Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney becoming more like Ron Paul is *EXTREMELY* dangerous to our campaign

Mitt Romney becoming more like Ron Paul is *EXTREMELY* dangerous to our campaign

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time (well sort of) poster.

A couple of posts here and some of the news has brought me to the attention that Mitt Romney is beginning to flip-flop closer towards Ron Paul's viewpoints. It's a slow gradual change, but it could spell disaster for our campaign if it isn't dealt with.

Right now our main selling point is how completely different Ron Paul's positions are from all the other candidates. I've seen it said a lot that our campaign would gain a huge boost if we are seen as the Anti-Romney. Romney adopting Ron Paul's viewpoints changes all this -- suddenly the voters who would vote for us only because they're anti-romney would instead shift their votes to Romney, who they see as more electable and now more in tune with their own opinions. The Establishment vote could likely shift to another candidate (for example Newt), which would hurt Romney, but would keep more Establishment candidates in play, which is what we're trying to avoid. Ron Paul is being taken a lot more seriously right now because other candidates (besides Romney) haven't had any major upswings. Furthermore, some Ron Paul supporters (not us, surely!) would be willing to side with Romney if it looked like his campaign was listening to Ron Paul. Look at how the Tea Party got hijacked.

This would be an absolute disaster for the campaign. We know full well that even if Mitt Romney became a Ron Paul clone, he would fail to deliver. Even aside from Romney's rampant flip-flopping, it's very clear that Obama has failed to live up to the promises that got him elected. We cannot trust the Establishment to deliver on the promises they make in order to get elected.

If this situation arises (and it inevitably will as Ron Paul's popularity continues to soar and endorsements start coming in), we need to make sure we stress Ron Paul's political consistency and personal honesty. The fact that he doesn't see himself in the White House is actually a selling point, because it shows he places more emphasis on the issues at stake rather than his own position of power. We have to show how Romney is backed by major corporations, while we're funded by individuals and the military. All of this in an effort to let our supporters (especially the ones who haven't fully been converted) know that a Ron Paulian Romney presidency will be full of broken promises and small concessions to our beliefs.

We can't let what happened to the Tea Party happen to this movement as well. Ron Paul or No One at all.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lip service to smaller government isn't the same as adopting RP's views.

(BTW: Welcome!)
    Last edited by Edward; 01-14-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Romney can't sell himself as a Libertarian-leaning Republican. Nobody will buy that. Furthermore, most Paul supporters already know he's not trustworthy to carry out our ideals.

I agree but what sets Ron Paul apart is his record.

Some others forgot to mention in the other "Romney ripped off Paul at the Huck forum" post, that Romney also said,

"Obama is trying to fundamentally change our country. We are trying to Restore America."

That is Ron Pauls slogan. It's on our RP bumber stickers and T-shirts.

It's getting ridiculous.
    Supporting Ron Paul since 2007-was an active member at the old RP forums in '07-'08, went by my name Cindy. Good times, good times getting involved with such awesome people for a critical cause. I will always love RP supporters for the kindred spirits they are to me. Bless all of you!!!!

Avatar is Nike- the goddess of Victory!

Ahuwale Ka Nane Huna translation- What was secret is no longer hidden.

I wouldn't worry about it. Once the ankle biters are out of the race we can go scorched earth on him. He'll be recognized for what he is, his father was and painted as the "moderate to liberal" he is.

Gingrich is pulling punches because he's got his own bag of $#@! to carry around that makes him similar to romney. We'll let those two duke it out for a while.

Ron has so much ammo to use on this guy, though, it's going to be a Hiroshima x 1000. Come on.
    Last edited by archangel689; 01-14-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Is Romney Ron Pauling again?
    "You can prevent crimes by becoming a Police State. So if you advocate the Police State............the crime then will be against the American People and against Our Freedoms. And we will throw out so much of what Our Revolution was fought for." - Ron Paul, Nov. 22, 2011

You like Ben Swann? Let Raycom Media know!

He better put Ron on his ticket if he gets the nod, but my guess is he is trying to be in Ron's good graces because he knows that the nominee will be one of them.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The concern with Romney grabbing A LOT of Paul one liners and slogans is that, if people just associate a positive impression they got with a slogan or one liner , given by Paul or a Paul supporter after an "education on the message", they may later space the messenger and start thinking it was Mitt who gave them that postive impression when they hear the one liner or slogan again coming out of his mouth.

I wouldn't call it extremley dangerous to Pauls campaign though.

It's more like obnoxious right now.
    Supporting Ron Paul since 2007-was an active member at the old RP forums in '07-'08, went by my name Cindy. Good times, good times getting involved with such awesome people for a critical cause. I will always love RP supporters for the kindred spirits they are to me. Bless all of you!!!!

Avatar is Nike- the goddess of Victory!

Ahuwale Ka Nane Huna translation- What was secret is no longer hidden.

It's *****. Romney needs Paul's supporters, who are the most committed of any candidate. Romney can't smear Paul or he'll definitely lose the GE, but if Romney's too friendly, he may not win the GOP nomination.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

This does stink because every time I see Paulbot now I'm going to think of mittens.

eh, next week hell be ginrich and the week after that hell be santorum. you have to remember, this is romney were talking about

I wouldn't call it extremley dangerous to Pauls campaign though.

Well obviously not now. It's a gradual change anyway. It needs to be thought about however, in case hesitant RP supporters start drifting towards Romney.

eh, next week hell be ginrich and the week after that hell be santorum. you have to remember, this is romney were talking about

Romney's campaign isn't stupid. It's painfully obvious that there's something to the whole Ron Paul thing, since his beliefs are so radically different to the GOP but his support is rapidly rising. Romney already has enough of a lead to not place a priority on snatching up supporters from non-RP candidates.

