Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Woods Goes Primal!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tom Woods Goes Primal!

It's funny, 2 of my biggest interests lately have been RP/Liberty and Primal eating/lifestyle. Looks like Tom Woods is bringing the 2 together as well!

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/going-primal/

The diet is basically Paleo style, eliminating grains and processed carbs, and embracing vegetables and high fat/protein animal foods. I just finished reading the book, and the science is very solid. It is based in evolutionary biology and working with your hormones, not against them. Also, the takes on exercise and lifestyle are great and scientifically sound.

Any other Primal folks here on RPF?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I believe in primal as scientifically valid and the healthiest way to live. Unfortunately, I just wasn't raised to appreciate vegetables at all, and pastas & grains are among my very favorite things to eat. There's just no way I'd be able to stick to it religiously.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    I believe in primal as scientifically valid and the healthiest way to live. Unfortunately, I just wasn't raised to appreciate vegetables at all, and pastas & grains are among my very favorite things to eat. There's just no way I'd be able to stick to it religiously.
    Try eating pasta plain for a while and then tell me you really like it. Pasta without sauce is about as delicious as mud. So it is really the sauce you like and, assuming you avoid bad oils and use grass fed meat, most pasta sauce is perfectly fine on a primal diet. You just need to put it on something other than pasta. Like spaghetti squash or cauliflower-rice.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Try eating pasta plain for a while and then tell me you really like it. Pasta without sauce is about as delicious as mud. So it is really the sauce you like and, assuming you avoid bad oils and use grass fed meat, most pasta sauce is perfectly fine on a primal diet. You just need to put it on something other than pasta. Like spaghetti squash or cauliflower-rice.
    Not entirely true. I'm not the biggest fan of spaghettit sauce. I prefer noodles with just a smidgen of butter or a little bit of broth. I've eaten some plain or with just a little salt as well. I LOVE pasta. I'm a super picky eater. Give me noodles, bread, potatoes, cheese, and butter and I'm set for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by LBennett76 View Post
    Not entirely true. I'm not the biggest fan of spaghettit sauce. I prefer noodles with just a smidgen of butter or a little bit of broth. I've eaten some plain or with just a little salt as well. I LOVE pasta. I'm a super picky eater. Give me noodles, bread, potatoes, cheese, and butter and I'm set for a lifetime.
    Then eat those things. If you are healthy and have a great bod, there is no need for you to change the way you eat.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youth

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    Then eat those things. If you are healthy and have a great bod, there is no need for you to change the way you eat.
    Here's the risk: the average young person can eat just about anything and seem to be fine. But over the years the chronic inflammation and insulin roller coaster take their toll. The youth of 25 that can eat pasta, bread, and sugar with no noticeable problem becomes the middle aged person carrying an extra 50 pounds, showing signs of insulin resistance, arthritis, high blood pressure, arterial plaques, and other effects of chronic inflammation and glucose overload. And then the decline accelerates into full-blown diabetes, cardio-vascular disease, cancer, and dementia. The unhealthy eating habits learned as a youth when they don't seem to matter become firmly seated habits such that they are hard to change when the ill effects become apparent.

I wish I had known about primal living when I was 12. My quality of life would have been significantly improved. But I am mostly just grateful to have discovered it now.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by LBennett76 View Post
    Really? Ya just had to post the words noodles, bread, potatoes in a primal thread when I'm trying to withdraw from them right now ? That's just cruel .

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    Really? Ya just had to post the words noodles, bread, potatoes in a primal thread when I'm trying to withdraw from them right now ? That's just cruel .
    In truth, I have been without for a few months now, and I have found that dumping that stuff for more nutritionally-laden foods isn't bad at all. I had headaches and muscle weakness for a few days, but after that, everything's been good. Spaghetti squash is now one of my favorite vegetables. One can make carbonara, spaghetti, spaghetti bolognese, and other dishes with it. Bread isn't needed and I have used Romaine lettuce leaves instead. Admittedly baby lettuce, spinach, kale, etc. but hey, better than bread. Bread is essentially a vehicle. Eating bread by itself isn't that great. Same deal with pasta. Potatoes can be swapped out for sweet potato fries pretty easily. It's all about what you season them with, anyway. Plain potatoes aren't that great.

Having bacon in the morning or eggs with some sliced avocado tossed in is great and I feel full for a lot longer than I ever did with toast or waffles.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tom Woods Goes Primal!
    About time!

try some spaghetti squash in place of noodles. Delicious.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Or the yam noodles Shirataki, very high in fiber.
    No one reads signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    I'll have to give those a look.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports
    First time I had spaghetti squash, the gf put too much stevia in the sauce, and it threw off the taste. I initially thought it was the squash, but found out when we made it a second time that she had put like a teaspoon of stevia in the recipe.

Needless to say, the second time around was much, much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    she had put like a teaspoon of stevia in the recipe.
    Hahahahha, wow...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    I've really wanted to try these, but haven't found them in a store yet--I hear they smell "fishy." What's your experience?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I've really wanted to try these, but haven't found them in a store yet--I hear they smell "fishy." What's your experience?
    Was that from my post or somewhere else?

I got the NoOodles that are yam based.

Taking away the fishy smell is pretty easy, you just have to rinse them thoroughly for a couple minutes. But then they don't taste very good unless you fry them up a little to dry them out, then cook them for at least a few minutes in the sauce that they are going to be served with. They don't soak up flavor as easily as regular noodles and don't taste as good as regular noodles by themselves.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Same here....I had a hard time liking veggies. Then I married a very health conscious woman.

If you hate Veggies, now try juicing bunches of them together in very interesting tasting coctails. Very healthy, but an aquired taste.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Same here....I had a hard time liking veggies. Then I married a very health conscious woman.

If you hate Veggies, now try juicing bunches of them together in very interesting tasting coctails. Very healthy, but an aquired taste.
    I was never much interested in vegetables or salad. But after a few months of going primal and eating really diverse salads on a daily basis, now I LOVE my salads! I delight in the juicy, crunchy, colorful mess. It's like my body made the connection between the nutrition and the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post

It's my understanding that juicing them removes most of the fiber content. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    It's my understanding that juicing them removes most of the fiber content. Is that right?
    Virtually all of the fiber content is removed when you juice, yes.

Grew on fast food until age 18 -- proudly paleo for 2 years, it's a difficult transition but worth it physically and mentally long term.

It's definitely a tough switch to make, I kind of switched into it slowly over time. I gotta say, a nice dallop of grass-fed butter on vegetables goes a long way to making me appreciate them

Quote Originally Posted by Freebie View Post
    It's definitely a tough switch to make, I kind of switched into it slowly over time. I gotta say, a nice dallop of grass-fed butter on vegetables goes a long way to making me appreciate them
    cheese is ok? you could put cheese on anything and make it edible if so i'm sold.
    Lībertās Aut Mors

Whenever, therefore, a lie has built unto itself a throne, let it be assailed without pity and without regret, for under the domination of a falsehood, no one can prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciconsort View Post
    cheese is ok? you could put cheese on anything and make it edible if so i'm sold.
    nope, dairy is a no-no on the primal diet. Although, some folks tend to really stretch that.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

nope, dairy is a no-no on the primal diet. Although, some folks tend to really stretch that.
    Don't turn someone off to the diet just because of cheese.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chees...#axzz1yqFq217N
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The way I understand it, dairy is not allowed on paleo, but primal is paleo + dairy, so cheese is allowed on a primal diet.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    The way I understand it, dairy is not allowed on paleo, but primal is paleo + dairy, so cheese is allowed on a primal diet.
    that's good enough for me lol
    Lībertās Aut Mors

Whenever, therefore, a lie has built unto itself a throne, let it be assailed without pity and without regret, for under the domination of a falsehood, no one can prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post

that's not really right. Dairy is not allowed on the primal diet. The caveat is that Mark has kind of indicated that if you use it a sensible indulgence then you'll be ok. However, going back to what i said though, Primal is not paleo + dairy. Primal would be better described as paleo + increased saturated fat intake.

Yes, cheese is OK. The more "natural," the better, of course -- grass-fed cattle, non homogenized, non pasteurized, etc.

The short answer for Primal: if you tolerate dairy, go for it.

Short answer for Paleo purist: No; dairy is just as bad as legumes and grains.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like a variation of the Atkins diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast