Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana Improves Depression in Low Doses, Worsens It in High Doses, Study Says

Marijuana Improves Depression in Low Doses, Worsens It in High Doses, Study Says

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/10...es-study-says/

Actually this dichotomy makes sense. Most antidepressants such as Zoloft can have the reverse effect in certain circumstances.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can see that as a possibility - although another possibility is that people who medicate titrate their own dosage - so a person who is more depressed is going to be working harder to treat it by smoking more. I know I do that myself, but most of the time I smoke very low quantities, often.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-16-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I can see that as a possibility - although another possibility is that people who medicate titrate their own dosage - so a person who is more depressed is going to be working harder to treat it by smoking more. I know I do that myself, but most of the I smoke very low quantities, often.
    Really?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

just heard about dabbing on the AJ show.

if its anything like the rush of a gravity bong hit, I'll pass. boy is that rush unpleasant for the first couple minutes.

For the record, I don't smoke at all. Tried to once but had the same Bill Clinton "didn't inhale right and didn't get high" experience. (Yes. I think that's one time he might have been telling the truth.) But I do feel the need to compile data on the subject. I'm more and more convinced that drug decriminalization is a necessity. But I know people (one in particular) who think "Sure it would be good not to fill up the prisons, but marijuana can make you *gasp* psychotic!" I don't know why it doesn't bother this person as much that Prozac and Zoloft can make you psychotic.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    looking forward to this

From my own personal experience it helps greatly in low or high doses. It makes me alot more active and upbeat.
    I am the spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know a few guys that smoke A LOT, morning till night kinda guys...

Maybe its just the company I keep but these guys are some of the most driven people I know and I could never, ever call them depressed. Marijuana does different things to different people.

These "studies" generally appeal to non smokers because those that smoke KNOW whats true and whats not true.

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointfive View Post
    just heard about dabbing on the AJ show.

if its anything like the rush of a gravity bong hit, I'll pass. boy is that rush unpleasant for the first couple minutes.
    Hah, it's 'worse' in that sense, man, it actually pretty much puts you out for 2-3 hours. Nice if you want to relax or go to sleep, though.

It is quite the trend.. I prefer super sticky buds most of the time, myself.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    For the record, I don't smoke at all. Tried to once but had the same Bill Clinton "didn't inhale right and didn't get high" experience. (Yes. I think that's one time he might have been telling the truth.) But I do feel the need to compile data on the subject. I'm more and more convinced that drug decriminalization is a necessity. But I know people (one in particular) who think "Sure it would be good not to fill up the prisons, but marijuana can make you *gasp* psychotic!" I don't know why it doesn't bother this person as much that Prozac and Zoloft can make you psychotic.
    It's a commonly believed myth that pot can cause mental illness. But unlike Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, and other FDA approved anti-depressant SSRI drugs, there is actually no credible scientific basis for the claims that marijuana can cause psychotic behavior or mental illness. If you search "marijuana myth mental illness" tons of articles come up regarding this. Here's one good one:

http://www.alternet.org/story/151776...ess?paging=off
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

Hah, it's 'worse' in that sense, man, it actually pretty much puts you out for 2-3 hours. Nice if you want to relax or go to sleep, though.

It is quite the trend.. I prefer super sticky buds most of the time, myself.
    Me too. It's hard to titrate one's dosage when doing dabs. You get super stoned instantly.

Also, I stay away from the stuff because I don't know for sure what might be in it. (They use butane to make the stuff and it doesn't all evaporate out, because there are impurities. These chemicals may end up in the wax.) Here's an article for anyone interested... http://www.alternet.org/drugs/bongs-...ers?paging=off

I don't mean to go off topic... Regarding the depression thing, I agree with Danno, it may be that people are simply using more when they are feeling more blue. But I can also see where maybe using more heavily could cause one to fall into a slump of self pity, not caring, and not having enough motivation to do something to improve one's circumstances. ("Wallowing" in it.)
    Last edited by WhistlinDave; 05-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

Sorry if I get some of the terminology wrong or incomplete, I don't have the equipment to dab myself but have done it quite a bit with friends.

Dabbing requires a torch, you heat up a glass or metal 'nail' until it is red hot. Then you put a cover over the nail with a hole in it. You get some butane hash oil (extracted THC/CBDs from buds or trimmings) on a paper clip or something and touch it to the hot nail which causes it to instantly smoke up, as you begin to inhale through the bong it pulls all that smoke that gets trapped by the cover. (This whole setup is referred to as a 'rig')

Of course for some people this is beneficial. Some people need more medicine to medicate, and so not having to smoke very much plant material to get the medicine they need is great. Instead of smoking 3 or 4 2-4 ripper bowls, a heavy user can simply take a hit or two of hash oil.

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlinDave View Post
    Me too. It's hard to titrate one's dosage when doing dabs. You get super stoned instantly.

Also, I stay away from the stuff because I don't know for sure what might be in it. (They use butane to make the stuff and it doesn't all evaporate out, because there are impurities. These chemicals may end up in the wax.) Here's an article for anyone interested... http://www.alternet.org/drugs/bongs-...ers?paging=off
    There are at least two schools of thought on this.

One says that you get minute amounts of butane from using a lighter on green bud, and the minute amount of butane that ends up in the wax is so negligible that you're going to end up getting as much or more from smoking the bud instead of the butane hash since you don't use a lighter to light the butane hash and it is much stronger.

I would certainly like to see some real studies on the subject, and whether it is possible to reduce the amount of butane to almost nothing, which I believe would be possible with better equipment.. Most people make butane hash in their backyard.

There are at least two schools of thought on this.

One says that you get minute amounts of butane from using a lighter on green bud, and the minute amount of butane that ends up in the wax is so negligible that you're going to end up getting as much or more from smoking the bud instead of the butane hash since you don't use a lighter to light the butane hash and it is much stronger.

I would certainly like to see some real studies on the subject, and whether it is possible to reduce the amount of butane to almost nothing, which I believe would be possible with better equipment.. Most people make butane hash in their backyard.
    Yea, that's a really good point. And I'd like to see some studies on it too.

Lots of people use hemp line (hemp string with beeswax on it) for lighting their hits to avoid the butane when smoking bud. I've tried it and I like the flavor better, but then I feel like I'm inhaling a little beeswax vapor and I don't like that thought either! LOL I've heard of people using soldering irons to char their bud, and I've even heard of people using a magnifying glass in the sun to do "solar hits." Never tried either one myself but the solar hits actually sounds like a lot of fun. Of course there's always the option of vaporizing too, but I prefer smoking.

With regard to the wax, I've heard that for anyone concerned about butane impurities, you can buy wax that's make with a CO2 extraction process instead. I think it's the extreme cold of the gas being uncompressed, not the gas itself, that's important in the process. That's just what I've heard though, I'm really not that knowledgeable on this topic. (I'm not an expert on the herb either but I know a little more about the good herb than wax.)

Sorry if I get some of the terminology wrong or incomplete, I don't have the equipment to dab myself but have done it quite a bit with friends.

Dabbing requires a torch, you heat up a glass or metal 'nail' until it is red hot. Then you put a cover over the nail with a hole in it. You get some butane hash oil (extracted THC/CBDs from buds or trimmings) on a paper clip or something and touch it to the hot nail which causes it to instantly smoke up, as you begin to inhale through the bong it pulls all that smoke that gets trapped by the cover. (This whole setup is referred to as a 'rig')

Of course for some people this is beneficial. Some people need more medicine to medicate, and so not having to smoke very much plant material to get the medicine they need is great. Instead of smoking 3 or 4 2-4 ripper bowls, a heavy user can simply take a hit or two of hash oil.

Good lord. And here I thought a beer can and tin foil was too much work.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    TBH I think the whole marijuana thing is subject to mad misconceptions, even by those who smoke. The different varieties are VERY very different. Smoking the wrong way -- buying cheap $#@!, doing it all night, etc -- leads to side effects & problems that have nothing to do w/ the experience of smoking wonderful clean herb responsibly.

And every individual is different. I personally avoid Indica grass like it's the plague. For me, Indica is where the lazy/hungry/dopey stoner stereotype comes from -- it makes me just want to sit around and eat and think half-ass thoughts. Sativa, on the other hand, has helped me think & grow as a person so much that I wouldn't even be involved in politics, writing or music without it. I'd still be a real jerk, in fact. Dispensary-grade Sativa is a high-energy, high-productivity high that has so little to do w/ the experience of smoking ditchweed and eating nachos. It's a shame that people just say "affects of marijuana" and group it all together w/o realizing how differently the various types & qualities of the drug really do affect people.
    Last edited by KurtBoyer25L; 05-16-2013 at 02:41 PM.

What dost thou stoners think of the edible route? If I were to do any experimentation, that's the route I'd prefer. I recall pot hurting pretty badly on the inhale sometimes. And there's also that factor of not knowing what you're getting, which is probably what turned me off to it since it'd sometimes make me puke or worse.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

If smoke is your beef, use a vaporizer.

It's incredibly effective at dropping the lung damage to 0% (seriously) and the amount required is absolutely tiny (to get high for reeeeeaallllzzzz).

Not that I have a problem with pot brownies - do it up.

But those effects last a very long time and it can take 1-3 hours for the THC to hit you.

Vaporizer is immediate, a couple of tokes you'll be high for 2 hours or so and it's much more convinient.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    What dost thou stoners think of the edible route? If I were to do any experimentation, that's the route I'd prefer. I recall pot hurting pretty badly on the inhale sometimes. And there's also that factor of not knowing what you're getting, which is probably what turned me off to it since it'd sometimes make me puke or worse.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlinDave View Post
    I've even heard of people using a magnifying glass in the sun to do "solar hits." Never tried either one myself but the solar hits actually sounds like a lot of fun.
    Thanks for reminding me.. Solar hits are one of my favorite ways to smoke. The only issue is that you need to wear AT LEAST one pair of sunglasses, I usually put on two, because you have to make adjustments to get the dot just right on the bud to get it to smoke and while you're looking at it, it gets very bright and you end up seeing a purple dot in front of you after you're done with your hit.

Is this marijuana as was or the turbo-charged stuff people reportedly smoke nowadays?

Eating is ok, but it's a bit different. It will be tougher to get that 'energetic' high that KurtBoyl referred to just above your post. It's also more difficult to titrate, as in, it is easy to either eat a little too much or not quite enough and not be able to adjust later on.. whereas you take one or two hits, if you need another 30 minutes or an hour later, go for it.

If you are in a medical state you really don't have to worry about the quality of the weed. It is checked for mold or mite damage. In states where it is completely illegal a lot of stuff you wouldn't want to smoke floats around. Bugs and eggs and nastyness.

A vaporizer is good if you aren't really a smoker. (though I know people who can't smoke cigarettes but smoke weed) It's basically like a mist. Good vaporizers are pretty expensive though. A water pipe may be preferrable over the other simply because of price differences. Add a little crushed ice in the water and it is pretty enjoyable. If you were to eat some edibles I'd recommend erroring on the side of caution. Eat some, see how you feel in thirty minutes-an hour. Eat a little bit more if you aren't quite where you want to be. Nothing worse than eating too many and having a bad time. Especially if you aren't really a smoker.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 05-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Shorland View Post
    Is this marijuana as was or the turbo-charged stuff people reportedly smoke nowadays?
    It hasn't changed as much as they say, there has always been dank bud it just didn't used to be as prevalent after the huge rush of smokers came in during the early 70s. Fewer people understood what it took to get or to grow dank bud, but it was there, my older brothers have told me about it. But honestly the stronger it is the more healthy it is for you. That's because you don't have to smoke as much.

Plus hash has always been around, and that has and always will be stronger than regular bud yet contains the same medicinal properties.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Shorland View Post
    Sinsemilla (without seeds) has always been around. The strains may have gotten a little better, but generally it is the same.

Different strains do different things. Generally indicas give you a stoned feeling, don't want to move. Sativas wake you up. They have all different types of strains.

Thanks for reminding me.. Solar hits are one of my favorite ways to smoke. The only issue is that you need to wear AT LEAST one pair of sunglasses, I usually put on two, because you have to make adjustments to get the dot just right on the bud to get it to smoke and while you're looking at it, it gets very bright and you end up seeing a purple dot in front of you after you're done with your hit.
    You are a very patient pothead.

A Swisher and a bic lighter does the trick nicely. Smoke half a stick, put it out for later.

Once again, I don't like these generalized studies because they don't account for the vast number of strains containing varying THC/CBD ratios. You can't generalize all marijuana by saying group A exhibited a particular reaction even if group A were biologically similar due to the different chemical makeup of certain strains.

HOWEVER, you could say that with strain X, group A exhibited such reactions.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Once again, I don't like these generalized studies because they don't account for the vast number of strains containing varying THC/CBD ratios. You can't generalize all marijuana by saying group A exhibited a particular reaction even if group A were biologically similar due to the different chemical makeup of certain strains.

HOWEVER, you could say that with strain X, group A exhibited such reactions.
    Good point. Were they smoking sativas or indicas or a mix? I could see smoking indicas all the time making me more depressed. Sativas on the other hand help me accomplish what I need to get done. I would never feel depressed.

Plus rep. I didn't even think about it along those lines when I posted. You made an excellent point.

News flash: Getting super, mega high is not fun.

What were the dosages used in the studies? Like one too many hits off the joint too much? Or hash-eating too much?

Not the same each time.

Early in a persons THC experience getting REALLY high can have disconcerning effects like paranioa but that usually passes with a bit of experience. From there, getting really high can be reallllly fun. Especially if you DO somthing.

Doing things you are already passionate about (your love interest counts!!) while really high can be some of the most fun you'll ever have.

OH YA....No hang over either.

Schwing.

Quote Originally Posted by amonasro View Post
    News flash: Getting super, mega high is not fun.
    What were the dosages used in the studies? Like one too many hits off the joint too much? Or hash-eating too much?
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast