Thread: NYTimes: Focusing on Nomination, Paul Plots a Backup Plan

NYTimes: Focusing on Nomination, Paul Plots a Backup Plan

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/16/us...gate-math.html

But that is a fallback strategy, and Mr. Paul and his advisers say they are in it to win. They see a route to obtaining the 1,144 delegates needed by not overemphasizing primaries in expensive media markets, especially those where it is harder for independents to vote, and focusing on less-flashy contests where the expected cost per delegate is weighted more in their favor.

They will also try to win delegates through the machinery of state parties, where Paul supporters are now embedded in the apparatus. In Iowa, for example, whose delegates are not explicitly tied to caucus results, they believe they can take delegates that might otherwise be awarded to Rick Santorum, who essentially tied for first place with Mr. Romney, one Paul official said.

This “Moneyball”-like approach to delegates, which takes a page from the 2008 campaign of Barack Obama, is about to be put into play. Mr. Paul may make only one stop in Florida before that state’s Jan. 31 primary and will instead focus his efforts after the South Carolina primary on Saturday on caucuses in Colorado, Maine, Minnesota and Nevada and other places where the cost of television and mail programs is less expensive and where election rules favor his strategy.

People close to the Paul campaign say it would cost them $9 million to $10 million to run an effective campaign in Florida, where only about 50 delegates are at stake. Florida is a closed primary, so independent voters important to Mr. Paul’s strong showing in Iowa and New Hampshire cannot register just before the election. The state is also a winner-take-all contest, meaning only the victor walks away with delegates.

“There are four big caucuses coming up, with twice as many delegates as Florida, that will cost a third as much money, and we are focused on those,” one Paul official said.

With 28 delegates at stake, North Dakota also illustrates the strategy: the Paul campaign estimates that it will cost just $500,000 to run an effective campaign there, and delegates are awarded proportionately, so even if they do not finish first they could walk away with a decent allotment.
    a lot more at link
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    weird quotes - I'd love to hear the whole conversation.

One thing is clear, this time would have been better spent on SC outlets this week.
    Proudly in favor of firing Jesse Benton since 2007. Here's a 2008 classic post.

So even as the campaign has a “path to victory” that it is committed to pursuing aggressively, said Jesse Benton, Mr. Paul’s national campaign chairman, it does not expect to compromise if it is a runner-up. “If there were any negotiations after another candidate secured the nomination, our first rule and guiding principle is that we would refuse to allow our movement and our ideas to be co-opted,” Mr. Benton said
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

THIS is why it's important to become a delegate.

Is Florida really winner take all? I thought it was proportional.

Thanks for cutting out the ridiculous fluff that people shouldn't have to be put through, Sailing. I don't know what the guys at the campaign are trying to achieve by publicly becoming half defeatist all of a sudden.

the campaign is EXPLICIT that the liberty movement will not be hijacked. so stop IMMEDIATELY the crappy Rand as VP and other bogus ideas.These weak supporters of liberty NEED TO WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO THE CAMPAIGN NOW.

I take it as a warning to the establishment that reiterates our power in the event we do not win the nomination: We will not compromise our principles...so nominate Romney at your own peril.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They will also try to win delegates through the machinery of state parties, where Paul supporters are now embedded in the apparatus.
    Love this line!!!!

Much appreciation to the delegates for Paul!!!!
    Supporting Ron Paul since 2007-was an active member at the old RP forums in '07-'08, went by my name Cindy. Good times, good times getting involved with such awesome people for a critical cause. I will always love RP supporters for the kindred spirits they are to me. Bless all of you!!!!

Avatar is Nike- the goddess of Victory!

Ahuwale Ka Nane Huna translation- What was secret is no longer hidden.

They will also try to win delegates through the machinery of state parties, where Paul supporters are now embedded in the apparatus.
    I so hope the thought of not knowing who in the party might be a secret RP supporter keeps many party heads awake at night
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    I so hope the thought of not knowing who in the party might be a secret RP supporter keeps many party heads awake at night
    They're everywheeeeeeeeeere lol
    Supporting Ron Paul since 2007-was an active member at the old RP forums in '07-'08, went by my name Cindy. Good times, good times getting involved with such awesome people for a critical cause. I will always love RP supporters for the kindred spirits they are to me. Bless all of you!!!!

They're right to be afraid! Our support is truly nearing the tipping point, and once it does, party members will know they can openly support Paul without fear of retribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Dang, this article is full of loser talk. Hopefully the context is wrong, and we really are trying to win the nomination.
    Last edited by Bama Boy; 01-16-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Boy View Post
    Dang, this article is fool of loser talk. Hopefully the context is wrong, and we really are trying to win the nomination.
    I think the context is, "One way or the other, it's going to be Paul vs Obama, so you might as well get behind Paul now."

It's winner talk!

It's pretty much like saying, "Come out with your hands up. We have you surrounded." lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Boy View Post
    Dang, this article is fool of loser talk. Hopefully the context is wrong, and we really are trying to win the nomination.
    Clearly the campaign stressed we are trying to win, and they mention that, but their focus is obviously elsewhere.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

very good strategy.
    its not a sprint, its a marathon !
    Ron Paul 2012: Liberty, Peace and Prosperity for America !

Ron Paul: Predictions of 24 April 2002 - see how many came true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

Vote On Principles, Defend Our Constitution, Follow the Path shown by the Founders !

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Paul's "Moneyball" approach to winning the nomination

Paul's "Moneyball" approach to winning the nomination:

Mr. Paul and his advisers say they are in it to win. They see a route to obtaining the 1,144 delegates needed by not overemphasizing primaries in expensive media markets, especially those where it is harder for independents to vote, and focusing on less-flashy contests where the expected cost per delegate is weighted more in their favor.

They will also try to win delegates through the machinery of state parties, where Paul supporters are now embedded in the apparatus. In Iowa, for example, whose delegates are not explicitly tied to caucus results, they believe they can take delegates that might otherwise be awarded to Rick Santorum, who essentially tied for first place with Mr. Romney, one Paul official said.

This “Moneyball”-like approach to delegates, which takes a page from the 2008 campaign of Barack Obama, is about to be put into play. Mr. Paul may make only one stop in Florida before that state’s Jan. 31 primary and will instead focus his efforts after the South Carolina primary on Saturday on caucuses in Colorado, Maine, Minnesota and Nevada and other places where the cost of television and mail programs is less expensive and where election rules favor his strategy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/16/us...math.html?_r=1
    Last edited by Taco John; 01-16-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    THIS is why it's important to become a delegate.
    Yup, so for any new people here, who haven't looked into being a delegate, please do so now. Dr. Paul needs your support NOW. Please check the stickied delegates thread in Grassroots Central (or the first link in my sig).

Donate
    Phone From Home
    &
    Become a DELEGATE for Ron Paul

This is how we win!
    Delegates Thread on RPF: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ok-no-further!

Create your OWN GRASSROOTS ADS & run on NATIONAL TV CHEAP!
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr....2-mil-viewers!

BEWARE SUPER BROCHURES (DO NOT BUY/SUPPORT)

That is why we need a 3 person marathon to do it.