Thread: Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder

Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder

Another win for the good guys.

Take home points:
    When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
    Why would anybody want to take away this woman's right to protect herself and her child?
    Any guesses as to what the intruders intended to do with the hunting knife? Would a gun-free world have made her more or less safe?

Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's Okay to Shoot
    http://gma.yahoo.com/okla-woman-shoo...091106413.html

A young Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby on New Year's Eve, less than a week after the baby's father died of cancer.

Sarah McKinley says that a week earlier a man named [xxxxxx] dropped by on the day of her husband's funeral, claiming that he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello. The 18-year-old Oklahoma City area woman did not let him into her home that day.
    On New Year's Eve [xxxxxx] returned with another man, [xxxxxx], and this time was armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. The two soon began trying to break into McKinley's home.

As one of the men was going from door to door outside her home trying to gain entry, McKinley called 911 and grabbed her 12-gauge shotgun.
    "I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When [xxxxxx] kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

McKinley said that she was at home alone with her newborn that night because her husband just died of cancer on Christmas Day

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."
    What a pair of creeps to attack a mother and child still grieving the loss of her husband. Even had her son been at Grandma's, they would have still deserved what they got.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This story made me smile; I don't love death or the taking of someone's life, but this man made a decision that violated that woman's rights, and he paid the ultimate price of his stupidity, and it's good to see that the woman decided to take the defense of her life and that of her child into her own hands when it came down to the moment of truth.

For every story like this, however, there is a tragic one as well. I remember reading in Glenn Beck's (Ugh...) book "Arguing with Idiots" about three women whose home was broken into by two men and they were raped for fourteen hours straight. The worst part was, two of them called the police while hiding upstairs while one of them was being attacked, and the police did nothing to aid them. They sent a cop who knocked on the door and then left when no one answered, and then the two men found the other two girls and attacked them as well. And the only weapon the two men had was a little dinky knife. I think a gun or two would've quickly solved the situation. Anyway, the women survived the attack and then tried to sue the police, only to lose since the police have no responsibility to actually protect people. When are people going to learn that firearms are the only way to survive instead of relying on the police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

To me there is nothing more awesome, and perhaps attractive, than a woman with a gun defending her kid from some **** head. The sad part is she was unable to shoot the second guy. The real hero is her recent husband who probably bought the shotgun and showed her how to use it if she didn't already know how. +rep to that guy.

She said herself, "There is nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child." Throw a gun in the mix, and you probably have my greatest fear on earth, aside from getting mauled by a wild beast.
    Last edited by -C-; 01-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    "There's no problem with living a double life, it is the triple and quadruple lives that get you in the end. " -Yuri Orlov

"You wanna be a dead hero, or a live coward?" -John Dillinger

The yahoo story has lots of good comments. It's good to have these stories handy for when somebody is suggesting gun control.

I saw it on HuffPo. The gun grabber crowd was conspicuously absent there too.

It took 20 minutes for the cops to get there. So now this poor woman has to deal with the loss of her husband, an infant, and the burden of having killed a man... simultaneously. My heart really goes out to her.

I'm sad it came to it, but like she said, it was either him or her son, and it wasn't going to be her son.

Good link with more info/pictures:
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty_Mike View Post
    I just heard about this story from MSN.com's home page of all places. An 18 year old woman in Oklahoma shot and killed an intruder on New Years Eve when he broke into the house with a hunting knife, thinking her and her baby's lifes were in danger. I don't think we will be hearing the ACLU or Think Progress talking about this story!

"On Christmas Day, 18-year-old Sarah McKinley lost her husband to lung cancer, leaving her the sole caregiver to their three-month-old son.
    On New Year’s Eve, the Oklahoma mother proved she was anything but defenceless after she shot and killed an intruder breaking into her home.
    Two men tried breaking into Ms McKinley’s house, one armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. While on the phone with 911, the young mother shot and killed one of the intruders with a 12-gauge shotgun after he passed the threshold."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1ibK5UONL

Good for her. Although I was surprised that her being 18 and having a husband who was 58.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It took 20 minutes for the cops to get there.
    And that part of the world is so sparsely populated that the cops have every reason to be that long getting there--there's probably one of them per five square miles.

The thing these city dwellers on the coasts just don't get is that, despite Hollywood's attempts to convince you otherwise, the wild west is a very civilized place. I have traveled, and I can assure you I've seen worse. You have to be civilized here, because if you're not you're endangering yourself.

We want civility and we shall have it. There's plenty of wide open space where you can go be alone if you're not up to civility today; go there and don't bother us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPatPaki View Post
    Good for her. Although I was surprised that her being 18 and having a husband who was 58.
    All of the good Americans here should remember and be educated about the fact that until 2010, this woman could and would have been tried and convicted of Murder under Ohio Law. In Ohio there existed a "duty to retreat" in the self-defense clause, that applied even in your own home. If she did not try to escape from her own home than she could not claim the AFFIRMATIVE defense of self-defense, and therefor would have been forever been branded a Murderer. This is why I question ANY attempt of the government to legislate in ANY way against the ownership and use/carry of firearms. You can never be sure if the laws used to brand someone a "felon" were morally right or even constitutional. Good for her, but let us not rush to judgement or support the removal of rights from ANY FREE MAN OR WOMAN, former felons included. At least not until we sort out the craziness that has literally created criminals where there were none in our country.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beastly One View Post
    All of the good Americans here should remember and be educated about the fact that until 2010, this woman could and would have been tried and convicted of Murder under Ohio Law. In Ohio there existed a "duty to retreat" in the self-defense clause, that applied even in your own home. If she did not try to escape from her own home than she could not claim the AFFIRMATIVE defense of self-defense, and therefor would have been forever been branded a Murderer. This is why I question ANY attempt of the government to legislate in ANY way against the ownership and use/carry of firearms. You can never be sure if the laws used to brand someone a "felon" were morally right or even constitutional. Good for her, but let us not rush to judgement or support the removal of rights from ANY FREE MAN OR WOMAN, former felons included. At least not until we sort out the craziness that has literally created criminals where there were none in our country.
    Speaking as a former Indiana LEO, I understand how Ohio can be anti-gun and defense... thank God for the court rulings which have pushed for Castle Doctrine and Constitutional Carry. I still have to wonder what goes on in the minds of some law makers. If someone was about to inflict serious bodily injury to me or someone else while I was performing my duties as a LEO or as a private citizen without the badge, I would defend myself and others. While on that note, I do not believe that LEO's should have additional powers over citizens. If you or someone else was threatened with serious force, you have a ethical duty to protect the parties involved. The important thing is to come out of the situation alive.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Even made the news here in Spain