Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platinum

Platinum

This a big buy opportunity for Platinum.

If I am correct, we are close...but not quite...at a cyclical bottom for PM's. This could lead to roughly 1200$ platinum, 22$ silver...1400$ gold. All of these represent great buying opportunities.

So long as platinum is below gold, platinum and silver should be the focal points of accumulation.

I'm fairly comfortable with a call for 2200$ platinum 6 months from now.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 01-01-2012 at 03:11 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jim Rogers saying 1200-1300$ gold he's a major buyer, that is quite telling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLI6PTSAc7Y

I prefer gold because I know the central banks are "behind" it. Same with silver. Has platinum ever been used as money?
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

I hear ya.

Just giving a different perspective. Is platinum riskier than gold in my view? Yes. Is there more upside potential? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post
    I prefer gold because I know the central banks are "behind" it. Same with silver. Has platinum ever been used as money?

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post
    In the Firefly universe.

give me the details on platinums industrial numbers - % used for investment vs industrial
    I know that platinum is used alot in automobile catalytic converters and that South Africa is the largest producer.
    Explain why platinum dropped so much in 2008 especially in comparison to gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    I'm fairly comfortable with a call for 2200$ platinum 6 months from now.
    Do you have any documented predictions so that we can evaluate your track record.

I'll buy more silver as it continues to drop. Will also buy more gold if it keeps dropping.

This always happens during an election year in which they like the incumbent. The dollar miraculously strengthens. Gas and food prices go down, the stock market goes up.

Of-course the Euro being on the verge of collapse cant hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ruffneck View Post
    give me the details on platinums industrial numbers - % used for investment vs industrial
    I know that platinum is used alot in automobile catalytic converters and that South Africa is the largest producer.
    Explain why platinum dropped so much in 2008 especially in comparison to gold?

The web site that came from said 80% of industrial use is for cats. If I had to guess, I'd say that the price drop in 2008 came from plummeting auto sales.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In deflationary scenarios such as late 2007 and 2008, speculations are the among the first liquidated assets. Because of its industrial use as a % of total demand, platinum has a higher level of speculation in it's market, than gold.

Platinum also tends to carry a premium in relation to gold when priced against each other. This has been a trend for a while. I think that trend will re-emerge and perhaps do so with abrupt force (I.e gold goes up, platinum goes up A LOT and overtakes the price of gold).

Total supply of platinum is MUCH lower than gold and it's controlled by 2 nations (Russia and South Africa equal 90% of all global production).

Even if industrial demand drops off or has a short term crash...the amount of available platinum and it's year in year out supply are so low...that buying the low times on platinum is the smart thing to do - most notably if your investment timeframe is medium to longerm.

This is a cyclically low time for platinum. Pulling the trigger on a physical platinum position at this point is a GO in my books - it may go down a bit further...either way it's currently in an accumulation zone to me. Ditto for silver. Silver may be easier if you are paycheck to paycheck...but if you have some lumps of cash...half platinum half silver is a good idea at this point from my perspective.

The flight to hard assets is on. Everywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Do you have any documented predictions so that we can evaluate your track record.

I'll buy more silver as it continues to drop. Will also buy more gold if it keeps dropping.

This always happens during an election year in which they like the incumbent. The dollar miraculously strengthens. Gas and food prices go down, the stock market goes up.

Last edited by Seraphim; 01-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Just what I post here and the results of my own actions.

Take it or leave it, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post

I have a few grams of plat. For good messure...wish i had the cash flow of years past i would be buying all pms availabe
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Platinum is going to be a strong anti inflation investment going forward. Why does gold have the historical context and platinum doesn't? Refining of platinum came in the 1800s, before that miners were annoyed by the presence of platinum. Platinum is 30x more rare than gold, it puts the word precious into precious metals. When we do see a gold bull mania run that many are waiting for when world currencies do get devalued. Gold will take off then followed by silver, investors on the sidelines and many who missed the run, will see a low price on platinum, scratch their heads and say, why can't platinum be a store of value, why can't we measure it's rarity to the dollar, why is it 30x more rare but cheaper than gold!

I wish I could go back to 2000 when I was 12 years old starting my first paper route.

Had I put half the money I made from 12-16 years old into silver...plus half I made at the sports store between 16-18. I'd have my half of my house paid off. I'm not even 24 years old yet.

That's the way I see the world now. Get a head start by informing yourself and working hard, and 10 years later you could be in a spot you thought only dreams were made of.

I was about 20 when I did that calculation (savings potential with PM's) and have not looked back. You need to make your own opportunity. Well planned savings is the key to that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    I have a few grams of plat. For good messure...wish i had the cash flow of years past i would be buying all pms availabe
    Last edited by Seraphim; 01-02-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandrsn21 View Post
    Platinum is going to be a strong anti inflation investment going forward. Why does gold have the historical context and platinum doesn't? Refining of platinum came in the 1800s, before that miners were annoyed by the presence of platinum. Platinum is 30x more rare than gold, it puts the word precious into precious metals. When we do see a gold bull mania run that many are waiting for when world currencies do get devalued. Gold will take off then followed by silver, investors on the sidelines and many who missed the run, will see a low price on platinum, scratch their heads and say, why can't platinum be a store of value, why can't we measure it's rarity to the dollar, why is it 30x more rare but cheaper than gold!
    There are lots of things more rare than gold. It doesn't mean they are/will be a currency. Platinum very well could soar as high or higher than gold, we will have to see. I don't think its a bad investment at all though.
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

Platinum is a much better buy than gold or silver right now. So is palladium, but not as much.
    Also, rhodium is down to around 1200. it's unreal. I have recently invested in Anooraq Resources (ANO).
    If anyone wants to look into that, a pure platinum miner with upwards of 100 million ounces in the ground,
    South African, and trading at a severe (hopefully temporary) discount, see you at the Yahoo Finance message
    board for it, where I am also Snowball.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

http://charts.kitco.com/KitcoCharts/...iCurrency=true

There's another chart. Huge gains so far this year since I posted this.

Most usage for platinum goes for catalytic converters in cars, when the world economy starts going bad the demand for autos will fall, less usage for platinum. Golds industrial demand is only 10-15 %, for silver around 50 % but in both instances the demand is inelastic to price. Also the industrial demand for both g&s is spread out between different industries, electronics, healthcare, food, energy, so even if prices rise 200-300 % the industrial demand will still be there.

With platinum almost all industrial usage goes for one industry. Also platinum has an substitution which is palladium that trades almost 1000 $ lower. Platinum will probably rise but i think you will see larger gains in g & s because investment demand for starter has a larger base and the industrial demand is not cyclical or price sensitive as with platinum.

The only thing that would give a boost to platinum is the obvious possibility of shortages if Russia decides to stop exporting platinum if an all out war broke out or is South Africa nationalized its mines. But if an all out war broke auto sales would probably plummet as well. Btw the rise in platinum the past two days is because of this: http://www.miningweekly.com/article/...ead-2012-02-16

All good points, however, automotive demand is exploding in BRIC nations. The west could see demand drop a lot and it won't matter to long term fundementals.

Wealth is moving east and car demand is a highly correlated with wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzabuza View Post
    Most usage for platinum goes for catalytic converters in cars, when the world economy starts going bad the demand for autos will fall, less usage for platinum. Golds industrial demand is only 10-15 %, for silver around 50 % but in both instances the demand is inelastic to price. Also the industrial demand for both g&s is spread out between different industries, electronics, healthcare, food, energy, so even if prices rise 200-300 % the industrial demand will still be there.

With platinum almost all industrial usage goes for one industry. Also platinum has an substitution which is palladium that trades almost 1000 $ lower. Platinum will probably rise but i think you will see larger gains in g & s because investment demand for starter has a larger base and the industrial demand is not cyclical or price sensitive as with platinum.

The only thing that would give a boost to platinum is the obvious possibility of shortages if Russia decides to stop exporting platinum if an all out war broke out or is South Africa nationalized its mines. But if an all out war broke auto sales would probably plummet as well. Btw the rise in platinum the past two days is because of this: http://www.miningweekly.com/article/...ead-2012-02-16

That is true, but look at it this way, if US, Europe goes into a depression, if oil goes to 200 $ and gas goes up all over the world, that will have an impact on new auto demand all over the world. Auto sales won't double in the BRIC countries every second year. Higher gas prices will also lead to more efficient engines thus lowering the pollutant which would also mean less needed platinum per catalyst. Don't get me wrong, platinum will for sure rise, mostly because of inflation me believes, but how i see it, if you invest in platinum you are making one way bet --> auto industry +inflation, with silver ----> 10+ different industries +investment + inflation and gold, well its a no brainer with gold =p

Also for the poster that said Jim is buying gold at 1200 $, he said he bought gold and silver some weeks ago. Which i take it he bought gold around 1650 and silver around 30 $. Which means the bottom is in and the new floor is 1600-1650 bucks

I'm a silver fanboy at the moment (can't afford gold), but best of luck to you folks buying platinum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Ohhh a couple more days and the bull flag formation breaks for silver.. Mmmmmm 65 $ silver this year! =)

I noticed platinum is cheaper than gold lately, very weird.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has been like that for the most part of the last 200 years =)

That is true, but look at it this way, if US, Europe goes into a depression, if oil goes to 200 $ and gas goes up all over the world, that will have an impact on new auto demand all over the world. Auto sales won't double in the BRIC countries every second year. Higher gas prices will also lead to more efficient engines thus lowering the pollutant which would also mean less needed platinum per catalyst. Don't get me wrong, platinum will for sure rise, mostly because of inflation me believes, but how i see it, if you invest in platinum you are making one way bet --> auto industry +inflation, with silver ----> 10+ different industries +investment + inflation and gold, well its a no brainer with gold =p

Also for the poster that said Jim is buying gold at 1200 $, he said he bought gold and silver some weeks ago. Which i take it he bought gold around 1650 and silver around 30 $. Which means the bottom is in and the new floor is 1600-1650 bucks
    You could just diversify a little and hold some dividend paying oil companies along with platinum and silver.

BP estimates global car ownership will rise 60% by 2030 (which doesn't include new car sales to existing owners) and even with gains in efficiency, annual energy demand will rise 40%.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/02/...ndent-by-2030/
    Last edited by enoch150; 02-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

As am I. I am not buying platinum as a function of not having the income. Silver all the way for me.

If I had more money, platinum would be #2 for the PM's for me, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I'm a silver fanboy at the moment (can't afford gold), but best of luck to you folks buying platinum!

That price increases of gas will be inflation (currency debasement) driven. Denominated in gold, silver - the price of gas won't go up much, if at all. Supply shocks etc could happen, but these are short term.

A new currency is coming...the REAL cost of gasoline may spike in the short run, but overall will not.

Arklatex

Perhaps the masses are not allowed to know the true use of precious metals.

Priests, Kings, and noblemen of all cultures wore the noble metal and crystal gemstones, most I'm sure did so for vanity; but even today in India it is still taught in their medical schools that your first line of defense from disease is not your integument (skin) but the 7th outer layer of your electromagnetic field (AUra)

Metaphysically speaking, Gold and Platinum have unusual properties, as does Diamond and even Quartzes which are very common. Research piezoelectricity. You can make a simple experiment right now if you have two pieces of quartz and go into a dark room, rub them together and they will glow. Quartz contains the heartbeat of the earth, astronauts have found this out first hand the further your body is removed from you mother earth, the more out of sync your body glands and hormones secretions become. Research Schumann resonances - this is not folklore i'm speaking here.

Ever heard of quartz crystal in a watch? How about in a computer? Quartz is Silicon Dioxide.

Again, platinum will surely rise, but as stated before, you are betting on 1 industrial sector that maybe will grow 60 % in 18 years?
    http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...ales&year=2002

For silver the investment demand is growing at 16 % rate a year and industrial demand some 4 % a year. Also, platinum is only 14 % from its all time nominal high, silver is priced at the same level as in 1980. In other words there have been no gains in silver for the past 30 years at the same time platinum has taken out its peak from 1980 and has gained almost 1300 $ since then. In the last pm bull run platinum went from 100 to 700 $, silver went from 4 to 50$.
    I mean it looks like a no brainer to me.

If history repeats it self and platinum runs as much as it did in the last bull run, then the top for platinum would be around 3200 $. But lets say it makes doubles the gain this time and it goes to 6400 $. If we are conservative and take a 1:1 ratio for P / G gold would also then be around 6400. If gold is 6400 and take a conservative ratio of 1:30 G / S then silver would be around 200 $.

So if you invest today 1000 $ in platinum at the end of the bull run you might have a gain of 365% if you invest the same amount in silver today you could have a 720 % return.

Again looks like a no brainer but all pm hoarding is good hoarding so i wish you all the best in investing in the shiny white metal! =)
    Last edited by Guzabuza; 02-23-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast