Thread: Free State Wyoming, a free state for Westerners and those who can't move to New Hampshire

Free State Wyoming, a free state for Westerners and those who can't move to New Hampshire

http://freestatewyoming.org/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Wyoming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming

Get the word out, Wyoming is a beautiful state, it even has Yellowstone!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I visit regularly for hunting. If I could find some good bottom land at a reasonable price, I might think about it.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Must you be registered to view the forum ? It says "sorry guest, you are banned from using this forum ". I've never visited this site, how can i be banned

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Must you be registered to view the forum ? It says "sorry guest, you are banned from using this forum ". I've never visited this site, how can i be banned
    Only libertarians would think the way to grow an activist movement is to start it in the middle of nowhere. I drove through Wyoming once. It was the most desolate place I've ever seen. Ice and rocks dotted with sheet metal villages and factories belching smoke, and maybe the occasional ranch. That was just the part you can see from the interstate. It made Nebraska look exciting and civilized.

Why doesn't someone start a migration movement in a place that people actually want to be in? Washington or Oregon?
    Last edited by Endgame; 01-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Wyoming has desolate parts if you are driving through it because it is a large area of land. Can you tell me what part you drove through. There are many cities in Wyoming you just probably didn't drive through them. A migration movement would never work in Washington or Oregon because of statist population centers eg. Portland and Seattle. You would hardly be able to scratch the surface of their governments unless you had huge influx of libertarians. Wyoming has about 550,000 people in the whole state concentrated in a few counties. Imagine how easily it will be to influence the politics with these small populations who are already anti-authoritarian anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerbeem View Post
    Wyoming has desolate parts if you are driving through it because it is a large area of land. Can you tell me what part you drove through. There are many cities in Wyoming you just probably didn't drive through them. A migration movement would never work in Washington or Oregon because of statist population centers eg. Portland and Seattle. You would hardly be able to scratch the surface of their governments unless you had huge influx of libertarians. Wyoming has about 550,000 people in the whole state concentrated in a few counties. Imagine how easily it will be to influence the politics with these small populations who are already anti-authoritarian anyways.
    The interstate on the most direct route from Cheyenne and Laramie to Ogden, UT.

I like what the FSP is doing and it's certainly worth a shot, but there are just so damn many people that aren't libertarians in any state. Concentrating us in a certain area is a good move as far as coordination and trying to establish a culture goes, but the idea that we have the numbers to take over an entire state... well I suppose we'll see. Keep doing what you're doing.
    Last edited by Endgame; 01-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    I visit regularly for hunting. If I could find some good bottom land at a reasonable price, I might think about it.
    I've visited Wyoming a couple of times. I love it there! I've read that Dick Cheney is from there, so be careful when hunting

I was actually fishing with my dad when I visited. He was driving. On the way, he stopped at a tavern out in the middle of nowhere. He handed me some cash and said "go get two whiskey drinks to-go". I was thinking really? Okay. I went in, asked for two drinks to-go. Paid for them, and off we drove. As far as I know, that never happens in the state where I live.

I've never been to Wyoming, but I think if I went I would fall in love with it. There are some parts of the state, especially around the Big Horn/Washakie County area, that are awe-inspiringly beautiful.

I'm also super-amped about the idea of a Free State Wyoming, especially after reading Molon Labe. I think I'd do it if my family and I were a bit more financially stable.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endgame View Post
    The interstate on the most direct route from Cheyenne and Laramie to Ogden, UT.

I like what the FSP is doing and it's certainly worth a shot, but there are just so damn many people that aren't libertarians in any state. Concentrating us in a certain area is a good move as far as coordination and trying to establish a culture goes, but the idea that we have the numbers to take over an entire state... well I suppose we'll see. Keep doing what you're doing.
    I was thinking you were taking the I80 and I guessed right, that was the first of Wyoming I saw too but between SLC and Laramie you are right there is nothing. There is alot more in northern Wyoming. Keep in mind that NH has a population more than twice as large as Wyoming so it will be alot easier to have an influence on govt in Wyoming. I like the FSP too but I am a California native and being a 10 hr flight from family isn't too appealing.

I've lived in Casper and Sheridan. I loved Wyoming! There is a lot of flat deserty land, but the mountains are beautiful.

It should be Idaho, not Wyoming!

First of all I think the choice of New Hampshire was a disaster. It makes no sense to take libertarians out of the west where they are concentrated and move them east where even the conservatives love big government, besides the fact that its a harder move.

I think Idaho makes a lot more sense than Wyoming. I've never been to either but I dream of moving to Idaho and dread the thought of going to Wyoming. Idaho is probably the most libertarian state in the country in terms of concentration, even if it doesn't have the best state laws(it has very good ones relative to most others). Those who I've met that lived there say it is the most beautiful state in the country - towering mountains and glorious forests throughout. It has a very small population, which is why it makes sense over Oregon or Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by DRHChi View Post

First of all I think the choice of New Hampshire was a disaster. It makes no sense to take libertarians out of the west where they are concentrated and move them east where even the conservatives love big government, besides the fact that its a harder move.

I think Idaho makes a lot more sense than Wyoming. I've never been to either but I dream of moving to Idaho and dread the thought of going to Wyoming. Idaho is probably the most libertarian state in the country in terms of concentration, even if it doesn't have the best state laws(it has very good ones relative to most others). Those who I've met that lived there say it is the most beautiful state in the country - towering mountains and glorious forests throughout. It has a very small population, which is why it makes sense over Oregon or Washington.
    Idaho is about a quarter mormon and a quarter evangelical in terms of population which makes it hard for me to imagine the state not being socially conservative. The population is also twice as high as Wyoming's which makes it even harder to dilute the social conservative vote.

I personally think you should all take the bottom Ozarks in Arkansas, but that is my personal preference for location, so I'm biased.

I love Wyoming. "Oh, give me a home, where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play", that song was written about Wyoming. It's the most diverse and beautiful land I've seen yet. When you're driving to Yellowstone, you go by these rocks on the side of the road that are bigger than your house, jutting out of the ground at an odd angle. They came from Yellowstone all those years ago, when it blew the frick up. And the badlands on the way there, spectacular. Gotta hit Custer state park too.

It's like Arkansas. It's God's country.

As a somewhat socially conservative libertarian, Wyoming or Idaho sound like heaven to me.
    "Unlike my opponents, I'm not running from my voting record. I'm not running from my public statements. I'm not running from my predictions. I'm running on them." -Ron Paul

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken

I am a non-interventionist,anti-Fed, anti-drug war socially conservative Paul supporter(i.e. paleocon)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have lived and worked in both Wyoming and Idaho several times over the years. They are both great states with beautiful parts and desolate lonely parts. The people are rugged individualists. But the winters in both states are long and cold. Real cold. Makes self sufficiency very difficult. That said, I love that country anyway. Good places for tough people who want privacy.

It's without doubt north Dakota guys.... Been paying attention to what's going on there? Jobs booming, low population.
    "Look, the American people have chosen to have a fiat money standard because they want a welfare state. You cannot have a gold standard and a welfare state at the same time. You have to make the choice. We have made a decision as a society that we’ll be dealing with the welfare state." -Alan Greenspan

With regards to overwhelming the population of any state with sheer numbers... Wyoming has the smallest population of any state. You would have to get 50,000 libertarians there just to outnumber the Mormons, and they've been there breeding for over a century. Being a religion, they're also a whole lot more coordinated as a social group than libertarians are. I think a better approach to these projects is to pick a place that's nice and that many people with a variety of different job skills and tastes would want to move to regardless of population. Being around a group of like-minded people for networking, moral support and social/cultural activities is more beneficial than the pipe dream of trying to overwhelm the electorate of an entire state. Of the things libertarians as a subculture have got going for them, numbers isn't one of them.

Schiff_FTW

First of all I think the choice of New Hampshire was a disaster.
    How exactly has it been a "disaster"? Dozens of libertarians have been elected to the state legislature where they have not only stopped bad legislation but have actually rolled back government in several important arenas. The FSP has been an enormous success thus far and it is becoming a bigger one every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiff_FTW View Post
    How exactly has it been a "disaster"? Dozens of libertarians have been elected to the state legislature where they have not only stopped bad legislation but have actually rolled back government in several important arenas. The FSP has been an enormous success thus far and it is becoming a bigger one every day.
    The FSP has been a huge success but there is a huge population of libertarians who won't move there because of its location on the east coast. With wyoming having a small population and the amount of people that want to be part of a project like this I think having another state would be beneficial. As for those of you that don't like Wyoming I think you need to see more of the state, it is easy to be turned off when you have only seen the desolate parts. Monatna is another good choice but the point is to concentrate the population.

With regards to overwhelming the population of any state with sheer numbers... Wyoming has the smallest population of any state. You would have to get 50,000 libertarians there just to outnumber the Mormons, and they've been there breeding for over a century. Being a religion, they're also a whole lot more coordinated as a social group than libertarians are. I think a better approach to these projects is to pick a place that's nice and that many people with a variety of different job skills and tastes would want to move to regardless of population. Being around a group of like-minded people for networking, moral support and social/cultural activities is more beneficial than the pipe dream of trying to overwhelm the electorate of an entire state. Of the things libertarians as a subculture have got going for them, numbers isn't one of them.
    Don't take Romney or huntsman as representative Mormons. In fact, most Mormons I know are quite liberty minded. Especially on economics, homeschooling, self sufficiency, and non -interventionist foreign policy. Ive successfully convinced most Mormons I know to support RP.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Why doesn't someone start a migration movement in a place that people actually want to be in? Washington or Oregon?
    One of the issues of modern life is that anyplace that is easy to live in, also will attract a large number of parasites.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about Oklahoma? Most of our population are closet libertarians anyway. Shame them just a bit and they remember their ideals. It's not like Washington gives us the time of day anyway.

I personally think the Free State Project will ultimately stretch from Canada to the Gulf, and from the Mississippi to the west face of the Rockies. A better name for it would be the Free Heartland Project.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-16-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    What about Oklahoma? Most of our population are closet libertarians anyway. Shame them just a bit and they remember their ideals. It's not like Washington gives us the time of day anyway.

I personally think the Free State Project will ultimately stretch from Canada to the Gulf, and from the Mississippi to the west face of the Rockies. A better name for it would be the Free Heartland Project.
    anywhere but ok. cops everywhere with not much better to do than harass ppl. Plus too many “christians“.

This is EXACTLY why it's the perfect place.

Look deeper, my friend.

Only libertarians would think the way to grow an activist movement is to start it in the middle of nowhere. I drove through Wyoming once. It was the most desolate place I've ever seen. Ice and rocks dotted with sheet metal villages and factories belching smoke, and maybe the occasional ranch. That was just the part you can see from the interstate. It made Nebraska look exciting and civilized.

I think a better approach to these projects is to pick a place that's nice and that many people with a variety of different job skills and tastes would want to move to regardless of population. Being around a group of like-minded people for networking, moral support and social/cultural activities is more beneficial than the pipe dream of trying to overwhelm the electorate of an entire state. Of the things libertarians as a subculture have got going for them, numbers isn't one of them.

I agree with your sentiment and would like to see a decent area (sorry, NH/Montana/Wy./Id. sound awful) whereby liberty activists come together (physically) and setup a town which practices life under common law, something like what the Amish do in PA. We would bring together all of our skills (law, farmers, tech, construction, militia, etc. etc.) and enforce our rights in a concentrated fashion. I believe that a successful implementation would spread like wildfire.

I have yet to perform any real analysis on how or if this would work. It would of course come with all the ramifications that a single individual would have to deal with when asserting their Constitutionally protected rights, but as a large group it would be very difficult to $#@! with us. (pardon the language)
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

I think we should be fair to the new guy and let him have his thread promoting Wyoming. BTW, lazerbeem, there is another FSW guy on this forum. If you haven't moved to WY yet, you should consider talking with him before you do.

From what I understand, some of the movers into WY aren't libertarian, but conservative. That isn't a bad thing.
    From what I understand, almost none of the movers are actively involved in politics in WY. So if this is about political change, WY should not even be on your list of choices unless you can inspire 100s of people that are completely different (people that are actually about political change) from most of the current movers.

Wyoming is a wonderful state to visit. I spent 5 days or so in the state before the FSP had a vote on which state to select. I went back and visited WY again last summer.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.