It's also a mistake to assume that those under the Ron Paul banner are unified and immovable. In 2008 they would have been, however the campaign has reached out now beyond the libertarian fringe. I'm not trying to be cynical here, I still see the status quo as evil and us as the good guys restoring america, I'm just worried that we may not have the unity to pull off a NOBP campaign if Romney continues to concede to some of Paul's viewpoints.

I do think that those who have actually researched Paul's positions and support him because of that ARE immovable, the problem is that as this campaign gains more steam, not all Ron Paul supporters will be supporting him because of the conviction everyone here has. Yet we can't move slowly either or we'll never take the nomination.

I wouldn't be all that terribly surprised if Romney comes to realize that Ron Paul is the better man of the two and support him. He may be being exposed to a consistent, non-despotic philosophy of government for the first time in his life.

Hahahaa, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhin View Post
    If this situation arises... we need to make sure we stress Ron Paul's political consistency and personal honesty.
    ^ This. You answered your question within the question itself. Romney has no leg to stand on if this is the issue. It ends up being pretty easy to see the fake.

I am suprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of this revolution. John Adams in a letter to Abigail Adams July 3rd 1776

"You are Ron Paul every time you stand up for Liberty and Truth where they are challenged." dancjm

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have always believed in taking the offensive in political campaigns. I believe we should take away any advantages or good talking points/issues away from
    other campaigns. If we agree on any issue, talking point, or policy we should seize it. Our campaign is all about issues and policies.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel689 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Once the ankle biters are out of the race we can go scorched earth on him. He'll be recognized for what he is, his father was and painted as the "moderate to liberal" he is.

Gingrich is pulling punches because he's got his own bag of $#@! to carry around that makes him similar to romney. We'll let those two duke it out for a while.

Ron has so much ammo to use on this guy, though, it's going to be a Hiroshima x 1000. Come on.
    ^^this
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

You answered your question within the question itself. Romney has no leg to stand on if this is the issue. It ends up being pretty easy to see the fake.

For us, yes, but as Ron Paul gains popularity, not all ron paul supporters are going to be devoted or well-researched enough to see behind the lies of another candidate.

Our campaign is all about issues and policies.

Yes, but it's also about making sure we elect people who would actually make decisions based on those issues and policies. Long-term we don't necessarily have to vote for Ron Paul himself, but we need to make sure we're not voting for someone who only parrots his positions to get into office.

Again, look at what happened to the Tea Party. How is it that a movement started by Ron Paul would prefer Romney over its patron saint?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
    Is Romney Ron Pauling again?
    lmao...
    Life long democrat recently turned RonPaulitan

Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple
    "I like that guys spunk."

They've all been parroting Ron, but only Ron has the record to back it up.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Arrow 1 Star Thread

This is a bogus thread.

Rhetoric does not = record.

You can not change the Fact that Ron Paul is bigger then just WORDS, he is Action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY4_hfqQW0E

Anti-Hero, Activist, Purist, and Free.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable. -JFK

Successful people in life do what unsuccessful people don't feel like doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhin View Post
    For us, yes, but as Ron Paul gains popularity, not all ron paul supporters are going to be devoted or well-researched enough to see behind the lies of another candidate.
    This is where we, and the official campaign, focus on Romney's record. I'm sure that ad's highlighting his changing rhetoric will be a major staple. If he changes because he is converted, it's wonderful. But without the history to show that his change is sincere, he will be an easy target.
    I am suprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of this revolution. John Adams in a letter to Abigail Adams July 3rd 1776

"You are Ron Paul every time you stand up for Liberty and Truth where they are challenged." dancjm

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They can duplicate Ron Paul's message, but they will never duplicate Ron Paul's credibility.
    Rand Paul is in the top 1% of US Senators.

While I would love to believe people are smarter than this, Romney is leading in the polls still. If he parrots just enough he can get people to "believe" he likes limited government. Do not forget that he is the flip-flopper king. Because people are, and I hate to use this term nowadays but some people are sheep, and when they here freedom and limited government they stick like flies to ..... well you know. The problem is without people actually checking Romney's record, or seeing that he is a lying sack of ... also well-known, it will be difficult for us to identify the soft supporters of Ron that are just waiting to jump ship. (very unlikely but not all 100% of RP's supporters are hard core) I for one will never, but I also joined No one but Paul on FB. We do have a chance as Ron sits by and watches all the other candidates fall in line by attacking Romney. Justice will be served, and it will be remarkable to be a part of. :-)

restore america now ... I'm mitt romney and Goldman Sachs approves this message
    "It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." Robert Kennedy

http://scully13.wordpress.com/about men of dark intentions

romney says he will double military spending (which is today 700 billion) and STILL balance the budget.let us call him out for the blatant lies he is peddling.doublign the military budget will increase our deficit by 50%. he is a liar.he has not spoken of ONE significant cut. ron paul/audience should question him WHAT specific major cut he will propose.paul is taking a sledgehammer and still needs 3 years to balance.romney will start BY DOUBLING SPENDING and will balance the budget? romney cant see the lies he is peddling in his self contradictory statement. REVPAC AD Please

BTW.can we have a NONBP facebook page? .if we hit 500000 on it,establishment will $#@! bricks

I hope the other canditates vanish after SC, so we can focus on Romney. The rest are just a nuisance.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast