Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive list of Rick Santorum positions

Exclamation Comprehensive list of Rick Santorum positions

I intend to keep an ongoing thread of major anti-liberty positions of each significant candidate. I worked on a few of these in the last campaign also. Please bump this thread with new information as it comes out.

Article for sharing : Rick Santorum on the Issues

1996 - He voted for the anti-gun Lautenberg Amendment to Federally strip citizens of gun rights if they are convicted of a certain misdemeanors.

2001 - He voted for No Child Left Behind, further federalizing education in America, and doubling the size of the Department of Education, in both employees and in budget size.

2001 - He voted for the USA PATRIOT Act.

2001 - He voted to bailout the airline industry with Federal tax-dollars.

2002 - He voted for the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.

2002 - He voted to create the TSA, which now unconstitutionally searches people in airports, bus stations, subways, train stations, on highways, and more.

2003 - He voted to expand prescription drug entitlements with his support of Medicare Part D, which is now a $7 Trillion unfunded liability.

2004 - Endorsed pro-abortion candidate Arlen Specter.

2006 - He was the #1 most lobbied member of Congress.

2006 - Made list of most corrupt members of Congress.

2008 - Wrote an article titled Vote For Foreign Aid.

2008 - Endorsed Mitt Romney as his first choice in 2008 election.

2011 - Advocates a trade war with China.

2011 - Advocates sodomy laws used to imprison homosexuals.

2011 - Says that foreign scientists should be treated like members of al-Qaeda.

2011 - Advocates the TSA racially profiling Muslims.

2012 - Says that he would bomb Iran.

He voted to raise the debt ceiling at least 8 times.

He worked with Hillary Clinton to ban "inappropriate material" in video games.

“I came to the House as a real deficit hawk, but I am no longer a deficit hawk. I’ll tell you why. I had to spend the surpluses. Deficits make it easier to say no.” -- Rick Santorum, 2/5/2003 (source)

"If you're a conservative, there really is only one place to go right now. I would even argue farther than that. If you're a Republican, if you're a Republican in the broadest sense, there is only one place to go right now and that's Mitt Romney." -- Rick Santorum, 2/1/2008 (source)

"I don’t want to go to a trade war. I want to beat China. I want to go to war with China and make America the most attractive place in the world to do business." -- Rick Santorum, 10/11/2011 (source)

“And I stood up from the very beginning back in 2003 when the Supreme Court was going create a constitutional right to sodomy and said this is wrong we can’t do this. And so I stood up when no one else did and got hammered for it. I stood up and I continue to stand up.” -- Rick Santorum, 10/22/2011, (source)

"I have always been a supporter of uniform laws on values that undergird the family. That's why I supported the Federal Marriage Amendment - you cannot have 50 different marriage laws. And you cannot have 50 different abortion laws." -- Rick Santorum, 2011 (source)

"Don’t give me this idea — I hear this: ‘Oh, you’re a moralist. You’re trying to impose your values.’ Everybody’s trying to impose their values. That’s what America’s about." -- Rick Santorum, 12/29/2011 (source)

CONCLUSION: Rick Santorum is a poster-boy for what drove voters away from his party during the Bush years. He supported all the worst expansions of the Federal Government when his so-called "conservative" principles should have led him to opposition. He's voted for the creation of multiple Federal agencies, supported bailouts, helped double the Department of Education, allowed the Federal Government to spy on U.S. citizens without warrants, supported every interventionist war, is an outspoken supporter of foreign aid, supported a terribly irresponsible expansion of Medicare, and has a history of making anti-libertarian comments. He is eager to use the power of govern to enforce his biases against certain cultures and lifestyles -- the mentality of a true authoritarian social engineer.

.... More to come!! .... Post the dirt as you find it .... Contact me to volunteer ...
    .... See my signature for more candidates ...
    Last edited by rambone; 07-22-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    Opposition Candidate Research Threads for 2016: Donald Trump | Rick Santorum | Jeb Bush | Rick Perry | Marco Rubio | Ben Carson | Chris Christie | Scott Walker | Mike Huckabee | Paul Ryan | Ted Cruz | Bobby Jindal | Carly Fiorina | Hillary Clinton | Bernie Sanders | Elizabeth Warren | Jim Webb | Gary Johnson

{ Visit PoliceStateUSA.com }

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Exclamation Judge Napolitano exposes another Big Government supporter

"One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish Right. They have this idea that people should be left alone, do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and our regulations low, that we shouldn't get involved in the bedroom, that we shouldn't get involved in cultural issues. That is not how traditional conservatives view the world." -- Rick Santorum

Opposition Candidate Research Threads for 2016: Donald Trump | Rick Santorum | Jeb Bush | Rick Perry | Marco Rubio | Ben Carson | Chris Christie | Scott Walker | Mike Huckabee | Paul Ryan | Ted Cruz | Bobby Jindal | Carly Fiorina | Hillary Clinton | Bernie Sanders | Elizabeth Warren | Jim Webb | Gary Johnson

Exclamation Santorum: Pursuit of Happiness harms America

Again Rick rants on television about how people should not be allowed the freedom to do what they want to do. He says real conservatives don't pursue individual liberty, but mandatory responsibilities imposed for the "common good." He says that social freedom is a Leftist position.

