Thread: Savings

Savings

So we all agree that Americans by and large don't save and that is manifesting itself on a national scale. America is a debtor nation and the masses live on credit, spending money they don't have.

So what do you define as savings?

If you manage to keep $500, $1,000, $2,000 in your pocket after all your monthly expense are paid? Is this savings?

If you barely have anything left BUT you are contributing to a 401k and/or to an IRA account? Is that savings?

Mind you I do have gold and silver, and thanks to a work bonus & tax refund, I will have a sudden cash inflow that will compose 6 months of emergency money. I have gold and silver, and I have retirement accounts. I have decided to resume my Roth IRA after not doing much with it for a while (but will throw a bit into the Roth come this money inflow to get at least something for calendar year 2011 before I begin putting something every week beginning 4/15/2012 so I have at least $3,000 by 4/15/2013 for calendar year 2012).

What's savings then?
    Ron Paul - America, you WILL regret not voting for him!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Savings are retained (rather than spent) measures of PURCHASING POWER.

You said it - anything you manage to keep, over and above your expenses, is savings.

If I save a thousand nickels, and store them in scattered form all over my open-but-otherwise-private front lawn, it still counts as my savings, even when some of it later - and predictably - becomes "stolen savings". Likewise, I could keep it as a $50 Fed note bill in my pocket, and that would count as stolen savings when my pocket is picked.

No matter what you save in - even gold and silver - there is a cost of savings, separate and apart from return (e.g., you save seed into the ground and it multiplies). There is still a cost of saving that will never go away. The hidden confiscatory tax on long term saving of Fed dollars, which is a very real (and prohibitive) cost, is something I count as "stolen savings".

The question is not so much what counts as savings, but what is the most safe, risk-free, or otherwise cost-effective form? But it's all savings.