
    o CD 1: 3
    o CD 2: 3
    * 15 delegates are elected by the Maine State Convention as a whole. These delegates will attend the Republican National Convention officially unbound.
    * 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Maine's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unbound delegates by virtue of their position.
    To remind you, IA 28, NH 12, SC 25, FL 50 (So it's 2x NH delegates at steak and about 1/2 FL)

This would be a nice boost. Certainly for intrade markets... I remember the chance for RP actually winning a single Caucus/Primary was at 35%, at the moment of writing this it is at 25%...

edit; source the greenpapers
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 02-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.

I'll believe it when the results come in.

Maine is going to be good.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This is happening today? (just got out of class so I don't know what's going on)
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

This could go either way. It could be large numbers because of all the "new" people voting for Paul. Or it could mean Paul was polling well and the others are rallying their troops...

Quote Originally Posted by bcreps85 View Post
    This could go either way. It could be large numbers because of all the "new" people voting for Paul. Or it could mean Paul was polling well and the others are rallying their troops...
    Except nobody else is rallying their troops. Newt and Santorum are totally absent from Maine. Our campaign there is superior to Romney's.

Why is ME so weird with the caucus time/count, taking 1 full week to get results? Why isn't like the rest where it is counted in one day? The one state where we have a great chance to win, has to take this long? Just worries me taking 1 full week will allow for more bs to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Student Of Paulism View Post
    Why is ME so weird with the caucus time/count, taking 1 full week to get results? Why isn't like the rest where it is counted in one day? The one state where we have a great chance to win, has to take this long? Just worries me taking 1 full week will allow for more bs to occur.
    are you or are you not for local control? Each community has their own time for a caucus. They've been trickling in for 2 weeks and despite the 'call' of the straw vote on the 11th, a couple will probably trickle in afterwards.

We do better with independent people, though.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

It was good in NH, because they were new GOP voters, and predominantly Ron's. BUT it means Romney will be focused on the big caucus in Portsmouth this weekend and we REALLY have to take it, it is big enough to wipe out a lot of little wins in the more rural areas.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Maine is the best shot we have... I wish all caucuses were set up like this:

Discounting the fact of reports we took over lots of the party positions such as Committee members and chairs;

Consider;
    The caucus is held over a 2 week period. If we have a ground team of 100 campaign staffers/interns/activists, they can move around the state for those 2 weeks and GOTV for each community, instead of one state-wide mad dash for the 3 days leading up to single day caucuses. It's really 14(or more) mini-elections.

This allows the team to focus on each caucus and to knock on more doors, make more calls, and be better organized overall.

We need to become the GOP and make each state like Maine.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
    Consider;
    The caucus is held over a 2 week period. If we have a ground team of 100 campaign staffers/interns/activists, they can move around the state for those 2 weeks and GOTV for each community, instead of one state-wide mad dash for the 3 days leading up to single day caucuses. It's really 14(or more) mini-elections.
    IMO, ME has the most confusing caucus system. However, that isn't bad for Paul because his supporters are a little more likely to try to figure it out. There are occasional volunteers from NH and even MA helping out the ME activists and small amount of official campaign people but 100 isn't the right number and a lot of the folks aren't moving around. You idea isn't bad but it isn't exactly happening like that, unfortunately, as there just aren't enough people involved.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    IMO, ME has the most confusing caucus system. However, that isn't bad for Paul because his supporters are a little more likely to try to figure it out. There are occasional volunteers from NH and even MA helping out the ME activists and small amount of official campaign people but 100 isn't the right number and a lot of the folks aren't moving around. You idea isn't bad but it isn't exactly happening like that, unfortunately, as there just aren't enough people involved.
    The campaign is badly organized from what Ive seen and heard. We shouldve done a bit better in Iowa (not my main complaint) and definitely shouldve done much better in Nevada. Thats our first contest that wasnt doubled. Vote manipulation aside, they can only rig elections too a certain point in this country.

The heck with steak.

The best sticky buns we have ever tasted in Portland Maine last year while on a cruise.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/standard-baking-co-the-portland

Make sure you get them with the walnuts on them. To kill for. Next the blueberry pie further north bar harbor I believe, along with the lobstar rolls same place.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/207/1053...-Cafe-Rockland

Great people that run and own the restaurant. We had the blueberry pie, went back for the lobster rolls and more pie and died and went to heaven.

No interest in either restaurant other than people flocked to both of them and great food.

I am drooling.

You keep saying portsmouth, you mean Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by CTRattlesnake View Post
    Just saw this on the Maine GOP website. The GOP there has been ecstatic about the large turnout at the caucuses so far, but something tells me, this bodes very well for paul.

Look at this:

So in Maine we have:

-People who have never caucused before
    -Democrats crossing over
    -Excitement and unusually large crowds

All these things seem to show a strong Paul presence, I really hope Maine can lead the nation here...
    Yes, we won the first-time caucusgoers in Iowa. This is very good news.

Agreed looks really good in Maine.

I don't think large turnout is a good thing for Ron. It could help Romney.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I don't think large turnout is a good thing for Ron. It could help Romney.

Disagree.

Maine is different from other states. It is one of the lowest turnout caucus's in the nation. Romney won with 2,000 votes in 08.

That tells us that people dont go to the Maine caucus, and it makes perfect sense....no one wants to drag themselves out of their house in the middle of february to go to some hour long thing.

The fact that a lot of people are showing up means that there is EXCITEMENT this time, and i'd be willing to bet that Ron is driving that, not Mitt. So the fact that people are actually attending one of the least attended caucuses in the nation is good IMO.
    "Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul with a heart, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul"

So when do we get the RESULTS for Maine?
    "People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome."

– George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by UK4Paul View Post
    So when do we get the RESULTS for Maine?
    Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Saturday
    Thanks
    "People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome."

– George Orwell

Why is nobody talking about this exerpt:

"He also reported that all slates are filled with traditional candidates who stand for limited government while protecting the neediest and believe in setting priorities that keep the State of Maine on a sound financial footing."

Quote Originally Posted by BrittanySligar View Post
    Why is nobody talking about this exerpt:

"He also reported that all slates are filled with traditional candidates who stand for limited government while protecting the neediest and believe in setting priorities that keep the State of Maine on a sound financial footing."
    "Traditional" is a vague word.

Remember, this is of the Maine GOP website, there trying to build up support for their cause. To a liberal, Mitt and Ron are both considered 'traditional'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast