Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Tom Woods Goes Primal!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So I've put a few miles on these now, at first I didn't like them and thought that I had gotten too small of a size even though I got the wide version. But the rubber frame or whatever around on the ball of the foot stretched and now they just fit real snug and stick to my feet well. Now I've grown to really like them, got into a groove running last night where I hit that point where I felt like I could go forever...been a long time since got that. I'd recommend NB minimus line even though I don't have much to compare them too.
    So after that, I decided to really start running, doing a 3 mile jog with the dogs every night. And suddenly my weightloss stopped, --after consistent losses since may--all month it just stayed exactly the same. But I stuck to it all and am really enjoying the "running". Then events this week prevented me from doing much running and suddenly the weight disappeared (8lbs) and back to the normal rate of loss. So it must have been something about the increased excercise that halted the loss...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^^ or coincidence. too bad you didn't not exercise until the diet stopped causing weight loss.

EDIT: What I said is wrong. I read your post again. Weight loss resumed when you went back to not exercising.
    Last edited by jj-; 12-07-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    ^^ or coincidence. too bad you didn't not exercise until the diet stopping causes weight loss.
    Well it could also have to do with the same month including hurricane, funeral, birthday party cake and thanksgiving meals. Yeah, I really just HAD to start running from feeling too energized and light on my feet. I'd go for a walk with the mutts, and just want to run instead so that what they get now.

The other night, me and the mutt that is a predator came across a particularly ballsy herd of suburban deer. They tried to stand their ground until me and the devil hound turned on the sprint full throttal. They thought we were bluffing at first....lol The mutt thought it was the best "walk" ever.

So after that, I decided to really start running, doing a 3 mile jog with the dogs every night. And suddenly my weightloss stopped, --after consistent losses since may--all month it just stayed exactly the same. But I stuck to it all and am really enjoying the "running". Then events this week prevented me from doing much running and suddenly the weight disappeared (8lbs) and back to the normal rate of loss. So it must have been something about the increased excercise that halted the loss...
    Running might be causing a cortisol release. Cortisol can cause weight gain. Another, happier, possibility is that you started putting on muscle. Running works some big muscles and it doesn't take much to put on a couple pounds of muscle if you suddenly start working them hard.

To avoid cortisol, aerobic exercise should generally not last longer than 20 minutes OR be really low level.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Running might be causing a cortisol release. Cortisol can cause weight gain. Another, happier, possibility is that you started putting on muscle. Running works some big muscles and it doesn't take much to put on a couple pounds of muscle if you suddenly start working them hard.

To avoid cortisol, aerobic exercise should generally not last longer than 20 minutes OR be really low level.
    Cosign. Watch that cortisol if you can. Did your sleep patterns change any?

Careful with the "chronic cardio." 3 miles might be a fart in the wind to some folks and it might be pushing your hr too high for too long for others. I believe the rule of thumb is to stay below 75% max for your cardio performances and keep them briefer.

You could be hitting a plateau as well. Did you change your average macro nutrient intake in that same time period? I plateaued at around the 10 month mark and stayed static for about 2 or 3 months. Just keep your head down and power through. And as always, trust the tape or bf% measurements more than the scales.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    yeah, 3 miles takes me about 45min. I'm not fast, but its a pace I can bear and my legs get well tired before I get winded. The key for me is that I'm enjoying it. Running has never been my strength; I've taken part in a fair number of aerobic sports but running has always killed me before now.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    You could be hitting a plateau as well. Did you change your average macro nutrient intake in that same time period? I plateaued at around the 10 month mark and stayed static for about 2 or 3 months. Just keep your head down and power through. And as always, trust the tape or bf% measurements more than the scales.
    No other changes other than excercise and a few more days where I ate some non primal foods. Yeah, If I plateaud now I wouldn't really have room to complain and would still live this way as its better than I was before.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's a great testimonial from MDA:

I Have Never Felt Better in My Life
    The beginning of my success story starts out as most might, with very unhealthy eating habits. I can remember as a kid in 4th or 5th grade making my own version of a milkshake which consisted of a whole row of Oreos that was mixed up with milk until it was a consistency that was near impossible to drink. Around that same time I also became addicted to Pepsi cola. It seemed like I had 2-3 cans a day and this continued throughout high school. I was a somewhat active kid and I did not seem to ever put on weight.

After high school I attended an art college where food took a back seat to my artwork. When I would eat, it was the typical college food, e.g. cafeteria pizza, breakfast bars, steak-ums and a lot of frozen microwavable meals (especially taquitos), while changing my consumption of cola to 4-6 Dr. Peppers a day. On the outside I seemed to be very healthy, but inside I was doing great harm to my body daily. I weighed about 130 pounds at 5’7” with barely any muscle at all.

Shortly before I graduated college I was physically assaulted. I had one side of my face crushed so badly that the bone fragments became so small I ended up having to have two six and a half hour surgeries where titanium plates were implanted and a bone grafting had to be done. To say that I was depressed is a gross understatement. My time after that was invested in personal creative projects. I shut myself off from the outside world and with the exception of the artist in me I really didn’t care about myself. I could feel myself declining into a sad state mentally, physically, and emotionally. Around this time I also noticed a gut forming.

About a year and a half after I graduated college, I landed a salary job which included a yearly travel season. Between my newfound income and not having a kitchen on the road, I was eating at restaurants and fast food joints daily. My favorite go-to food at bars were deep-fried breaded appetizers. I kind of knew these were not the healthiest decisions, so when I would buy groceries I tried to counterbalance it by buying anything that said reduced fat or fat free. Little did I know back then that saturated fat should have been my friend and that sugar and carbs should have been avoided. I assumed that fat made you fat and sugar and carbs just gave you energy. So I kept eating tons of snack food while at home and continued drinking 2-3 cans of Dr. Pepper daily. Over a five year period my weight shot up from around 135 to over 180 pounds.

Now, at a weight of over 180 pounds I put a lot of effort into pretending that I was happy. I have always been a comedian, if you will, always joking around, but I wasn’t kidding myself, I was miserable inside. I would wake up in the morning having to pop my back into place because, while sleeping on my side, my gut would twist my back out of whack. Almost daily I would throw up stomach acid, which, let me tell you, was not a great way to start the day. Headaches were a daily occurrence and I was always tired after lunch. As an artist, I did not just work from 9 to 5. I continued working on art and other projects well into the night wearing myself thin and getting stressed out way too easily.

In 2010, I can remember having a typical busy day and stopping by the grocery store after work. I decided to take my blood pressure in one of those machines by the pharmacy. I ended up doing it three different times because after I saw the first result I knew it had to have been wrong. It wasn’t. I was borderline stage three hypertension. During my next doctor appointment I was told that I had to take blood pressure medication and that for my height I was technically obese. I remember thinking to myself that the guidelines were a joke. What if it was all muscle? Would I still be obese? I was in denial.

When I turned 30 in March of 2011, I started to question my health and purchased my first scale. I had taught myself how to make sushi rolls at that time and thought it would be a great way to lose weight and “get healthy”. I actually made a sushi rolling station in my living room and ate tons of the stuff. This approach definitely did not work. My next approach was to purchase a little blender and make fruit smoothies. I was successful with making something that tasted extremely good but there was so much sugar in the drinks that my weight did not budge; it may have even gone up. Was I doomed? Was I always going to be unhealthy?

My next doctor appointment was in May of 2011. My blood pressure with medication was still in stage 2 hypertension and I was still right at the obese mark. I remember thinking that I really needed to change my life around and not knowing how to do it. I couldn’t settle with failure.

I had been reading a blog almost daily that posted an array of different authors from different websites with the common theme of personal liberty, economics, health and wellness, among other subjects. When I read the articles from what I now know was a godsend of a website MarksDailyApple.com showing success stories of how people were able to lose weight and become healthier by eating bacon, I knew it was too good to be true (just like all of the gold that was waiting for me to pick up in a Nigerian bank account). Around August of that year I noticed a friend of mine losing weight who told me it was easy. He was following what Mark’s Daily Apple talked about daily. I said I would give it a try. I knew it was going to be a challenge since I was going into my travel season and so much of the food I ate was on the list of what not to eat.

Wow, what a leap of faith. Eating more of the foods that I was taught were bad for me (bacon, eggs, butter, and other saturated fat filled foods), however, eating no sugar or grains (wait no pasta, I’m Italian, that’s not possible!). The first ten days of not eating grain or sugar was pretty difficult, but noticing the 10 pounds that shed off “effortlessly” without exercise was a great motivational factor. I was very strict with sticking to this but maybe once every 2 months I would cheat by having a piece of cake or pizza to avoid being “that person” at a social gathering. I did not cheat weekly like I hear some people do because honestly I did and still do digest grains, they are just in a liquid and fermented form. I really enjoy craft beer and did not want to give it up, and the fact that a bar opened up right by me with almost 600 different beers makes it pretty difficult to stop drinking them.

At the beginning of my travel season I started going on all my business trips with a bag of organic apples and almonds as my snacking foods, and avoided all of the foods that I had learned were bad for me. I noticed that the weight kept coming off without exercise. And when I would occasionally look at the FDA’s recommendation for a daily intake of saturated fat I was usually double or triple what they called for so I stopped reading that daily percentage and just focused on the ingredients. I used to get a kick out of it when I told people, who said they were “nutritionists,” that I would randomly eat spoonful’s of coconut oil out of the jar.

On a mission, I wanted to see how much weight I was able to lose without any exercise other than daily walking. In about 5 months I ended up losing 47 pounds and took myself off of anti-depressants and my blood pressure medication. For the first time since I can remember I was looking forward to my next doctor appointment.

As I started to think even more health consciously, I became a huge fan of kale and spinach and would blend them (with my Vitamix blender) with other vegetables like carrots and beets to add some natural sugar. An all-vegetable smoothie actually did not taste bad, it just looked god-awful to the layperson. So when I went confidently to my next doctor appointment with my smoothie in hand I was hoping for a rewarding experience. I was a little nervous because I had heard stories that doctors go crazy when you take yourself of medication. I honestly had not taken my blood pressure for quite some time because I knew I felt healthy. I did the typical weigh-in and then sat in one of the rooms. The doctor that came in looked at my chart and immediately asked what the heck I did. I was ready to have my blood pressure taken, which I used to be very nervous about, but this time I wasn’t. When he got the results he shook his head from side to side in amazement. My blood pressure was 108 over 66 with no exercise, just diet! From that point forward my doctor appointments have gone in reverse. Now they are asking me questions and apologizing for having so many to ask. They actually agreed that the FDA works hand-in-hand with big pharma and that the food pyramid was definitely way off course.

In the past two months I actually started to exercise. At this point, my main workout is doing pull ups with my door-frame bars. On my lunch breaks from work I try to do as many of them as possible as quickly as I can which adds cardio along with strength training. I never thought in a million years I would be at this point. My weight actually dropped all the way down to 127 pounds even with all of the additional muscle. During my physical 3 weeks ago, I had my cholesterol check and the results are: Total:180, HDL (good):74, LDL (bad):84, Triglycerides:109. Before I left the doctor he told me that I was a great “role model”. I don’t think I have ever heard someone tell me that before. I have never felt better in my life. Every day I am getting stronger mentally, physically, and emotionally, and Mark Sisson I have you and all the other paleo health advocates to thank along with my doctors who were so supportive. I hope my story inspires and helps others the same way that other Mark’s Daily Apple success stories have helped me.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-hav...comment-884340
    Last edited by mac_hine; 12-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-17-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks for that link and info.. hubby has it in his head that grass fed is going to be lean .. tough and dry. *goes to check the site out now*
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I'm going to post my pics some time. I've dropped 40 lbs since June 190 down to 148 today. Most came off in about 3 or 4 months

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Thanks for that link and info.. hubby has it in his head that grass fed is going to be lean .. tough and dry. *goes to check the site out now*
    The grassfed beef I eat is so tender that I cook it on the stove - I do this so I can use the melted fat (and whatever garlic and pepper comes off the steak) in place of butter or olive oil for my eggs. I'd say the steak fat is even tastier for eggs than bacon fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

not that it's relevant for primal.. but the best fries ever are the ones deep fried twice in beef fat
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

not that it's relevant for primal.. but the best fries ever are the ones deep fried twice in beef fat
    potatoes are acceptable on the primal blueprint -- just restricted if you are trying to lose weight. And fried in beef fat is as well. I generally make homefries out of sweet potatoes and bacon grease.

As to the grassfed beef, if your husband is not familiar with it; I'd try a limited amount first. The taste IS different. Not bad, just different.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 12-17-2012 at 07:31 AM.

it would be awesome of the commissary would carry it.. their beef has been pissing him off for a year or so now.. all the fat trimming regs - can't even get an unpeeled knuckle anymore. He doesn't like angus at all.. calls it propaganda shoe leather.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-19-2016 at 09:07 PM.

"breaded" some chicken breasts with pork rinds tonight. the picky eater at the table said it was "ok" and didn't make any faces of disgust (win!), the toddler devoured it.

put pork rinds in a ziplock, crushed them finely with a rolling pin, rinsed the breasts, sliced into strips, patted real dry, shook them in the bag of rinds, then baked in the oven for 20 min.
    Thanks. Doing this within the next week! What did you have with them?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-19-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Tom Woods AND paleo blogger Steve Cooksey (http://diabetes-warrior.net/) is speaking at the Free State Project's Liberty Forum next month.

Cooksey made national news a while back when he was threatened with arrest for blogging on diet and nutrition without a license http://reason.com/blog/2012/05/29/is...et-against-the

Anyways, use discount code: "2013NHLF". It's good for 10% off Full and 3 day speeches pass. Purchase your tickets here: http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum

Tom Woods Goes Primal!
    About time!

I've eaten Paleo for a year. Now I mostly stick to an Ethiopian dish which tastes great. I never get tired of it. Basically you mix raw ground beef with butter that you render with spices. you also add in other spices. Had to order spices online - my Mom has an ethiopian friend who taught me. In a week I would consume about 5 lb grass fed beef 80/20 and 2 lb butter. Also I have oysters and beef liver every now and then.

An Awesome blog is : jackkruse.com. His writing is very entertaining. this is a good series he did: _jackkruse.com/brain-gut-1-who-are-we-really/

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awesome news! the 8% body fat scares me a little though.

I wonder what happens to thyroid levels if one already has a hyperactive thyroid

Quote Originally Posted by wetroof View Post
    I've eaten Paleo for a year. Now I mostly stick to an Ethiopian dish which tastes great. I never get tired of it. Basically you mix raw ground beef with butter that you render with spices. you also add in other spices. Had to order spices online - my Mom has an ethiopian friend who taught me. In a week I would consume about 5 lb grass fed beef 80/20 and 2 lb butter. Also I have oysters and beef liver every now and then.

An Awesome blog is : jackkruse.com. His writing is very entertaining. this is a good series he did: _jackkruse.com/brain-gut-1-who-are-we-really/
    Can you go more in depth on these spices?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Awesome news! the 8% body fat scares me a little though.
    7-10% is pretty good.

I wonder what happens to thyroid levels if one already has a hyperactive thyroid
    I'm guessing, if anything, it would help balance it back out.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

So I took some blood tests about 6 months ago after about 3 months of gradually going primal. I took them again recently to compare and see how this fat-based diet was effecting me -- besides the about 65lbs lost.

The numbers are VERY positive. I only came to post this as to further encourage any of my fellow paul supporters who have considered trying the primal blueprint out but might be afraid of the dreaded cholesterol, oogabooga.

THYROID
    8/12: TSH SCREEN 6.00 H uIU/mL 0.35-5.50
    3/13: TSH SCREEN 3.20 uIU/mL 0.35-5.50
    -2.8! This might be the BEST result of all. From a very underactive thyroid to a near ideal thyroid range.

8/12: CHOLESTEROL 249 H mg/dL 130-200
    3/13: CHOLESTEROL 205 H mg/dL 130-200

8/12: TRIGLYCERIDE 237 H mg/dL 25-160
    3/13: TRIGLYCERIDE 197 H mg/dL 25-160
    -40 --Still a little high; most likely because I still love my beer but still getting better.

8/12: HDL DIRECT 48 mg/dL 40-90
    3/13: HDL DIRECT 65 mg/dL 40-90
    +17 -- very good.

8/12: VLDL(CALC) 47.40 H mg/dL 5.0-32.0
    3/13: VLDL(CALC) 39.40 H mg/dL 5.0-32.0

8/12: LDL(CALC) 153.60 H mg/dL 0-130
    3/13: LDL(CALC) 100.60 mg/dL 0-130
    -53 -- From borderline risk to desirable

8/12: CHOL/HDL RATIO 5.19 Ratio 0-5.60
    3/13: CHOL/HDL RATIO 3.15 Ratio 0-5.60
    -2.04 -- from risk to near ideal

Screw oatmeal or statins, I'll take steak and eggs. And that my friends is the tale of the tape. cheers!

way to go specs! You have made some huge strides my friend! My only caution would be to tell you that you're trig's are super high. LabCorp reference is 0 -114 as normal and most paleo foodies are around 30 - 70 mg/dl. From what I understand trigs are a pretty good indicated of oxidized cholesterol so i'd definitely keep monitoring that.

THYROID
    8/12: TSH SCREEN 6.00 H uIU/mL 0.35-5.50
    3/13: TSH SCREEN 3.20 uIU/mL 0.35-5.50
    -2.8! This might be the BEST result of all. From a very underactive thyroid to a near ideal thyroid range.
    Congrats, everything looks like an improvement. Some natural practitioners though say that they rarely see a comfortably healthy person with TSH above 2, but you seem to be heading in that direction. Also, 9 months doesn't seem like a long time, so maybe you'll see further improvements just by giving your body more time to improve further.
    Last edited by jj-; 05-17-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516