Thread: Do Mormons convert people with force?

Lightbulb Do Mormons convert people with force?

Word it how you want, but it's a good ace up your sleeve when Mittens talks about foreign intervention being necessary for change. "Do Mormons (or missionaries of any sort) get a lot of converts by showing up to your door with guns and blockading your driveway?"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As a Mormon I can see your point.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I believe they do it after they die.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Not really.

Forced conversion happened throughout history, but less often than people today seem to think. And they are even less common today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I believe they do it after they die.
    This comes from a misunderstanding of Mormon belief. We do engage in a practice called baptism for the dead, in which a person is baptized in behalf of someone who has died and passed into the spirit world. But this in no way actually makes that person a Mormon, or a Christian, or changes them in any way by force. They still have the absolute free choice to accept that rite performed on their behalf, or to reject it. In fact we look at it as giving greater freedom to people as they now have a choice that they did not have before. But force is in no way involved. Indeed Mormons believe that God will force no person to Heaven, but gives us every opportunity to choose Him ourselves. That is what baptism for the dead is about, extending another choice that one may not have had before or may not have understood the import of before.

They can get pretty hard core going after people that have left the church. And really don't like to believe that someone could convert to another denomination.

They will when they will become numerous enough. It's the same for all religions.
    Statistics don't lie, people do.