Santorum brags about bans on video game content

Rick made a campaign video in 2006 bragging about working with Hilary Clinton to federally ban "inappropriate content" from video games. Seconds later he punches a wrestler in the face.

Rick Santorum: Gay people should stop being gay

In an interview with Chris Wallace, he goes on a tirade about how gay discrimination is nothing like race discrimination. He suggests that there are "all sorts of studies" that suggest that gay people can reform themselves and stop being gay, and therefore, his discrimination against homosexuals is justified.

This man has some serious issues with other people's lifestyles.

Brilliant, thanks for this. Great talking points to dissuade people from supporting him.

I ran across this, I think it's a good start. You can merge it with the above.

I haven't fact-checked the voting record all the way; should be cross-referenced against this and other sources.

Rick Santorum

- Voted for Prescription Drug Benefit mandate.
    - Endorsed Arlen Specter.
    - Agreed with Newt on illegal immigration when Newt mentioned his limited amnesty.
    - Voted for the Gun Manufacturers Liability Act of 1994 prohibiting the sale of hand guns with safety devices.
    - Voted against Death Tax repeal in 2003.
    - Voted for the federal regulation of farms requiring that large farms construct animal waste treatment facilities.
    - Voted for Bushs' No Child Left Behind and other national testing initiatives.
    - Voted for affirmative action (later voted against it).
    - Voted for Minimum Wage increases (Flipped on this several times).
    - Voted for federal funds for military operations in Bosnia.
    - Voted to cut Trident II D-5 missiles several times.
    - Voted against the elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts funding numerous times.
    - Voted to seize private property to designate 7 million acres of Cal. desert as a wilderness area.
    - Voted against the first amendment and for lobbying restrictions and regulations.
    - Voted for the Motor Voter law several times.
    - Voted to limit Striker Replacement of union thugs.
    - Voted on the FY 94 Clinton budget, which contained at that time the largest tax increase in U.S. history.
    - Voted against SDI several times.
    - Voted against Hunter amendment that sought to require the Defense Department to ask individuals entering the armed forces if they are homosexuals. (He later switched to the more conservative position on this).
    - Voted against school choice early in his career. (He later switched to the more conservative position on this).
    - Voted against both the 1991, 1992 spending freeze and voted for numerous large Bush II Budgets.
    - Voted for tabaco tax increases (1998).
    - Voted against the exemption of banks with assets of less than $250 million from the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act (1998).
    - Voted for the Chemical Weapons Treaty of 1997 that the ACU said, "violated U.S. constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure, ceded U.S. national sovereignty to international agencies, and threatened U.S. defense forces".
    - Voted for Kassenbaum amendment to the Ryan White Reauthorization which allowed for funds to be used to promote homosexuality or intravenous drug use.
    - Voted for the 2005 highway bill that included thousands of wasteful earmarks, including the Bridge to Nowhere.
    - Voted to continue funding the Bridge to Nowhere rather than send the money to rebuild New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
    - Sponsored a bill to extend milk subsidies in 2005, which he claimed he did to “save countless Pennsylvania dairy farmers.”

Some additional points from here:

- A prolific supporter of earmarks, having requested billions of dollars for pork projects in Pennsylvania while he was in Congress. Perhaps recognizing the sign of the times, Santorum finally reversed his position in 2010, saying that he was opposed to them , but one must remain skeptical about his sincerity. As recently as 2009, he said, “I’m not saying necessarily earmarks are bad. I have had a lot of earmarks. In fact, I’m very proud of all the earmarks I’ve put in bills. I’ll defend earmarks.”

- An examination of his scores in the NTU rating of Congress shows that Santorum compiled a very strong record on taxes and spending in the first four years of each of his two Senate terms, then a sharp swing to below the Senate Republican average in the Congress before his reelection campaign.

- In the 2003-2004 session of Congress, Santorum sponsored or cosponsored 51 bills to increase spending, and failed to sponsor or co-sponsor even one spending cut proposal. In his last Congress (2005-2006), he had one of the biggest spending agendas of any Republican -- sponsoring more spending increases than Republicans Lisa Murkowski, Lincoln Chafee and Thad Cochran or Democrats Herb Kohl, Evan Bayh and Ron Wyden.

- Santorum also supported raising congressional pay at least three times, in 2001, 2002, and 2003.

- He voted NO on raising the minimum wage in 1995 and 2005. But on the same day he voted NO in 2005, he sponsored an amendment that would increase the minimum wage, which he later boasted about to skeptical voters in a 2006 campaign brochure he released called “50 Things You Didn’t Know About Rick Santorum.”

- In the same “50 Things” campaign brochure, Santorum boasts about sponsoring a bill to regulate “price gouging and unfair pricing by the big oil companies.” This contradicts his opposition to a “windfall profits tax” that Democrats tried to impose on oil companies in 2005. He also voted YES on Sarbanes-Oxley, which was an overreaching bill that tried to tighten accounting regulations following the Enron scandal.

Also see: Rick Santorum the Pro-Life Statist

What a lunatic. This is the biggest fringe candidate in the whole racereally.
    The Swedish Forum of Freedom of Speechs thread about Ron Paul!

https://www.flashback.org/t491683

I love Sweden. But I hate the state that is governing it.

Buddy Roemer for President 2012!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wink Santorum: I didn't say black people, I said BLAH people *LOL*

Rick Santorum dances around the words out of his own mouth.

This is the original speech that caused him to make headlines.

"I don't want to make black (blah?) people's lives better..."

Bump!
    NEBRASKA FOR RON PAUL

He lost his senate seat here in PA over scandals.

He wasn't living in PA when he was senator. He bought a $700,000 mansion in VA and was living there. He claimed his residence was a $70,000 2 bedroom house outside Pittsburgh, he has 7 kids. It was on the news several times, run down grass not cut, no furniture. But he claimed to commute back there every week. He refused to back down. Then he rented it out and bad for him, the renters registered to vote with frothy's address. Still frothy wouldn't back down and claimed to live there on tv. Well it gets better. Frothy then enrolled his kids in some online charter school and billed the school district in PA $20,000 per kid per year for their education, while he was living in VA. The school district won against frothy, but missed some sort of legal deadline. Frothy has never paid the money back to date.

I'm sure this all will come out, it was all over the news here back then.

Santorum-endorsed Arlen Specter gave Democrats the key 60th vote to pass Obamacare

Exclamation Santorum wanted individuals to be forced to buy health insurance (1994)

Another Republican who was for federal health care mandates. :coffee:

Candidates Diverge On Health Care Remedies
    - May 2, 1994
    Santorum and Watkins would require individuals to buy health insurance rather than forcing employers to pay for employee benefits. Both oppose abortion services and support limits on malpractice awards. Santorum says non-economic damages should not exceed $250,000, adjusted annually for inflation, and lawyers' contingency fees should be capped at 25 percent.

The Republicans are split, however, on the issues of raising "sin" taxes to pay for expanded coverage and on allowing a national board to set spending limits.

Watkins would allow a tax increase on cigarettes, alcohol and firearms; Santorum would not. Also, Watkins supports a national cap on spending, provided it doesn't force rationing. Santorum says no to board-set limits.
    Santorum Wants Debate On Health Care - May 28, 1994
    For several years, Santorum has promoted a Republican alternative. It would require workers to buy their own health insurance and allow monthly tax-free contributions into "Medisave" accounts to pay for routine medical servi

Thumbs down Rick Santorum on SOPA: "There are limits to freedom on the Internet"

Santorum spends an inordinate amount of time telling Americans how we are not free.

"Like any freedom there has to be regulation." -- Rick Santorum

"The Internet has been a powerful force for bad." -- Rick Santorum

"There are limits to freedom on the Internet." -- Rick Santorum

Last edited by rambone; 01-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Thank you for this. My father just switched from Perry to Santorum... oh dear...
    Red: the blood of angry men
    Black: the dark of ages past
    Red: a world about to dawn
    Black: the night that ends at last!

Philadelphia Daily News who covered Santorum for 12 years.....lists 10 things about Santorum, some of which are kind of disturbing especially the ones on the use of cash at a foundation Santorum started and his leadership PAC
    The Rick Santorum that America doesn't know

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/a...esnt-know.html

Operation Good Neighbor Foundation. While in its first few years the charity cut checks to community groups for $474,000, Operation Good Neighbor Foundation had actually raised more than $1 million, from donors who overlapped with Santorum's political fund raising. Where did the majority of the charity's money go? In salary and consulting fees to a network of politically connected lobbyists, aides and fundraisers, including rent and office payments to Santorum's finance director Rob Bickhart, later finance chair of the Republican National Committee.
    http://prospect.org/article/sour-charity

so-called "leadership PAC" created by Santorum that was supposed to fund other Republicans instead seemed to mostly pay for the lifestyle of Santorum and those around him.
    http://prospect.org/article/little-help-his-friends

organized by executives of Outback Steakhouses, a company that shared Santorum's passion for a low minimum wage for waitresses and other rank-and-file workers. Santorum's efforts were also aided by his unusual mode of travel: Wal-Mart's corporate jet.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...cmpid=15585797

Santorum raised his family in northern Virginia and rarely if ever seemed to use the small house that he claimed as his legal residence, in a blue-collar Pittsburgh suburb called Penn Hills
    Pennsylvania voters were shocked when they found out the Penn Hills School District had paid out $72,000 for the home cyberschooling of five of Santorum's kids, hundreds of miles away in a different state. The cash=strapped district was unsuccessful in its efforts to get any of its money back from Santorum.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...cmpid=15585797

ex-Pennsylvania senator spent much of his final years in government trying to downplay and defend his involvement in the so-called "K Street Project
    By all accounts, Santorum was the Senate's "point man" on the K Street Project and met -- at least occasionally and perhaps frequently with super lobbyist and taxpayer's money user fanatic Grover Norquist and felon and House majority whip Tom DeLay -- to make Republicans land into well-paying jobs with top lobbying firms that were seeking to then access and influence other Republicans.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Stree...nce_themselves

(after Santorum's defeat in 2006)an internal memo at the drug giant GlaxoSmithKline said his departure from Washington "creates a big hole that we need to fill.
    Medicare Part D, a prescription drug plan for the elderly that has added hundreds of billions of dollars to the federal deficit and was drafted in such a way to best help pharmaceutical companies maximize profits from all the unbridled spending.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/1...-_n_34802.html

his devotion to a large American corporate behemoth, Wal-Mart: In the wake of the report about Santorum's travel in the Wal-Mart corporate jet, I counted the many ways that Santorum had done the bidding of the world's largest retailer in the Senate, including battling to limit any increases in the minimum wage and seeking to make changes in overtime rules that woulld benefit the company and hurt its blue-collar workforce, tort reform to limit lawsuits against what is said to be the world's most-sued company, and changes in charitable giving laws and of course eliminating the estate tax that would benefit the billionaire heirs of Sam Walton.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/a...-Wal-Mart.html

his political values are guided by his religious values....despite inviting such scrutiny, there's been little access allowed into Santorum's ties to ultra-conservative movements within the Roman Catholic Church
    ... just like Pres. B O and his public scrutiny of his birth certificate and transparency government

note: he is active participant in Legatus (some 500 Catholic elite billionaires and millionaires are initiates of the Opus Dei that is affiliate in Legatus)

http://news.yahoo.com/opus-dei-influ...201937160.html

http://natcath.org/NCR_Online/archiv...02/011802f.htm

http://www.legatusmagazine.org/?p=2042

http://gawker.com/5050016/how-legatu...wn-wall-street

note: starts at 04:23 about Legatus

the Tea Party loves to hate, a $750 million energy plant in Schuylkill County, Pa., that was to convert coal to liquids but needed massive subsidies (turning into billions to date). Santorum boasted of his rule in securing an $100 million federal loan for the project -- which had hired Pennsylvania's top Republican Party power broker Bob Asher, as a lobbyist and paid him at least $900,000. Despite Santorum's efforts, the plant has not been built.
    http://articles.philly.com/2006-07-2...el-foreign-oil

Santorum apparently believes in "an entitlement culture" when it comes for former politicians
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/op...lans.html?_r=1

Huffington Post looks back at a story it published this past June on the presidential candidate's connection to a troubled hospital chain.....

The Pines may be exceptional in terms of racking up state violations, but it also boasts a singular distinction: The board of the center's parent company, Universal Health Services, which bought The Pines in November, included former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.).

Santorum, who recently launched a presidential bid, resigned from the UHS board on June 15, a week after the publication of a Huffington Post report on UHS facilities during his tenure. The former senator had served on the UHS board since 2007, a period which saw the company twice sued by the Department of Justice.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1179435.html
    Last edited by row333au; 01-19-2012 at 06:39 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Rick Santorum gave speech calling current conflicts a "World War" (2006)

I am disturbed anytime a neocon warmonger wants to turn these conflicts into an outright "World War."

These are Rick Santorum's words:

The Great Test of This Generation - 7/20/2006, National Press Club
    ... Now most of you would expect me to launch into my oft written speeches about culture, the family, and children.

Not today. No today the biggest issue facing our children’s future is a war. Not, as so many describe it, the War on Terror. Not the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. But the world war, which at its heart is just like the previous three global struggles.

In those wars we fought against European tyrants and their allies, from the Kaiser to Hitler to Lenin, Stalin, and their heirs. We fought them because we knew that our survival was at stake. The tyrants would never stop attacking until they had defeated us, or we had defeated them.

Our only choices – choices imposed on us, not chosen by us – were either winning or losing, because there was no way out.

We are in the same kind of conflict today. Some say we are fighting a War on Terror. That is like saying World War II was a war on blitzkrieg. Terror like blitzkrieg is a tactic used by our enemy, not the enemy itself.

In World War II we fought Naziism and Japanese imperialism. Today, we are fighting against Islamic fascists. They attacked us on September 11th because we are the greatest obstacle to their openly declared mission of subjecting the entire world to their fanatical rule.

I believe that the threat of Islamic fascism is just as menacing as the threat from Nazism and Soviet Communism. Now, as then, we face fanatics who will stop at nothing to dominate us. Now, as then, there is no way out; we will either win or lose.

Santorum endorsed Mitt Romney for President (2008)

Photo: Pancake Pantry Feb. 4, 2008 in Nashville, TN.

Rick Santorum plans to give "mountains of aid" to Cuba

Jan 23, 2012 GOP NBC Debate

Rick Santorum's own promotional flyer is full of socialist nonsense (2006)

Wow. Rick Santorum wrote his own hit-piece in 2006.

He comes up with 50 points that are almost entirely associated with growing the government and increasing spending. He is quite proud of his socialist record.

50 Things You May Not Know About Rick Santorum

1) Brags about perpetual increases to Social Security recipients.
    2) Brags about Federal spending increase on the environment.
    3) Brags about Medicare entitlement expansion.
    4) Brags about foreign aid.
    6) Brags about Federal spending increase on the environment.
    9) Brags about funding stem-cell research.
    11) Brags about Federal spending increase on education.
    12) Brags about more spending on unemployment.
    13) Brags about Federal subsidies for college for poor people.
    14) Brags about Medicare entitlement expansion. (Medicare Part D)
    17) Brags about Federal internet restrictions.
    19) Brags about Federal restrictions on pet industry.
    21) Brags about Federal farm subsidies.
    22) Brags about Federal price controls on oil.
    23) Brags about Federal minimum wage increases.
    24) Brags about Federal spending on home utility bills.
    25) Brags about Federal health insurance subsidies.
    29) Brags about Federal spending increase for health care.
    31) Brags about Federal spending increase for education.
    32) Brags about Federal spending increase for education. (Headstart)
    33) Brags about Federal spending increase for fire companies?
    35) Brags about Federal spending increase for education.
    38) Brags about Federal restrictions on State justice systems.
    39) Brags about Federal involvement in hiring teachers.
    40) Brags about Federal spending increase for health care.
    43) Brags about Federal spending increase for health care.
    44) Brags about preventing Congress from cutting food stamps.
    45) Brags about expanding Medicare entitlements.
    46) Brags about Federal spending increase for Pennsylvania's highways.
    47) Brags about preventing closure of defense sites.
    48) Brags about a spending increase on the military.
    49) Brags about Federal spending increase for education.
    50) Brags about Federal spending increase for farm subsidies.

Santorum: Idea of Christians having aggressive role in Crusades "anti-historical" (2011)

“The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow an aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical. And that is what the perception is by the American left who hates Christendom.”

-- Rick Santorum, 2/22/2011

Santorum: Left hates 'Christendom'

Noted Historian Rick Santorum Retcons The Crusades
    There is a narrow sense in which one could make this argument with a straight face: The Crusades began in response to requests for help by the Christian Byzantine emperor Alexios I in defending against incursions into Anatolia by Muslim Seljuk Turks. A century of fighting such advancement along the borders of Christian Europe certainly created the conditions for Pope Urban II to agree. But that’s about as far as it goes.

Over the course of two centuries and nine crusades, Catholic forces launched campaigns not only to “defend Christendom,” but also for purely economic and political reasons. Crusaders not only fought Muslims in Palestine, but “pagan Slavs, pagan Balts, Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox Christians, Mongols, Cathars, Hussites, Waldensians, Old Prussians, and political enemies of the various popes.” Even leaving aside the depredations within Europe (not to mention without) that Crusaders committed from the very start, by the time they were petering out, they’d long since stopped being primarily about defending Christendom in any but the purely rhetorical sense.

Ayatollah Santorum: Freedom ends at web poker

Ayatollah Rick is a real freedom fighter. All he does is think of "vices" that he'd like to ban using the might of the Federal Government.

He flew out to Nevada this week and campaigned against gambling. Well played sir.

Last edited by rambone; 02-03-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Thumbs down Santorum: "You will not be safe, even here in Missouri"

Santorum is just the fearmongerer we need to keep us all quivering in the fetal position, wetting our pants, and asking government to keep us safe.

Santorum: Missouri isn't safe if Iran gets nukes
    "Once they have a nuclear weapon, let me assure you, you will not be safe even here in Missouri," Santorum said. "These are folks who have been and are at war with us since 1979," he said of Iran.

Santorum recalled that the improvised explosive devices which are "the number one killer and maimer of our troops in the Middle East" were "manufactured in Iran, by the Iranian government, and distributed to the terrorists in both Iraq and Afghanistan."

Thumbs down Santorum: You will not be safe even in Greenville, South Carolina

Peddling fear is one of his main platforms.

Doomsday warning from Rick Santorum
    On Iranian policy, he warns that Tehran first would destroy Israel and then turn its sights on the United States. "They cannot have a nuclear weapon, because you, in Greenville, will not be safe," he said in South Carolina.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs down Rick Santorum's anti-gun history

Rick Santorum has been wishy-washy on gun rights, just like he has been wishy-washy on capitalism, freedom, obeying the constitution, opposing Big Government, being fiscally conservative, etc. For a look at the rest of his record, go here.

On gun rights, Santorum helped crack down on gun shows, supported Lautenberg's anti-gun legislation, mandated handgun locks, and supports pro-establishment anti-gun candidates.

On top of what is mentioned in this article, he voted to create a new Federal agency, the Travel Security Agency (TSA), whose sole job is to set up checkpoints and disarm American citizens. That's the exact opposite of a constitutional, pro-gun stance.

Rick Santorum's anti-gun history
    In the 90s, he voted to support the Lautenberg Gun Ban, which stripped law-abiding gun owners of their Second Amendment rights for life, simply because they spanked their children or did nothing more than grab a spouses wrist.

He voted for a bill in 1999 disguised as an attempt to increase penalties on drug traffickers with guns… but it also included a provision to require federal background checks at gun shows.

And then he voted with gun-controlling Democrats Dianne Fienstein and Frank Lautenberg to mandate locks on handguns in 2005.

But worst of all, Rick Santorum has a storied history of bailing out anti-gun Republicans facing reelection.

Rick Santorum came to anti-gun Arlen Specter’s defense in 2004 when he was down in the polls against pro-gun Republican Pat Toomey. Specter won and continued to push for gun control during his years in the Senate.

He also supported and openly campaigned for anti-gun New Jersey governor, Christine Todd Whitman.

The evidence is clear. Not only is Rick Santorum refusing to reveal where he stands on important Second Amendment issues, he has a long record of supporting anti-gun legislation and politicians.
    Pro-gun group goes after Rick Santorum for not completing its survey, launches robo-calls
    An uncompromising gun rights organization, which previously attacked Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, is now going after his Republican rival, Rick Santorum.

The National Association for Gun Rights launched robo-calls against Santorum this weekend, after publishing an anti-Santorum letter on its website last week. The group says Santorum never filled out its survey, and claims he has a “long history of supporting gun control.”

Here's just one video I put together on Santorum, this one was updated today:

Can we PLEASE get a Santorum site up and running? One that only targets him for his anti-conservative positions, like bailouts and being anti-gun. PLEASE???
    Ron Paul is #BringingLibertyBack!

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    He lost his senate seat here in PA over scandals.

He wasn't living in PA when he was senator. He bought a $700,000 mansion in VA and was living there. He claimed his residence was a $70,000 2 bedroom house outside Pittsburgh, he has 7 kids. It was on the news several times, run down grass not cut, no furniture. But he claimed to commute back there every week. He refused to back down. Then he rented it out and bad for him, the renters registered to vote with frothy's address. Still frothy wouldn't back down and claimed to live there on tv. Well it gets better. Frothy then enrolled his kids in some online charter school and billed the school district in PA $20,000 per kid per year for their education, while he was living in VA. The school district won against frothy, but missed some sort of legal deadline. Frothy has never paid the money back to date.

I'm sure this all will come out, it was all over the news here back then.
    PS department of Education funds. So this is what Santorum did

Lawless America has a nice report on Santorum: http://www.lawlessamerica.com/index....ent&Itemid=100

Santorum, Rick
    Accused Party Type: Official - Elected
    Accused Party Title: U.S. Senator
    Court or Office: U.S. Senate
    Accused State: Pennsylvania
    State of Complaint: Pennsylvania
    Types of Misconduct: Ethics
    Rating of the Accused Party: 5

Rick Santorum, used $100,000 of PA state funds earmarked for that state's school children to educate his own children, who were not residents of Pennsylvania. source (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04323/413787.stm)
    In the news release, Pennsylvania Department of Education Awards $20.9 Million to Promote Academic Achievement and Assist At-Risk Students in High-Poverty Schools, issued 19-Jan-2012 by Pennsylvania Department of Education over PR Newswire, we are advised by the organization that the headline and the first paragraph, first sentence, should read "$64.4 million" rather than "$20.9 million" as originally issued inadvertently. In addition, several of the dollar amounts in the Editor's Note were incorrectly listed. The complete, corrected release follows:

Pennsylvania Department of Education Awards $64.4 Million to Promote Academic Achievement and Assist At-Risk Students in High-Poverty Schools

HARRISBURG, Pa., Jan. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Secretary of Education Ron Tomalis today announced the 57 schools and organizations that will receive a total of $64.4 million as part of the 21st Century Community Learning Challenge Grant.

Richard John "Rick" Santorum (born May 10, 1958) is a former United States Senator from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Santorum is a member of the Republican Party and was the chairman of the Senate Republican Conference.

Santorum is considered both a social and fiscal conservative. He is particularly known for his stances on the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Social Security, intelligent design, homosexuality, and the Terri Schiavo case.

In March 2007, Santorum joined the law firm Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC. He was to primarily practice law in the firm’s Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C. offices, where he was to provide business and strategic counseling services to the firm's clients. In addition to his work with the firm, Santorum also serves as a Senior Fellow with the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, D.C., and was a contributor to Fox News Channel.

Santorum is a prospective presidential candidate in 2012. He formed a presidential exploratory commitee on April 13, 2011.

In November 2004, a controversy developed over education costs for Santorum's children. Santorum's legal address is a three-bedroom house in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, which he purchased for $87,800 in 1997 and is located next to the home of his wife's parents. But since 2001, he has spent most of the year in Leesburg, Virginia, a town about one hour's drive west of Washington, D.C., and about 90 minutes' drive south of the Pennsylvania border, in a house he purchased for $643,000. The Penn Hills Progress, a local paper, reported that Santorum and his wife paid about $2,000 per year in property taxes on their Pennsylvania home ($487.20 per year to Allegheny County, 2006 through 2008, based on a 2007 value of $106,000, plus Penn Hills School District tax). The paper also found that another couple — possibly renters — were registered voters at the same address.

At the time the issue arose, Santorum's five older children attended the Western Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School, with 80 percent of tuition costs paid by the Penn Hills School District. At a meeting in November 2004, the Penn Hills School District announced that it did not believe Santorum met the qualifications for residency status, because he and his family spent most of the year in Virginia. They demanded repayment of tuition costs totaling $67,000.

When news reports showed Sen. Santorum was renting his Penn Hills home, Santorum withdrew his five children from the cyber education program that Penn Hills School District paid for.

That saved Penn Hills taxpayers about $38,000 a year. Although Santorum said he would make other arrangements for his children's education, he insisted that he did not owe the school board any back tuition. Once the controversy surfaced, the children were withdrawn from the cyber school and were then home schooled.

July 8, 2005, a Pennsylvania state hearing officer had ruled that the Penn Hills School District had not filed objections to Santorum's residency in a timely manner and dismissed the complaint. Santorum hailed the ruling as a victory against what he termed "baseless and politically motivated charges". Santorum told reporters that "[n]o one's children — and especially not small, school-age children — should be used as pawns in the 'politics of personal destruction.'" In the 2006 senate campaign, Santorum ran television commercials with Santorum's son saying "My dad's opponents have criticized him for moving us to Washington so we could be with him more."

September 2006
    , the Pennsylvania Department of Education agreed to pay the district $55,000 to settle the dispute over money withheld from the district to pay for the children of U.S. Senator Rick Santorum to attend a cyber charter school.

The matter rose again in May 2006. Santorum has said that his family stays during holidays and at times on weekends at the Penn Hills house. But the Progress reported in May that the house appeared unoccupied, and Casey's campaign noted that in a press release. Santorum then accused Casey's campaign of supporting trespassing on his property, saying of Casey "Now that he is a nominee, it is time for him to start acting like a candidate instead of a thug." Casey, in a statement, called the charges "false and malicious." His campaign, in a news release, described Santorum's actions as "weirdness".

September 2006, Santorum formally asked that the county remove the homestead tax exemption from his Penn Hills residence. He said that he had made similar requests to county officials in conversations in 2005 and earlier in 2006, but to no avail. In his letter, Santorum insisted that he was entitled to the exemption, which is worth about $70 annually, but chose not to take advantage of it because of the political dispute. While homeowners in the county are eligible for a tax savings averaging $70 a year on their primary residences, the county council president noted that Santorum had "said during a televised debate that he spends about 30 days in his Penn Hills house each year.".

Allegheny County Election Office records indicate that, while a registered voter in the county, Santorum had since 1995 voted absentee.

The only way for Santorum to not pay for his children's private education was to enroll them in the Penn Hills School District. Virginia state law only requires local school districts to pay for private school tuition fee when a student has disabilities and enrolls in a school that can satisfy his or her needs, according to Charles Pyle, Virginia Department of Education spokesman. Otherwise, children in Virginia must attend their local public schools.

Santorum's supporters have said that the controversy is politically motivated because the school board is controlled by Democrats (Erin Vecchio, the school board member who first publicly raised the issue, is the chair of the local Democratic Party). They also have said that since Santorum votes in Penn Hills and pays property and school taxes there, he is entitled to the same privileges as any other Penn Hills resident and should not be deprived of these privileges as a result of his service in the U.S. Senate.

Non-residency issues have raised questions of hypocrisy, in that Santorum had previously castigated Representative Doug Walgren for moving away from his district.
    Getting popular... more on Frothy
    POLITICO: Rick Santorum's TOP 10 problems
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72607.html

Hey, Newt - you’re not the only one in the race with some serious baggage. Man-of-the-hour Rick Santorum, riding high after his Tuesday hat trick of wins in Missouri, Minnesota and Colorado, has said and done plenty of things that could come back to bite him in the primaries or general election if he gets that far. Here are POLITICO’s top 10:

1. Losing Big in 2006: Despite being elected twice as a congressman, then twice again as a senator from Pennsylvania, Santorum’s last race ended in a landslide defeat in his homestate that raises questions about his national electability. Indeed, he was trounced in 2006 by 18 points by Bob Casey Jr., at the time the largest margin of defeat for an incumbent since 1980.
    2. Lobbying, D.C. Background: Santorum did work for Universal Health Services and other lobbying groups after he left the Senate, which he has defended as consistent with his “values.” But Mitt Romney has already started pounding him on this issue, saying Tuesday evening in Denver that “Washington will never be reformed by someone who has been compromised by the culture of Washington.”
    3. Endorsed Romney in 2008: In the last presidential cycle, Santorum endorsed Romney, now his competitor, for president. “Governor Romney is the candidate who will stand up for the conservative principles that we hold dear,” Santorum said in a statement.
    4. Backed Arlen Specter: In 2004, Santorum endorsed Specter (liberal) over Pat Toomey (conservative) in the Pennsylvania Republican senatorial primary, a nod that has since come to haunt him. Specter defeated Toomey, but would switch parties in 2009.
    5. Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit: Santorum voted for Medicare Part D, an big expansion in the size of government, which has irritated some conservatives. In fact, the senator played a key role in urging his colleagues to vote for the costly plan.
    6. Popularity in the Senate?: Some have suggested that Santorum was not very popular in the Senate, and wonder if an alleged lack of collegiality says something about how he works (or doesn’t) with people. “You were not considered among your Republican colleagues to be the most popular member of the class in the Senate, I don’t think that’s an understatement,” said journalist Carl Bernstein on MSNBC Wednesday. Santorum countered that he was respected enough to be in the Senate’s number three leadership position.
    7. Racial Sensitivities?: Santorum drew fire earlier this year when he told an audience he doesn’t want to “make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”
    8. ‘Man on Dog’: In 2003, Santorum offended many when he appeared to draw a connection between homosexuality and “man on dog” relationships. “In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be,” he said at the time.
    9. Polygamy and Same-Sex Marriage: Asked at a New Hampshire college why he opposed same-sex marriage, Santorum said, “So, everybody has the right to be happy?” he said. “So, if you’re not happy unless you’re married to five other people, is that OK?”
    10. The Google Problem: His previous comments on homosexuality and other social issues have motivated a campaign against him, including organized efforts to connect his name to a sexual neologism through Google search results. But that’s not all – the same disdain for his views has led him to be the target of multiple ‘glitter bombs,’ most recently on Tuesday.

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 03-19-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast