Thread: CNN Truth Squad: Gingrich's claim that he was not eligible for the draft is true

CNN Truth Squad: Gingrich's claim that he was not eligible for the draft is true

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Interesting that at the end of the article, it references a time in '89 when Gingrich himself expressed anxiety over whether or not he should have served. Ron's attack may be quite personal for Gingrich, assuming he still self-aware.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

No, it's not true. That is eligible but with deferments available, not ineligible.
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Why don't they add to the article and mention how even though Ron was married and had two kids as was already 28, he served his country.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Why don't they add to the article and mention how even though Ron was married and had two kids as was already 28, he served his country.
    According to factcheck.org, those who were fathers were less likely to be drafted unless they were a doctor, a veterinarian, or a dentist.

My adoptive dad was drafted to go to Korea. His dad died very shortly thereafter, and as an only child, he stayed home for six months to get his mother situated and find someone to do the farming. Then he went. He probably could have received a permanent deferment, but he didn't. Why? Because if he had stayed home, someone else would have gone.

I have an adoptive dad because my dad spent his leave time getting my mother pregnant. He wasn't able to make it home again until shortly after my birth. Unfortunately, as a single mother in the 60s, my mother wasn't even offered the option to see me in the delivery room. When my dad got home, I was already gone.

The draft sucked, and it's nice that Gingrich was able to go to college and stay with his family, but someone else went in his place. Someone else sacrificed instead. The point is, if he had been the one to answer the call, maybe he wouldn't be so quick to wish war upon others.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.