Thread: J. R. R. Tolkien's Works

J. R. R. Tolkien's Works

--
    Last edited by Jtorsella; 05-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    tolkien sucks! but to each their own, carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Care to elaborate?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    the hobbit was ok, but the other works were boring, long winded and grueling to persevere through.

This thread may need to be moved to the religion thread! I know there are a lot of Tolkienites who know more about Middle Earth lore than many Christians know about what is in the Bible!
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

--
    Last edited by Jtorsella; 05-18-2015 at 09:15 AM.

the hobbit was ok, but the other works were boring, long winded and grueling to persevere through.
    - someone once told me the same thing about "Man, Economy, State".

At least you gave it a try!

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Watching the movies really helps you become motivated enough to read the books, though I read the books first.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtorsella View Post
    I'd disagree with you but it's all about preference.
    true enough. and it wasn't a lack of wanting to read big long books; i read tad william's first fantasy trilogy about the same time and really enjoyed it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory,_Sorrow,_and_Thorn

I love Tolkien, but see this thread as a distraction from working to WIN!
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Is it worth my while to read the Histories of Middle Earth?
    I've heard some other Tolkien fans say no. They are kind of messy, but some parts are better than others.

I read FOTR in elementary school... Well most of it. I didn't know it was part of a three book series so with 20 pages to go I realized they were never going to make it to mordor and quit. Thankfully, I picked them back up a couple of years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Thankfully, I picked them back up a couple of years later.
    Great username!

Oh and I completely forgot -- Should I read unfinished tales?

I've never read any Tolkien, but I really want to. I just don't know which book to start with...he wrote so many!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

If you enjoy them.
    I read (in order)
    The Hobbit.
    The trilogy
    Silmarillion
    A long time ago. Haven't read the others.
    I did enjoy the movies though.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I own Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Unfinished Tales. I don't plan on reading Histories though.

I read the first two books. I don't like his anti-technology environmental message. I found it hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Napolitanic Wars View Post
    I read the first two books. I don't like his anti-technology environmental message. I found it hypocritical.
    Hmm,
    I never really got that from it. But then I always thought the Industrial Revolution was a mistake,, so maybe I didn't notice.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Hmm,
    I never really got that from it.
    In the beginning he talks about Hobbits and how they are no fans of "technology" and Hobbits are the idealized versions of his own British life. Unfortunately Tolkien didn't understand that the Hobbits are far more advanced in terms of technology than the other races (except Elves). They have big furnished houses with big fireplaces. They smoke pipeweed and even talk about gold paint for Bilbo's book!

Quote Originally Posted by Napolitanic Wars View Post
    In the beginning he talks about Hobbits and how they are no fans of "technology" and Hobbits are the idealized versions of his own British life. Unfortunately Tolkien didn't understand that the Hobbits are far more advanced in terms of technology than the other races (except Elves). They have big furnished houses with big fireplaces. They smoke pipeweed and even talk about gold paint for Bilbo's book!
    He's saying they don't like machinery. They like simple life. That's why they don't like adventures. Nothing wrong with personal preferences. I think there are a lot of pro-capitalist things in the Tolkien world, between the Hobbits and Dwarves.

There will be a trailer released at 10 ET for the new movie: The Hobbit. This will be the first edited video from the movie. It is currently in filming.

I was glad that Tom Bombadil got editted out of the movies....
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I was glad that Tom Bombadil got editted out of the movies....
    Ehh. Tom Bombadil was perfect for the books as he helped the first have some lightness. The first has an incredible amount of songs compared to the other two and is far less serious.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump for new Trailer.