Thread: Iowan religious conservatives asked Michele Bachmann to quit

Iowan religious conservatives asked Michele Bachmann to quit

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70713.html

DES MOINES – Iowa evangelical leader Bob Vander Plaats called Michele Bachmann and urged her to drop out of the race and endorse Rick Santorum, a source with knowledge of the conversation told POLITICO Tuesday.

The phone call took place Saturday, three days before Vander Plaats announced he – but not his organization, the Family Leader – was backing Santorum.

Bachmann declined, the source said, noting to Vander Plaats that she has consistently polled ahead of Santorum in the race and still does.

Vander Plaats did not return repeated phone and text messages about the conversation Tuesday.

Evangelical, social conservatives have splintered between Santorum, Bachmann and Rick Perry in this year’s Iowa race. That dilution has left their leaders worried about the diminished influence they’ll have on picking the caucus winner, and ultimately, the Republican nominee.

Chuck Hurley, the president of the Iowa Family Policy Center who endorsed Santorum alongside Vander Plaats, said the Christian conservative movement would be better off if coalescing around a single candidate.

“It just makes a lot of sense to me,” he said. “You need a team to run a country. So this isn’t about one person, this isn’t just about Rick Santorum.”

Though two representatives of Santorum’s campaign attended the event at an Urbandale hotel, Vander Plaats said that he gave no advance notice of the endorsement ahead of his press conference here Tuesday morning.

“We did not inform any of the candidates before this because of coordination issues between [501]c4s and campaigns and stuff,” Vander Plaats said at the event.

Hurley said then that he had not asked any candidate to drop out of the race.

“I refuse to take a swing at somebody and diminish what they think is their God-ordained role. I refuse to do that,” he said. “What I would say instead of quote, drop-out, unquote, is why can’t the top three or so pro-family candidates come together and figure out who has the talent for president, who has the talent for other roles in the federal government, whether it’s attorney general, secretary of state, vice president, Health and Human Services secretary, and those people could quickly, with the 10-10-10 situation [in the polls], could quickly vaunt into first place, win the Iowa caucus and win the nomination.”

Perry spokesman Ray Sullivan said Perry spoke with Vander Plaats on Friday, but dropping out and backing Santorum “absolutely did not come up.”

Bachmann’s campaign declined to comment on the conversation but noted that she has been endorsed by a long list of evangelical leaders in the state.

Among them are Pastors Matt Floyd, Bill Tvedt and Brad Cranston and faith leader Tamara Scott, whom the campaign released a statement of support from following the Family Leader’s announcement that it would stay neutral earlier Tuesday.

“The defense of marriage has been the highest priority of Bob Vander Plaats and The Family Leader, and Michele Bachmann has been a bold leader at both the state level and in Washington, D.C. She has met every criterion that the Family Leader has established,” the statement read. “Iowans of faith know that Michele Bachmann, more than any other candidate in the race, can be counted on to defend and encourage the traditional, Christian values that made our country the greatest nation on Earth. She remains completely deserving of the Family Leader’s full endorsement.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wow, this must of sent the IRS prosecutor wackozoid into a panic attack... followed by a migraine
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Why does Bachmann have to get out, why not Santorum? why not Gingrich?

As for us, we want as many as possible.

By all means, stay in as long as possible. We need the evangelical vote split.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeH View Post
    By all means, stay in as long as possible. We need the evangelical vote split.
    Divide and conquer

Bachmann is polling better than Santorum. So the guy who asked her to quit is even dumber than Bachamann. No wonder he ruled out Paul early.

“I refuse to take a swing at somebody and diminish what they think is their God-ordained role. I refuse to do that,” he said.
    I refuse to vote for someone that thinks that God is ordaining any government on Earth other than the Church that Jesus Christ built. I may have been born in America and support Ron Paul for president of the USA, but I am first and foremost a Christian and will always put God way ahead of any country.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The arrogance of that guy is amazing. He thinks he can call up a presidential candidate and get them to drop out so a candidate that is polling worse can do better? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Bachmann is polling better than Santorum. So the guy who asked her to quit is even dumber than Bachamann. No wonder he ruled out Paul early.
    That's true, but I am still glad he asked her to drop out, that had to really piss her off.

Maybe Bachman willl be so pissed about this, she'll train her fire on Santorum out of spite. I think this guy did us an unintentional favor by backing Santorum and asking Bachman to quit.

Sounds pretty sexist to me. Why else would they ask the woman who is polling better (and who is just as much of a raging social conservative) to drop out and endorse the man, who has been to every county and polling close to nada?

It's easy to figure out why he asked her to drop out and not Santorum.

Quote Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
    Sounds pretty sexist to me. Why else would they ask the woman who is polling better (and who is just as much of a raging social conservative) to drop out and endorse the man, who has been to every county and polling close to nada?
    Beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by redmod79 View Post
    It's easy to figure out why he asked her to drop out and not Santorum.
    maybe it's because santorum hates gays more.

He hates gays AND Muslims.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeH View Post
    He hates gays AND Muslims.
    He did not say S hated anyone.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    He did not say S hated anyone.
    Oh come on, I wasn't directly quoting him.

Man....This Vander Putz and the rest of them evangelical hypocrites have to be the worst thing in this election so far, at least pertaining to IA. Obviously, their brand and the policies/beliefs of their church matter more than the mess that the country is in right now, so him and his other butt buddy mentioned here, are just proving how selfish they are. Whether Bachmann is fit or unfit to be President, who are they to go ask her to drop out and hump their candidate's leg? Just really selfish and insulting, and just proves how desperate they are to try to stop Ron as well; im sure that has a lot to do with it, due to the whole 10/10/10 comment. Lol does he automatically think that every single supporter in each of those percentiles are just gonna all back Sanitarium?

It will be hilarious if Bachmann loses to Santorum in the caucus, with Iowa being her home state. It will also be the worst showing ever in the caucus for someone that won the Ames straw poll, and henceforth whenever someone wins the Ames Straw Poll people will say "well what about Michele Bachmann? She came in first and did terrible in the caucus." She will be last place among those that competed in Iowa, which she deserves after kissing up to Ron Paul, then calling herself the only consistent conservative in the race and trashing him left and right.

I'm not so sure that's true. Her husband makes it his job to eradicate them, and she's said some pretty hateful things about them.

WOW First TEA Party asked her to give up now church....
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Are there any substancial differences betweeen bachmann and santorum?

I can't really think of any. They both cater to the Israel obsessing, gay and muslim haters.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bachmann 10%
    Santorum 10%

in PPP poll here http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...IA_1218925.pdf

Santorum has some momentum and is currently ahead of Bachmann on intrade.com, I think it a toss up between them.

Quote Originally Posted by InTradePro View Post
    Bachmann 10%
    Santorum 10%

in PPP poll here http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...IA_1218925.pdf

Santorum has some momentum and is currently ahead of Bachmann on intrade.com, I think it a toss up between them.
    RCP average for Iowa: 9.0 Bachmann 6.0 Santorum
    And she's polling double Santorum nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    Why does Bachmann have to get out, why not Santorum? why not Gingrich?

As for us, we want as many as possible.
    She's a woman. No room for that in "Family" politics. Plus her husband is effeminate and even if they try to convert gays, she might not be sufficiently vocally anti-gay for a "family" organization.