Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Face The Nation: Tim Pawlenty on Ron Paul

Face The Nation: Tim Pawlenty on Ron Paul

Very interesting comments from Tim Pawlenty, one of Romney's surrogates, on the January 11, 2012 edition of "Face The Nation". Apologies in advance if this was posted earlier.

(CBS News) In the latest episode of "Face to Face," Bob Schieffer interviews former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty. Watch the interview above or read the transcript below:

Bob Schieffer: Well Governor, it's always good in politics to meet expectations.You not only won, but about the margin people said you needed.

Governor Tim Pawlenty: Well that's exactly right, Bob, and last night Mitt Romney did something historic. As a non-incumbent candidate he's now won both Iowa and New Hampshire and as you well know, that's not easy to do and it gives him tremendous momentum and tailwind going forward.

Schieffer: Let me ask you a little bit about Ron Paul who wound up second. He beat Governor Romney amongst independents. Is that going to be a problem and how can he turn that around?

Pawlenty: Well at least in the context of the Republican primary Mitt Romney and Ron Paul appeal to different messages in part. They don't agree on everything, but that's why you have a coalition -- in the end the conservative coalition is going to have to come together, it consists of defense conservatives, economic conservatives, social conservatives, Tea Party types, libertarian types. And Mitt Romney's challenge as the nominee - and the opportunity - will be to unite that coalition. And Ron Paul speaks very passionately to one part of that, but we're going to have to make sure we have everybody on board the Romney team.

Schieffer: Somebody said that Ron Paul may be your very best friend because as long as he stays there and continues to get a sizable percentage of the vote, it keeps the other candidates from -- or the other voters from coalescing around one single conservative. Are you glad to have Ron Paul where he is?

Pawlenty: Well all the voices in the campaign and the debate are important, but keep in mind Ron Paul may also be attracting some people coming into the process who are new or who otherwise wouldn't be in the process, so it's not necessarily a one for one correlation between everybody voting for Ron Paul then they go somewhere else. He may be attracting new people in the process.

Schieffer: But if this race came down to Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, you'd be kind of happy about that, wouldn't you?

Pawlenty: Well I think Mitt Romney is going to be the nominee and I hope that he is, I'm working hard to accomplish that, but we have to tip the cap to Ron Paul. Like I said, he doesn't agree with Mitt on everything but he came in second in New Hampshire, he had a respectable showing in Iowa, and he shouldn't be dismissed like a lot of people just kind of brush him off and say well he's not a serious candidate -- he's doing well in these early states. But look, with six or seven candidates in the race it's going to have to distill down here in the final stages.

Schieffer: Well he's doing very well among young people. Why do you think that is? Because he wants to legalize marijuana, and is kind of relaxed about drug laws?

Pawlenty: Well I think there's a number of things going on in the Ron Paul support group, one of which is more of a libertarian philosophy generally, but clearly he has the appeal to some young people, he's got a more tolerant view of some social issues, he's antiwar, you know he wants to bring home the military from the war, that's a very different view then - in many cases- then Mitt Romney's view. But certainly some young people find the Ron Paul message attractive.

Schieffer: Do you -- is it of concern to you all that this may go right down to the Convention and then he will form a third party and run as a third party candidate?

Pawlenty: I don't think he'll do that, Bob. You know Ron Paul has a strong message, he hasn't said that he's going to run as a third party -- he hasn't ruled it out, but I really don't believe he's going to run as a third party candidate. I believe in the end he's going to be part of a conservative Republican coalition to win the presidency.

Schieffer: That would certainly be your hope.

Pawlenty: It is our hope for sure, yes.
    .... in his heart, and in his head, in his character, and in his intellect, in what he has done, and in what he will become, the Thomas Jefferson of our day, Ron Paul is one of us.
    - Andrew Napolitano, Future of Freedom Foundation, June 3, 2007
    For captioned videos of Ron Paul, subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/user/KramerDSP.

Also, check out http://www.deafronpaul.blogspot.com for hundreds of subtitled political videos featuring Ron Paul and other politicians.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I believe in the end he's going to be part of a conservative Republican coalition to win the presidency.

Schieffer: That would certainly be your hope.

Pawlenty: It is our hope for sure, yes.
    That's why keeping the 3rd party door open just a little bit is a good tactic. Scare the hell out of them.

Your choice Pawlenty: Obama or Paul. Romney will lose.

No One But Paul.

They are all under strict orders from the top guys at the Romney campaign to be very careful when talking about Dr. Paul. Romney is planning his general election strategy already. That's a mistake.

Much more respectable answers than were the questions.

Scheiffer is incredibly annoying with his line of questions, and I just read the transcript! Don't think I could sit through the actual clip.

Yes Bob, all we care about is drugs. Ugh...

If we pull off a stronger than expected finish in SC, these guys are going to be sweating bullets.

Bob Schieffer: Well he's doing very well among young people. Why do you think that is? Because he wants to legalize marijuana, and is kind of relaxed about drug laws?
    Laugh out loud. Bob Schieffer, it is about honesty, principles, rule of law, peace, and opportunity. Ron Paul is offering to put people back to work, stop dropping bombs in the Middle East and bring the troops home from around the world while respecting the institution of lawful governance. Ron Paul is the "Champion of the Constitution" which is a document you should read sometime, Bob, if you want to stay credible.
    Last edited by Travlyr; 01-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think he realizes that Ron Paul supporters will never get behind Romney. Paul is not expanding the Republican base, he's reaching out to the majority of people that are pissed off at both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliticalfan View Post
    Scheiffer is incredibly annoying with his line of questions, and I just read the transcript! Don't think I could sit through the actual clip.

If Pawlenty was a better surrogate he would have mentioned that most of us want spending drastically cut and we align with the traditional Republican platform more than anyone gives us credit for.

Yeah yeah funny how they all have this new found respect for Paul once they know he controls ~20% of the electorate.

Schieffer: Well he's doing very well among young people. Why do you think that is? Because he wants to legalize marijuana, and is kind of relaxed about drug laws?
    The ghoul couldn't stop with the question, had to add his spin. Schieffer is completely ignorant.

Pawlenty got creamed by Ron at the Ames straw vote... He knows better than to ignore him or marginalize us.

Even if Romney suddenly did an about face and came out against the wars and said he would bring troops home, I'd still distrust him and not support him. If there's any kind of coalition, it's Ron Paul, not Romney, that has to be leading it. Otherwise, I see a Romney-lead coalition completely pointless from the perspective of a pro-liberty voter.

Pawlenty has no choice than to atleast act friendly to Paul if he ever wants to get back into state politics. Libertarians control a sizable chunk of the state party and our influence is growing by the week.
    Go Gophs! Go Twins! Go Vikes!

Don't Tread on Me

wow, Pawlenty is completely respectable here. His answers are factual... this is how the media should be reporting the race.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    If we pull off a stronger than expected finish in SC, these guys are going to be sweating bullets.
    they already are....
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

DONE reading that crap.

I finished when Pawlenty called Romney the nominee.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermli View Post
    wow, Pawlenty is completely respectable here. His answers are factual... this is how the media should be reporting the race.
    For sure, I was surprised. I don't recall his mannerism toward Ron Paul in the earlier debates.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliticalfan View Post

$#@! Bob. That old coot. Gawd he annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermli View Post
    Too bad the media asked biased question after biased question, regardless of Pawlenty's answers.
    "Ron Paul, not going anywhere. Ideologically pure and tough as nails!"

ABO + NOBP = Ron Paul
    Romney - NOBP = Obama

Post Election Addendum -
    We warned you. You insulted and cheated us. You lost. Your fault.

https://twitter.com/#!/specsaregood/...44766052069376
    Exit polls show @RonPaul voters with the debt as #1 issue. @FaceTheNation asks, is he popular cuz he wants to legalize pot? #TheRonPaulGame

I do actually have kind of a sneaky regard for Pawlenty, without actually supporting him. He's basically living proof that the neoconservative establishment has jumped the shark. He's solid on the issues for that camp, and he's intelligent, and level-headed, and reasonable. I certainly disagree with him on many issues, but I don't find him repugnant as a human being, like a lot of people I could list.

By all rights, if the neoconservative wing of the party had any kind of ability to be a rational, thoughtful group, they ought to have loved this guy. But he flamed out. As I said, I do not agree with Pawlenty on the issues, but the reason he failed as a candidate was not due to having any particular flaws, but on the contrary not having the flaws that have consumed the neoconservative wing of the party.

Quite frankly, the reason that Tim Pawlenty is out of the race right now while Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum are all in the thick of things is because Pawlenty isn't bat$#@! crazy enough. There's really something wrong with that.

Yeah Bob, that's it. All those gosh-darn whippersnappers ever think about is drugs.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Quite frankly, the reason that Tim Pawlenty is out of the race right now while Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum are all in the thick of things is because Pawlenty isn't bat$#@! crazy enough. There's really something wrong with that.
    Great analysis. I shared that thought back when he was still in the race.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Bob Seiffert following the The Marching orders of "89 Seconds CBS"
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

There will be no Romney-lead coalition

This is a very promising turn of events IMO. Remember, the left and the right both dislike Paul for different reasons. Sheiffer, who is of the 1960's Great Society mold, wants desperately to believe that true small-government conservatism died in 1964. I think the Republicans are starting to realize that only Ron Paul can revitalize their brand, and challenge Obama, especially if the can is kicked just far enough to ensure the economy is doing marginally well enough to get Obama re-elected if voters are faced with a really putrid choice on the R side.

The third party issue: I find this humorous in a way because it doesn't take a crack journalist to come up with the answer. If there were still real reporters out there, they could do this. Real simple, you find 08 Paul supporters - you can use the FEC contributions list to dig up a bunch of them. You ask them if they supported McCain in 08 after Paul did not get the nomination, if they voted for Barr or Baldwin, or if they stayed home. You ask the ones that did support McCain if they would do that again (ie support a liberal GOP nominee). There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Much more respectable answers than were the questions.
    Absolutely, props to Pawlenty for being very civil and generally fair. The Face the Nation host made an ass out himself as usual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast