Thread: Criteria announced for Southern GOP presidential debate

Criteria announced for Southern GOP presidential debate

On Jan 19th in SC. Pretty important debate. Sounds like Perry, Huntsman Gingrich and Santorum will make it.

Invitations will be issued to candidates who meet the following criteria:

· A person must place in one of the top four* slots in the final results of the Iowa Caucus.

-or-

· A person must place in one of the top four* slots in the final results of the New Hampshire Primary.

-or-

· A person must receive an average of at least 7.00 percent in at least three national polls released between January 1 and January 18 that were conducted by the following organizations: ABC, AP, Bloomberg, CBS News, New York Times, CNN, FOX, Gallup, Los Angeles Times, Marist, McClatchy, NBC, Newsweek, Pew, Quinnipiac, Reuters, USA Today and Time.

-or-

· A person must receive an average of at least 7.00 percent in at least three South Carolina polls released between January 1 and January 18 that were conducted by the following organizations: ABC, AP, Bloomberg, CBS News, New York Times, CNN, FOX, Gallup, Los Angeles Times, Marist, McClatchy, NBC, Newsweek, Pew, Quinnipiac, Reuters, USA Today and Time.

*A subsequent withdrawal or suspension of a candidate's campaign will not result in the replacement by the next candidate in line.

The debate is the centerpiece of the SRLC's four day conference that is chaired by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and South Carolina Rep. Tim Scott as a featured speaker. The 90-minute debate will air live at 8 p.m. ET nationally as well as internationally.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ATM, I dont think Perry would qualify, barring a rise in the national polls (after a 5th place finish in IA)
    Beware the greedy hand of government, thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry.- Thomas Paine

Perry will get the 7% in SC with his million dollar ad-buys and some media help.

If he doesn't, they'll find some way to bend the rules for him. He'll be there, trust me.

this narrows down the field to four or five debaters?

Source says that CNN will invite Perry to Jan 19 debate.

CNN's debate qualifications seem to rule Perry out: he does not meet the network's requirement for candidates to finish in the top four slots in Iowa or New Hampshire voting results. Perry came in fifth in Iowa and sixth in New Hampshire, where he did not campaign.

He has also fallen below the required 7 percent average in both national and South Carolina polling. His Real Clear Politics polling average nationally is about 6 percent and in Palmetto State polling he gets 5 percent.

Perry spokesman Ray Sullivan told National Review Online that Perry will be participating, and CNN told Talking Points Memo on Wednesday that the candidate would be invited to participate. They did not explain the discrepancy between Perry's plans and the published qualifications.
    Even Huntsman will probably be there. He got 7% in an insider advantage poll of SC released today.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/capita...arolina-debate

Perry will be there, rules don't matter for one of the pre-chosen flavors of the month
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Sounds like Perry, Huntsman Gingrich and Santorum will make it.
    If only they couldn't make it for some reason then it would be between Paul and Romney. We can pray they all get sick or something. Paul needs time to speak, he won't get it with the circus crew there.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A crowded field isn't bad in SC. It keeps the margins close, and gives us an opportunity to make our vote look stronger.

So will he be in both sc debates?

Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    So will he be in both sc debates?
    yes, the other SC debate is hosted by FOX. I don't remember the exact requirements they had, but I remember they were really low and Perry easily qualified.

I have a feeling this Jan 19th debate coming up is when ron drops his "I have the most military donations TRUMP CARD". WATCH- I am calling it, first on the forums.

Perry doesnt qualify, but he is being invited anyway.

I don't have a problem with Perry being in the debate. I know how we felt when we were excluded from the Fox News debate, so I'm never going to advocate someone being excluded.

Anyways, in nearly all likelihood, this is Perry's last hurrah, let him have his final debate appearances.

Can you imagine, even in your wildest dreams, any media outlet going to these lengths to include Ron Paul if he was in Perry's position at this point. It actually made me laugh and I don't usually see the humor in such things. Just go ahead and say you wanted him in the debate. Besides he hardly got any time in the last one. It doesnt really bother me that he's in the debate it's just so transparent that they are trying to justify it.

Imo, he is just in now because he got the word that it was not time for him to drop out yet.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    Thomas Paine

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.