Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia House passes bills to allow primary write-ins, change primary date

Virginia House passes bills to allow primary write-ins, change primary date

because they'd have done the same thing if it were Ron who hadn't made it....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...u4kQ_blog.html
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

They did not change the primary date. It is still March 6th-Super Tuesday.

Anyways, I don't get why people don't realize this. We don't want 1 v 1 in Virginia. It is winner take all IF a candidate gets a majority of the vote. In a two man race, one candidate has to get over 50% +1 getting winner take all. We do horrible 1 v 1 against Romney.

What the $#@!...

So what does this translate to for us?

I think this helps us IMHO.
    The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator - 1940

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTUSman View Post

Anyways, I don't get why people don't realize this. We don't want 1 v 1 in Virginia. It is winner take all IF a candidate gets a majority of the vote. In a two man race, one candidate has to get over 50% +1 getting winner take all. We do horrible 1 v 1 against Romney.
    Not necessarily... Virginia's primary will award delegates proportionally and therefore, the fewer other candidates means that there will be lower turnout, and that we will be the anti-Romney in Virginia.

Even if we only get 30% that's 30% of the total delegates and that's a lot in Virginia!

Because people that are against Romney will all vote from Paul to keep Romney from getting the delegates
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1836 View Post
    Not necessarily... Virginia's primary will award delegates proportionally and therefore, the fewer other candidates means that there will be lower turnout, and that we will be the anti-Romney in Virginia.

Even if we only get 30% that's 30% of the total delegates and that's a lot in Virginia!
    NO, it isn't. Proportionality is out the window if a candidate receives a majority. It becomes winner take all if a candidate gets 50% +1 vote.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Troll or misinformed...?

We hare been battling as hard as possible to be THE single anti-romney candidate and you think we don't want to be one on one against Romney in Virginia? Another point you are wrong about, it's NOT winner take all even if one candidate gets 51% statewide. 33 Delegates will be allocated according to the winner of each of the 11 CD's in VA. so if Romney wins 4 CD's he'll get 12 delegates regardless of the overall statewide outcome.

This write-in provision sucks. How can they possibly change the rules of the contest after the deadline? I sure as hell hope the Paul campaign attorneys are on this!
    Last edited by RonPaul101.com; 02-02-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo

NO, it isn't. Proportionality is out the window if a candidate receives a majority. It becomes winner take all if a candidate gets 50% +1 vote.
    WRONG. Not true. Read the RNC rules.

I think an argument can be made for it, but shifting last minute hurts campaigns that were organized and prepared based on different facts, which means it hurts Ron. The last minute extra caucus in NV obtained by Gingrich's lobbyist backer is the same thing. If done in the beginning, it would have been worked with. Thrown in at the last minute, it hurts those who put time and money into preparing for a different situation.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by 1836 View Post
    WRONG. Not true. Read the RNC rules.
    I haven't read them. I had heard that before, though.

Why even bother having Campaign Laws and Regulations?

I'd like to watch forward, the campaign donations of those Virigina politicians who crafted, pushed, and voted for this BS bill.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Stop, it's not winner take all, it's winner take all of At Large delegates. Do you understand how Congressional Districting of delegates works versus being assigned as an At large (AKA Statewide) delegate? If the primary winner gets 50.001% of the vote they get all 13 AT LARGE delegates, otherwise they are proportional. The Congressional District delegates go winner take all 3 to the highest candidate in that CD.

33 district delegates are to be bound to presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the 11 congressional districts: each congressional district is assigned 3 National Convention delegates and the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in that district will receive all 3 of that district's National Convention delegates.
    13 at-large delegates (10 base at-large delegates plus 3 bonus delegates) are to be bound to presidential contenders based on the primary results statewide. Compute percentages to 3 decimal places, that is, 50.000%. The delegates are allocated to the presidential contenders as follows:
    If a candidate receives 50.001% or more of the vote, that candidate is allocated all 13 at-large delegates.
    If no candidate receives 50.001% or more of the vote, the 13 at-large delegates are allocated proportionally among those candidates receiving 15.000% or more of the vote. Rounding rules: Beginning with the candidate receiving the largest number of votes, round the fraction to the next whole number of delegates. Continue this process with the next highest vote getter and repeat until all the delegates are allocated.
    Last edited by RonPaul101.com; 02-02-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul101.com View Post
    Troll or misinformed...?

We hare benn battling as hard as possible to be THE single anti-romney candidate and you think we don't want to be one on one against Romney in Virginia? Another point you are wrong about, it's NOT winner take all even if one candidate gets 51% statewide. 33 Delegates will be allocated according to the winner of each of the 11 CD's in VA. so if Romney wins 4 CD's he'll get 12 delegates regardless of the overall statewide outcome.

This write-in provision sucks. How can they possibly change the rules of the contest after the deadline? I sure as hell hope the Paul campaign attorneys are on this!
    Not misinformed. It is modified winner take all. Essentially the same as South Carolina. South Carolina was winner take all (modified).

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/VA-R

Virginia has 49 delegates (3 of which are unpledged-chairman, chairwoman, and state party leader). The 46....33 are from the 11 CD's, 3 per CD. The other 13 are at large. The At-large is proportional, unless a candidate receives 50.001% vote, which will happen now.

The CD's are winner take all each. If you get beat 52-48 in every CD....The candidate gets every vote. That basically happened in South Carolina, I think Romney squeaked out one CD..maybe.

Every state that has done Romney v. Paul head to head, Romney had a huge lead. North Carolina, with a pretty similar electorate to Virginia had these poll numbers:

Mitt Romney 67% to Ron Paul 21% to Unsure 12%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._NC_011112.pdf

With those numbers, Paul wouldn't win one CD if the same holds true in Virginia. Similar numbers were seen in South Carolina, Texas and others.

To call me a troll or uninformed is clearly not true.

I've read somewhere that any law that gets passed will not affect this years primary election.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not misinformed. It is modified winner take all. Essentially the same as South Carolina. South Carolina was winner take all (modified).

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/VA-R

Virginia has 49 delegates (3 of which are unpledged-chairman, chairwoman, and state party leader). The 46....33 are from the 11 CD's, 3 per CD. The other 13 are at large. The At-large is proportional, unless a candidate receives 50.001% vote, which will happen now.

The CD's are winner take all each. If you get beat 52-48 in every CD....The candidate gets every vote. That basically happened in South Carolina, I think Romney squeaked out one CD..maybe.

Every state that has done Romney v. Paul head to head, Romney had a huge lead. North Carolina, with a pretty similar electorate to Virginia had these poll numbers:

Mitt Romney 67% to Ron Paul 21% to Unsure 12%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._NC_011112.pdf

With those numbers, Paul wouldn't win one CD if the same holds true in Virginia. Similar numbers were seen in South Carolina, Texas and others.

To call me a troll or uninformed is clearly not true.
    You just pulled a Romney on yourself by saying it's winner take all just like SC, when SC wasn;t winner take all either. Gingrich didn't win all the delegates in SC - Romney got 2. AND if SC was a two man race, Romney would have won more delegates in all likelihood.

If we can't get a southern state, holding an open primary, to choose Paul over a pro-abortion, pro-bailout, rich $#@! then we're done. Virginia is our very much needed litmus test for Liberty. I would rather have the chance one on one than to have a four man race where maybe we still take second, because if you're worried about a head to head matchup with Romney that obviously means you don't feel you can beat him in a four way race.

Head to head in VA is the way to go. Take a look at the anti-Romney feeling in the south by checking out Missouri primary polling where Santorum, yes Rick Santorum, is polling near 40% because Newt isn't on the ballot there. And you know what, if Ricky wasn't on the ballot Paul would be polling at 60% there. Heck a random guy named Not Mitt Romney would poll at 55% there 1v1 with Mitt.

I wasn't trying to be rude with the troll comment, I just wanted to see if you would clearly define winner take all or not.
    Last edited by RonPaul101.com; 02-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend1104 View Post
    Because people that are against Romney will all vote from Paul to keep Romney from getting the delegates
    I live in Virginia and I don't know one other person here, not one, including my father who always volunteers to work the polls, who has anything close to the extremely cloudy idea I have as to how delegates to the RNC work.

The only people who think in terms of delegates are RP supporters.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

It's hard to say if this helps or hurts us.
    Regardless, it is tentative at this point; so it is not even surely going through. And if it does go through, it will probably get challenged.
    I do not think we should over-react to this yet.

Again, it is hard to say if this is good or bad anyway.
    There is a strong anti-Romney sentiment out there, but there is also a strong anti-Paul sentiment. It is hard to say which is stronger in Virginia.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ate_count.html

Although on here RCP has Virginia as a hybrid primary, that is out the window because 1 v 1. Virginia's primary is now EXACTLY like South Carolina's primary. At large delegates (winner take all) and winner by congressional district. RCP considers South Carolina a winner take all state, as did CNN, as did many others....it is considered modified winner take all. If you get 40% in each CD...you get 0 delegates. THAT is winner take all. Delegates in NO way are proportionally given. The state as a whole is a winner take all prize and each CD is winner take by itself. 11 different winner take all CDs and one winner take all state.

Which CD do you think we can beat Romney head to head in. Ron's support is usually very spread out in that....he does well in rural areas and in college towns, however those college towns are usually suburbs or urban areas (which Romney has done very well in the gop primary--see Iowa, where we got beat in almost all college counties).

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    I've read somewhere that any law that gets passed will not affect this years primary election.
    I had read that too, but this particular article doesn't say that, and I don't know what the bill says.

Troll or misinformed...?

We hare been battling as hard as possible to be THE single anti-romney candidate and you think we don't want to be one on one against Romney in Virginia? Another point you are wrong about, it's NOT winner take all even if one candidate gets 51% statewide. 33 Delegates will be allocated according to the winner of each of the 11 CD's in VA. so if Romney wins 4 CD's he'll get 12 delegates regardless of the overall statewide outcome.

Romney's lawyers have been the ones fighting against the candidates who didn't qualify for the ballot in VA, so hopefully Paul won't have to spend any money. It's odd though that it was Perry's campaign who was funding the suit against VA, and he has now dropped out, but they are still making a ruling in favor of him. I'm not a lawyer but this seems like a 1+1=3 kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    These clowns will make it retroactive, just watch... but if not, it gives the impression of all candidates in the race, just have to write their names on the ballot... either way, they dilute the vote.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    because they'd have done the same thing if it were Ron who hadn't made it....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...u4kQ_blog.html
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Virginia's Verdict: Democracy is a joke.

Virginia GOP changed the rules for a Cap-and-Trade loving marital affair loving insurance mandate loving liberal. What an embarrassment for them and for America.

The decision was good, its the timing that makes it a joke. Gingrich should get the hell out of America and move to China where his hollow and lifeless power-grab tactics fit perfectly with his top-down authoritarian policies. Gingrich's biggest regret in life is that he didn't fool us for longer when the GOP controlled all three branches.
    GOING ON NOW IN THE LIBERTY MOVEMENT - WWW.FREETALKLIVE.COM

JOIN OUR LAST BEST HOPE FOR LIBERTY - WWW.FREESTATEPROJECT.ORG

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You just pulled a Romney on yourself by saying it's winner take all just like SC, when SC wasn;t winner take all either. Gingrich didn't win all the delegates in SC - Romney got 2.
    Yes it was. It was MODIFIED winner take all. Maybe you don't understand the word modified.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ate_count.html.

LOOK! It is winner take all. It is considered that because they are in no way proportionally given. YOU MUST WIN a congressional district to get delegates. THAT IS NOT proportional. You get 48% in every CD...but the other guy gets 52%...you get no delegates.

I did not pull a Romney. I am right on this. You simply don't understand that winner take all can be modified, meaning that it can be by congressional district. You are calling it proportional, which it is not. There is absolutely no fashion in which delegates are given proportionally in Virginia now.

PS - If anyone is angry at this decision don't worry, because if for some reason it turns out it was a mistake and Paul was supposed to be off the ballot while Gingrich was supposed to be on the ballot, they'll change the rules back to disallowing write-in candidates LOL.
    GOING ON NOW IN THE LIBERTY MOVEMENT - WWW.FREETALKLIVE.COM

JOIN OUR LAST BEST HOPE FOR LIBERTY - WWW.FREESTATEPROJECT.ORG

You just pulled a Romney on yourself by saying it's winner take all just like SC, when SC wasn;t winner take all either. Gingrich didn't win all the delegates in SC - Romney got 2.
    The precious Green Papers website you cited for Virginia. LOOK at how that very website you CITE, classifies SOUTH CAROLINA:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/SC-R#0121

Delegate Selection: Winner-Take-All (by district and statewide),
    Polling hours 7:00a EST (1200 UTC) to 7:00p EST (0000 UTC).
    Voter Eligibility: Open Primary
    It is winner take all. PERIOD. Nothing is proportional.

So CNN, Real Clear Politics, and the Green Papers all consider South Carolina to be winner take all. They don't virignia because of the proportionality rule for at large, but that is out the window now because there is only two candidates.
    Last edited by SCOTUSman; 02-02-2012 at 04:10 PM.

any polls that prove your point with romney and paul against one on one?

Wouldn't this be a violation of ex-post facto?
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Virginia's governor, Bob McDonnell, is a Romney boy, so I could see him vetoing this.
    Progress and Poverty by Henry George

Agrarian Justice by Thomas Paine

Governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deducted from it.
    --G.W.F Hegel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast