Thread: Romney thorws Jab at Ron Paul over stance on Iran

Romney thorws Jab at Ron Paul over stance on Iran

http://www.boston.com/Boston/politic...GGL/index.html

MUSCATINE, Iowa – Mitt Romney, beginning a final push in this crucial first-caucus state, this morning took a swipe at Representative Ron Paul, who has been gaining momentum among Iowa voters.

“One of the people running for president thinks it’s OK for Iran to have a nuclear weapon,” Romney told voters here at Elly’s Tea and Coffee Shop, where a line stretched to the door to see him. “I don’t, I don’t trust ayatollahs ... I don’t trust those who back Hamas and Hezbollah.”

In a debate two weeks ago, Paul said that when it comes to Iran, “the greatest danger is overreacting.”

Romney did not mention Paul by name, but the implication was clear. It was one of the first criticisms Romney has directed at Paul. Instead Romney has focused more on former House speaker Newt Gingrich or, before his precipitous fall in the polls, Texas Governor Rick Perry.

Romney’s critique of Paul this morning, which came in response to a voter question, could indicate a shift in strategy for the former Massachusetts governor’s campaign.

He is the latest candidate to take Paul to task over his hands-off approach to either foreign policy or social issues. Perry and Representative Michele Bachmann have questioned Paul’s commitment to social conservatives and denounced racist comments linked to one of his publications two decades ago, and Gingrich yesterday called Paul’s views extremist and said he would not vote for him if he wins the GOP nomination.

Paul has been leading in some of the recent polls of Iowa voters.

Romney this morning also said he would deal with North Korea both by engaging with the country directly and going through China, which is a major trading partner with North Korea but also a country Romney has criticized for its currency practices. North Korea is in the middle of a transition after the death of leader Kim Jong Il.

“China hopefully wants to see stability at this point,” Romney said. “We would like to see stability. We don’t want to see Kim Jong Un do something provocative to try and strengthen his position in his own country with his own military. This is a time for stability. We want our Chinese trading partners to exercise their power on encouraging North Korea to maintain restraint.”

Representative Aaron Schock, who is from neighboring Illinois, introduced Romney this morning with swipes at President Obama’s campaign organization.

“Being in Iowa, you know what it means to be a Chicago politician. You know what kind of races Chicago politicians run,” Schock said. “Well, David Axelrod and Robert Gibbs’ first race is not President Obama’s race. They’ve been running statewide races in Illinois for decades. And I would submit to you this is going to be one of the most nasty presidential campaigns you’ve seen.”

Schock presented Romney as the most electable in the Republican field.

“Give me the governor of Massachusetts – a very, ah, I would say swing state. Right governor?” he said.

“It rarely swings our way,” Romney called out.

Ann Romney, taking the microphone next, was taken with Schock – a 29-year-old congressman who has appeared on the cover of Men’s Health with an unbuttoned shirt displaying his toned abdominal muscles.

“Now I know why Aaron got elected,” she said. “He actually could be one of my sons. We’re just pretending that he is. He’s really cute. Don’t you girls get any ideas out there.”

Romney seemed to be in a mood to ham it up with voters this morning.

“Good morning, sweetie,” Ann Romney called from behind him as her husband was shaking hands.

“I hope that’s my wife,” Mitt Romney replied.

“As a wife and a mother of three boys,” one woman began before asking a question.

“You’ve only got two more to go, you can catch up with us,” Romney said. Noticing she was pregnant, he added, “You’ve got one coming on!”

“You’ve got a little girl coming? Finally,” Romney said before the crowd. “We tried. We tried five times for a little girl.”

When an aide later signaled that it was time to wrap up, Romney said, “I’m told I have to let you go. You know, I have to go I guess.”

Romney was told he had to do a radio interview.

“Oh, well, they can wait,” he said. “Just kidding, just kidding.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like Ron says I don't want anyone to have nukes. But where did Ron ever say that the prospect of a nuclear Iran is ok with him? I'm fairly sure he's said that he wouldn't see them as an imminent threat even if they did have them (a la look who else has nukes - china russia pakistan) but I don't remember him phrasing anything like he's "OK" with Iran having a nuke.

Anyway, just more fear-mongering and now from Romney.

Personally I fear a non-nuclear Iran more than a nuclear one, because a non-nuclear Iran means we're 10 times more likely to attack them. And dead Americans is more frightening to me than live ones.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6