Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Woods Goes Primal!

Tom Woods Goes Primal!

It's funny, 2 of my biggest interests lately have been RP/Liberty and Primal eating/lifestyle. Looks like Tom Woods is bringing the 2 together as well!

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/going-primal/

The diet is basically Paleo style, eliminating grains and processed carbs, and embracing vegetables and high fat/protein animal foods. I just finished reading the book, and the science is very solid. It is based in evolutionary biology and working with your hormones, not against them. Also, the takes on exercise and lifestyle are great and scientifically sound.

Any other Primal folks here on RPF?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I believe in primal as scientifically valid and the healthiest way to live. Unfortunately, I just wasn't raised to appreciate vegetables at all, and pastas & grains are among my very favorite things to eat. There's just no way I'd be able to stick to it religiously.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

It's definitely a tough switch to make, I kind of switched into it slowly over time. I gotta say, a nice dallop of grass-fed butter on vegetables goes a long way to making me appreciate them

Sounds like a variation of the Atkins diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    Sounds like a variation of the Atkins diet.
    Basically, but with more vegetables and some fruit. Atkins was definitely right about carbs though - carbs kill.

I wonder if your appendix will start to do something on that diet.

I can gain weigh drinking a black coffee sometimes ... I do best when i eat regularly and then get my body use of it , then workout hard for a while and the pounds drop off ... good luck on this one
    "It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." Robert Kennedy

http://scully13.wordpress.com/about men of dark intentions

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm primal. It's awesome.

There are some significant differences from Atkins.

Atkins is really only concerned with carbs.

Primal is concerned with micronutriets as well. For example, Primal is concerned with proper essential fatty acid balance.

Atkins doesn't really care about the source of food.

Primal looks to minimize toxins by using natural, organic food.
    Last edited by Acala; 01-17-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    I believe in primal as scientifically valid and the healthiest way to live. Unfortunately, I just wasn't raised to appreciate vegetables at all, and pastas & grains are among my very favorite things to eat. There's just no way I'd be able to stick to it religiously.
    Try eating pasta plain for a while and then tell me you really like it. Pasta without sauce is about as delicious as mud. So it is really the sauce you like and, assuming you avoid bad oils and use grass fed meat, most pasta sauce is perfectly fine on a primal diet. You just need to put it on something other than pasta. Like spaghetti squash or cauliflower-rice.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebie View Post
    Basically, but with more vegetables and some fruit. Atkins was definitely right about carbs though - carbs kill.
    Atkins died of a heart attack. And it's a horrible diet, because when the eliminate all carbs and whatnot, your cholesterol skyrockets and you're susceptible to stroke or heart attack. All things in moderation.

I'm 8 days in and feeling great. i can tell already the hardest part is finding sources of natural/organic foods so that I am never tempted to eat a barcode again!

I tend to err on the side of a more raw foods lifestyle as opposed to primal.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Paleo here. I find my grass fed meats at the local food coop. All the bad press about saturated fats is a lie. Your brain needs sat. fats to function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blankstare View Post
    Atkins died of a heart attack. And it's a horrible diet, because when the eliminate all carbs and whatnot, your cholesterol skyrockets and you're susceptible to stroke or heart attack. All things in moderation.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

Cholesterol will actually go down.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chole...#axzz1jjWuZKBT
    "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
    -- Patrick Henry (speech in the Virginia Convention, 23 March 1775)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fail.

Atkins died when he fell on the ice and whacked his head on the sidewalk. Besides, Primal is not Atkins.

Carbohydrates are not required in the human diet AT ALL. The Inuit traditionally had a virtually carb-free diet and did fine, thank you.

You are basing your position on bad data and government propaganda. The relationship between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels is insignificant. Your body MAKES cholesterol if the blood level falls too low because cholesterol is an essential substance for many bodily needs. If you have too much cholesterol it is an indicator of inflammation. But lipitor is the largest selling drug in Big Pharma's catalog, so the big money is on "treating" cholesterol levels.

Cardiovascular disease is an INFLAMMATORY illness. If you have arterial plaques it is because the walls of your blood vessels are being damaged by chronic inflammation. It does relate to diet, but not because of cholesterol or fat levels in food. Rather, it is the inflammatory effects of bad diet that cause cardiovascular disease.

If you want to talk about what causes chronic, systemic inflammation, we can do that. Here's a hint: it ISN'T dietary saturated fat.

It's not about eliminating all carbs. It's about getting carbs from the proper sources-vegetables, fruit, etc.-not grains. Your body is not designed for a high grain diet. I've never read Atkins' work, but I changed my diet to a "primal" one a few months ago, and I've been very fit. Gained muscle and lost fat in conjunction with exercise. A better book than Atkins' is "The Paleo Diet For Athletes". http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Athletes-Nutritional-Performance/dp/1594860890

Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 01-17-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I currently eat primal about 70 percent of the time, but I do cheat quite often because of my love of alchohol. However; about a year ago I went full on primal for about 3.5 months. Shed a ridiculous amount of weight. I just eat primal enough now to ensure I do not gain the weaight back. All in all a great life style, but I unfortunately am just a weak willed human.
    “The idea of formulated 'rights . comes not from John Locke & Thomas Jefferson .. but from the canon law of the Catholic Church. ”
    -Thomas E. Woods Jr.

"And now that the legislators and do gooders have futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems. And try liberty."
    -Frederic Bastiat Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Freebie View Post
    well....kinda sorta.

Eating refined carbs like sugar and white flour are not good for you, not in any way.

vegetables, whole grains and other carbs that don't spike your insulin levels are great for your body. Particularly vegetables which are antioxidant rich.

as far as primal goes, my biggest concern is that very high protein diets have been connected to high rates of cancer and disease whereas you see the exact opposite in raw food diets.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

I read about this diet about five years ago and have been doing a variant of it ever since. I just call it "common sense." Vegetables good. Processed food and sugars are bad.

Count your calories, and pack a lot of nutrients into your meals and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    well....kinda sorta.

Eating refined carbs like sugar and white flour are not good for you, not in any way.

vegetables, whole grains and other carbs that don't spike your insulin levels are great for your body. Particularly vegetables which are antioxidant rich.

as far as primal goes, my biggest concern is that very high protein diets have been connected to high rates of cancer and disease whereas you see the exact opposite in raw food diets
    Correlation is not causation. Many other cultures still live a "primal" type lifestyle and are healthier than typical western high-carb diets. I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

btw-grains do spike insulin levels. That's why high-carb diets often lead to insulin resistence and type II diabetes.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 01-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

And the carbs in fruits and vegetables give you energy.

The key is to eat the right types of carbs!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Correlation is not causation. Many other cultures still live a "primal" type lifestyle and are healthier than typical western high-carb diets. I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

btw-grains do spike insulin levels. That's why high-carb diets often lead to insulin resistence and type II diabetes.

yeah, and i would make a similar argument to the one you made..... correlation is not necessarily causation. There are a lot more variables at play.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    well....kinda sorta.

as far as primal goes, my biggest concern is that very high protein diets have been connected to high rates of cancer and disease whereas you see the exact opposite in raw food diets.
    Ever see Fork Over Knife? It's an interesting documentary that agrees with your premise, though I'm not entirely sold on it.

I would suggest that it's best to just keep it simple - eat as many vegetables as you can. Eat some fruit and nuts. Eat less chicken and eggs. Eat even less red meat. Avoid refined sugars, fried foods, white bread, etc

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post

try some spaghetti squash in place of noodles. Delicious.

The hardest thing about getting over simple carbs is that they're actually addicting. Your body craves that garbage for some reason, and it takes a week or two to get it completely over the junk. Once you get through that phase, it becomes much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Ever see Fork Over Knife? It's an interesting documentary that agrees with your premise, though I'm not entirely sold on it.

I would suggest that it's best to just keep it simple - eat as many vegetables as you can. Eat some fruit and nuts. Eat less chicken and eggs. Eat even less red meat. Avoid refined sugars, fried foods, white bread, etc

yup. Part of how i got interested in a raw diet. Granted, my diet is probably 70% raw at this time. I eat meat, but as a general rule the guidelines above are pretty much how I eat.

yeah, and i would make a similar argument to the one you made..... correlation is not necessarily causation. There are a lot more variables at play.
    Yep. Without exercise, you'll get fat on any kind of diet. Other cultures that have long been on a paleo lifestyle aren't sedentary like Americans usually are. I didn't mean to say that diet is the only factor. It is critical, though. High carb diets also make your body's ph acidic, making it difficult to absorb nutrients, btw. The person on a high-carb diet and alkaline ph is so rare that it's statistically insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post

What's wrong with chicken, eggs, and red meat? These are all great protein sources. All the weight lifters I know eat them. They also eat lots of vegetables.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast