Thread: Readings on Spontaneous Order

Readings on Spontaneous Order

My undergraduate thesis is over a year away, but I intend to focus almost exclusively on the idea of the superiority of emergent order. As an econ major, this will apply mainly on markets, but I hope to consider the applications of the idea to other institutions as well. (And because it is an "Honors" project [whatever that means], I think I will be allowed some leniency on my topic of choice, which otherwise would probably be considered too heterodox).

In your opinions, what are the most fundamental works that touch upon (or concentrate) on the idea of unplanned, spontaneous order? For example, which of Hayek's books best explain the concept, or concentrate on it the most? I already have some texts in mind, but I would like to hear from you all. They don't necessarily need to be from the Austrian school, though I would hope that you would explain your choice if they were not.

Thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's a short essay by Leonard Read called "I, Pencil" that is often cited as one of the definitive works on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Pencil
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me