Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any cell phone models that are privacy oriented?

Question Any cell phone models that are privacy oriented?

For those who do not wish to be constantly purchasing and throwing away prepaid cell phones, does anyone know of a site/resource that shows which models of phones have features such as...

No internal GPS chip, easy airplane mode to counter microphone functionality, no camera, etc.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I assume all cell phones are backdoored all to $#@!, can be used to listen to me even when I'm not talking to anyone, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Endgame View Post
    I assume all cell phones are backdoored all to $#@!, can be used to listen to me even when I'm not talking to anyone, etc.
    I wonder how effective "airplane mode" is in disabling the microphone...

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    I wonder how effective "airplane mode" is in disabling the microphone...
    Doubt it. Only sure way is to remove the battery. One problem; try doing that with an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Doubt it. Only sure way is to remove the battery. One problem; try doing that with an iPhone.
    Effin apple.

I don't know anyone dumb enough to use an iPhone...

I can't imagine you can trust any of them.

If I were doing something of a sensitive nature, I would just buy burners with cash and ditch them periodically.

Let's think about this....

First off all cell phones must be approved by the FCC.

Secondly, in the US, essentially cellphones are subsidized by the carriers (Sprint, TMobile, ATT etc). You typially can only get a phone for a reasonable price if you sign up for a contract. This means that cell phone manufacturers sell THRU the carriers and thus the carriers get to dictate what phones they carry and what the specs of the phone are. Oh and the carriers are a government-granted cartel.

So, what do you think?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's plenty

Apple sold 17.07 million iPhones in Q42011.
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/18Apple-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-Results.html

And doesn't the NSA monitor all phone calls (and electronic communication) anyway?

Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Feelgood View Post
    Not hardly. Those things are analog, not digital. AND they are unencrypted. Anyone with an 800mHz scanner from RadShack can listen in on them.

You might look at using a VOIP app instead. I use Line2 on my iPad. Works fine on WiFi networks. I haven't activated the cell data plan, so I can't say how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    First off all cell phones must be approved by the FCC.
    Only to be sold in the US, though. There are European and Asian market phones that you can put an American sim card into and use.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Which battery? Cell phones have 2.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

The game I am revamping had 5 million downloads for iPhones. A bit of hyperbole on your part I would say.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

Quote Originally Posted by RiseAgainst View Post
    Effin apple.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

$#@! Da Man.

Tool to open iPhone 4 case, 5 Point Pentalobe TS1 Screwdriver, Precision Tip NEW

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3104046...Types&var=sbar

I use an Android, and Im sure if someone really wanted to they could reprogram the phone to make it untappable if the phone was rooted. The NSA would probably send the notice to have youre provider shut you off though.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

i have been only buying phones with no gps (although you can still be tracked, just not as closely) or hack them to disable it . i then open them and remove the speaker phone . i work on electronics for a living so that easier said than done .
    unfortunately i do not believe this can be done for profit commercially because of digital copyright laws .
    You are the Universe experiencing itself

<---

I like how it browses the internet. It positively sucks as a phone.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    <---

I like how it browses the internet. It positively sucks as a phone.
    yep , as far as the phone part of the device is concerned the cell i had in 1998 worked better . its basically an ipod touch combined with the worst cell phone made by man .
    You are the Universe experiencing itself

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dude, we have street lights that can listen to your conversations and drones the size of flies that can fly in amazing synchronized dance formations. I think a cell phone is the least of your worries. Everything the government needs to know about you, they already know.

Just saying.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution View Post
    i have been only buying phones with no gps (although you can still be tracked, just not as closely) or hack them to disable it . i then open them and remove the speaker phone . i work on electronics for a living so that easier said than done .
    unfortunately i do not believe this can be done for profit commercially because of digital copyright laws .
    I reckon you're probably violating some sort of federal law by doing that.

Actually you should look into disposable cell phones from gas stations for total anonimity. You can still sign up for them with fake names in some shady areas. Just make sure your packing.

Who was it who said something like hide in plain sight or something like that?
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    Actually you should look into disposable cell phones from gas stations for total anonimity. You can still sign up for them with fake names in some shady areas. Just make sure your packing.

Who was it who said something like hide in plain sight or something like that?
    thats what they did on the wire
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Oh you know em. You just dont like em because they are idiots.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution View Post
    I have read that most law enforcement doesn't even bother using the GPS functionality when using long term surveillance on a target because using the triangulation from the cell towers is actually more accurate and less protected by some privacy laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast