Thread: What should I do with my money?

What should I do with my money?

I need to place my money, currently in £Sterling, somewhere "safe".

What would people's advice be, with things as they stand today?

Thanks.
    For Liberty!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Deposit into my account. I will keep it safe for you.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

gold still looks good to me.

Gold/silver. Productive farming assets. Productive energy assets.

No particular order.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

If safety is your number one objective probably I-bonds. I have a feeling you have a little more risk tolerance than that though. How old are you and what are you saving for?

Edit: Just saw you don't live in the US - you should probably ask people who are familiar with what's available in your country.
    Last edited by brandon; 02-18-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    If safety is your number one objective probably I-bonds. I have a feeling you have a little more risk tolerance than that though. How old are you and what are you saving for?

Edit: Just saw you don't live in the US - you should probably ask people who are familiar with what's available in your country.
    I'm leaving the U.K. Need to put my money somewhere and I don't think our currency is a good investment. Have thought about precious metals, but not really sure how practical that is. To be honest I am not risk averse either and would like to take advantage of a good opportunity if there is one going at the moment, but I also want to put some money somewhere in case of a disaster scenario.

Just looking for the way the wind is currently blowing, a year ago I would have thought Gold would be where I would go, but today I am not sure.

Thanks for the responses
    For Liberty!

Gold/silver are long term savings. That's it. That's all.

UST began a secular bullmarket for long term savings about 40 years ago. This secular trend is nearing it's end. In the process, the secular trend for long term savings has shifted to the precious metals group.

I do not believe that the secular bull market in gold is anywhere near it's end.

I think that the gold bull is not even halfway complete. The halfway mark will be when major currencies collapse and are reformed. Meaning; when global banking is reformed.

Once this reformation is complete loans and savings yields will be largely attached to stocks of gold.

In short; the first half of the gold bull is and will be marked by pure capital appreciation, the next half of the gold SUPERCYCLE will be marked by unspeculatory YIELD.

In my view gold will appreciate by a factor of 4-5 from it's current level AND THEN will transition into the yield half of it's supercycle.

Gold is long term savings. If you want to park money for years and maybe even more than a decade...GOLD/SILVER. It's that simple.

If you want to invest money into highly productive assets that are desprately needed and will only become more needed...invest in productive farming and energy assets.

The 21st Century is actually EXTREMELY simple once you break through most of the nonsense. Simple, simple, simple...

Quote Originally Posted by dancjm View Post
    I'm leaving the U.K. Need to put my money somewhere and I don't think our currency is a good investment. Have thought about precious metals, but not really sure how practical that is. To be honest I am not risk averse either and would like to take advantage of a good opportunity if there is one going at the moment, but I also want to put some money somewhere in case of a disaster scenario.

Just looking for the way the wind is currently blowing, a year ago I would have thought Gold would be where I would go, but today I am not sure.

Thanks for the responses

lol @ elliot wave theory. I thought you were a libertarian?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are you talking to me?

If so.....HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    lol @ elliot wave theory. I thought you were a libertarian?

40% gold bullion, 15% silver bullion, 15% bitcoins, 20% stocks of companies related to these commodities and keep 10% as is.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

That's extremely conservative. I like it, but I'd alter it to have a bit less gold (and a bit more silver) and the stock allocation would go toward agricultural production and not metal production.

I think if you are to hold that much of the underlying commodity (metal) then stocks of the same sector is a bit overweight.

Hazek, I'm not knocking you at all. I think that's a very solid portfolio...I'm just adding some commentary to show that there are ways to be heavily invested in metals and also have some growth oriented diversification.

I think Jim Rogers is extremely accurate in his assessement that the 21st Century will ultimately belong to farmers and food producers.

Energy drives modern farming.

I prefer a bit more balance at the end of the day.

Heavy into precious metals. Heavy into agriculture and heavy into energy.

Mind you, I'm still so young that my stock of money is not that large and I am unable to diversify the way I would like...but that's what hard work and time are for.

Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    40% gold bullion, 15% silver bullion, 15% bitcoins, 20% stocks of companies related to these commodities and keep 10% as is.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Yeah.. it's just an opinion. But I wouldn't want to own agriculture because it's hard to get rid of in a pinch. I own some land right now and I can't wait till get rid of it all.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )