Thread: RON PAUL MUST CONVEY: JOBS JOBS JOBS - Not just "debt" - must connect with the layperson

RON PAUL MUST CONVEY: JOBS JOBS JOBS - Not just "debt" - must connect with the layperson

When we see the exit polling, those who felt "jobs/economy" was most important picked Mitt. YET, Ron Paul should own that. Ron Paul won with those who thought "debt" was the most important. Most people don't understand that the state of the economy is tied to the debt, and monetary policy. The layperson does NOT KNOW THIS!

Ron Paul MUST, HE MUST stress JOBS -- and not only debt, but intertwine them so that the layperson understands that under a Paul presidency jobs/economy will be on over-drive.

He really needs to do this.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For Ron to stress jobs he would have to engage in talk of some pretty arcane Austrian Business Cycle Theory. Everyone screams for him to shut up about these things because nobody but a few hard-cores understand it. Moreover, he doesn't believe in econometric modeling, so he has no way to claim how many jobs would be created. Mitt has no problem pulling numbers out of his ass.

Ron cannot just say that he will create more jobs. He doesn't believe it is the government's role to create jobs. He repeats in nearly every interview and speech that it is government's job to protect liberty, and that's it.

Unless we really want to delve into the arcane, this is not an argument that I think RP2012 should engage in - at least not yet. And not without an army of economists there to back him up.

Quote Originally Posted by StilesBC View Post
    For Ron to stress jobs he would have to engage in talk of some pretty arcane Austrian Business Cycle Theory. Everyone screams for him to shut up about these things because nobody but a few hard-cores understand it. Moreover, he doesn't believe in econometric modeling, so he has no way to claim how many jobs would be created. Mitt has no problem pulling numbers out of his ass.

Ron cannot just say that he will create more jobs. He doesn't believe it is the government's role to create jobs. He repeats in nearly every interview and speech that it is government's job to protect liberty, and that's it.

Unless we really want to delve into the arcane, this is not an argument that I think RP2012 should engage in - at least not yet. And not without an army of economists there to back him up.
    I don't believe he needs to abstain from this topic. He doesn't have to say "govt will create jobs", but along the lines of "..and what I have been talking about only helps the economy. And what does that mean, jobs. The only outcome from what I propose is a healthy environment for the market to produce more jobs....etc.."

He can frame it so that he can stress that the outcome of his policies will be the vehicle for an explosion of jobs and prosperity. Not that the govt creates jobs etc.. but that by allow govt to step out of the way.

It is just a plain fact that voters chose Romney because they believe he is better at "jobs". What does that mean? Romney is conveying he is the man for that job.. how so? What is he saying? What is he doing? But moreso, the voters are not making the connection between Ron's policies and its impetus to create a healthy environment for JOBS!

He must stress that. jobs.
    Last edited by Lord Xar; 01-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.

well, if you want Ron Paul to say he is immediately going to create jobs, I think this would be a lie. He would probably end a lot of jobs first, however several years down the road the economy would be much better. People looking for a quick fix won't find it under Ron Paul imo....
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

The government doesn't create jobs. Ron isn't going to pander.

However he can set the economy on the road to recovery and the private sector will be in better shape to create more jobs in the future.

Ron Paul: "The debt and regulations starve the small businesses and middle class. Government is not meant to be the creator of jobs, but it's because of big government advocates, the federal reserve, and to many regulations as to why the middle class is struggling to hire and create jobs. It's important to know that I am the only candidate talking about real cuts, that will shrink the government, which will put more money in your pockets and allow for job creation. Until the cuts I propose happen, the economy will NOT grow."

That's what Ron Paul needs to say. Simpler terms, and connecting the dots.
    Last edited by Philosophy_of_Politics; 01-11-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    "For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

The jobs thing should come up in his speech. People relate to that. They don't relate to debt. Only hardcore fiscal conservatives can relate to that.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by StilesBC View Post

He can talk about how he can stop the government from destroying jobs. Peter Schiff does a good job of this, it's not that complicated.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's something I wish he would propose: a one-year tax holiday from all federal income taxes.

He could say, "Yeah, I know it will mean a big deficit. But the cost would only be the same as what the cost of Obama's stimulus was. And I want to show America what a real stimulus would look like. The economy would blast off like a rocket. Plus, it would starve Washington of revenue and prevent them from passing more big spending bills."

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Currently the government destroys so many jobs that the market tries to create. Look at what the Obama admin. is doing to Gibson guitars for example. I thought Ron was already for getting rid of the income tax completely?
    Last edited by HigherVision; 01-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    When we see the exit polling, those who felt "jobs/economy" was most important picked Mitt. YET, Ron Paul should own that. Ron Paul won with those who thought "debt" was the most important. Most people don't understand that the state of the economy is tied to the debt, and monetary policy. The layperson does NOT KNOW THIS!

Ron Paul MUST, HE MUST stress JOBS -- and not only debt, but intertwine them so that the layperson understands that under a Paul presidency jobs/economy will be on over-drive.

He really needs to do this.
    The campaign needs to do this and needs to get out of philosophy mode and into practical mode.

In other words, we don't want Ron to do something dumb like promise people he'll create jobs, but he needs to have a clear message that his policies will get out of the way of the job creators. "the other candidates are talking about jobs and how they'll make new jobs - they just don't get it - the government needs to get out of the way so you can create the jobs!" or something

this also needs to be done on the plan to save social security (plan to restore america) and also on foreign affairs
    "You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government." - Patrick Henry - A Son of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by HigherVision View Post
    Currently the government destroys so many jobs that the market tries to create. Look at what the Obama admin. is doing to Gibson guitars for example. I thought Ron was already for getting rid of the income tax completely?
    I don't think he is proposing anything like that in the short-term.

Another variation of the idea would be for him to combine a one-year tax holiday with spending cuts equal to the lost revenue. Then he could say, "The deficit will stay the same. But look what we get for that. A year with no income taxes."

Once people got a taste of that, long-term elimination of them would start to look pretty attractive to a lot of people.
    Last edited by erowe1; 01-11-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Do think debt needs to be emphasized. What has made Paul's ads in the past work is they have been clear and detailed while the opposition's have been vague and fuzzy. He can't get away from this... Just saying "I'm for job creation" is horribly vague and voters are sick of hearing messages like this. They want specifics. Would love to see an ad that starts with a graph of the national debut (with a graph of the unofficial debt behind that such SS) and a narrator bring up the recent milestone of the national debt exceeding gdp and how this puts on on par with nations like Greece and Italy. Then (because EVERYBODY promises to lower debt) show all the past presidents bragging how they're for lowering the debt while a semi-transparent graph of the debt goes up during the years they are in office. Paul comes up and explains why he would be different and explains his trillion dollar cut to the budget (which other candidates haven't proposed).

I think that type of thing would be effective.

Linking debt reduction to job creation is tricky...because the national debt increases inflation (it doesn't drive up interest rates like Al Gore argued) and then when the Fed soaks up extra money to counter this they in turn create the unemployment which all started with the national debt. Don't know if you want to try to explain that to the public.

A very large portion or people -- even of Republicans -- don't pay income taxes.

The vast majority of those who DO pay income taxes, don't 'think' that they do, as it's taken out of their paycheck and they get a refund.

The point is, don't overestimate the average Joe's concern about federal income taxes. Most people couldn't care less what the top rate is as they'll never be in the top bracket. Most people couldn't care less what the capital gains rate is, as they have no capital gains.

As far as Jobs?

90% of people who want jobs have jobs.

Once again, don't overestimate the sincerity of the concern about unemployment.

If a person is employed -- and not fixated on the news every night -- he really couldn't care less what the unemployment rate is.

But, a financial issue that DOES resonate with EVERYONE is ENVY.
    Justifiable envy.

Bailouts.

Not permitting a bank to fail because it would hurt some important rich people's bottom lines.

These issues get people fired up.

It can also be quickly modified to attack Romney when the time comes, as some of his ventures received bailout money.

Yeah and Romney was for the bailouts and he's getting tons of campaign donations from banks. Would love to see Ron Paul expose Romney on this issue.

Jobs come from a Healthy Economy.

Debt makes a Sick Economy.

The Fed makes a Sick Economy.

Malinvestment makes a Sick Economy.

Whatever makes a Sick Economy.

Government does not create jobs, People do and when the Economy becomes Healthy by doing these things I want to do, People will create Jobs.

Giving Oxycontin for a broken leg will make the pain go away. But unless the proper treatment is administered, the persons leg will not heal correctly, and the person won't be able to run as fast.

Healthy economy vs Sick economy.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.