Thread: how does one predict a bank run?

Question how does one predict a bank run?

Just curious if any of our historians can give some indicators that will help me predict a bank run. I use a credit union instead of a big bank, but ya never know. Thnx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's very, very difficult. A big reason why the particularly fascist fractional reserve banks try (and do) control the government - so they can lock down the sheeple and tell them to get the $#@! off their property when they want their non existent digitial money.

If a bank run happens, it will probably be over by the time you hear about it. They tend to be pretty quick (though we haven't had anything recent enough to remember and consider what effect things like the internet and electronic transactions would have on one).

When you hear Mr Potter is giving 50 cents on the dollar

On a more serious note, we're a pretty informed group here. I'd imagine we'd be one of the first to know.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

if you are able to see total deposits across a specific bank / banking sector (credit union or big bank) you may be able to see it there... it depends on how fast it happens.

greece is going through a slow bank run type event now:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/greek-...-banks-october

i do not expect a quick bank run to occur, i suspect a slow one like in greece if one does occur.
    the fed will see this and try to stop it though.

total despair = big bank run

I'm with a big bank (not BoA); should I bother switching to a credit union? Assuming things get a little creepy crawly would it do any good to stash cash in a safe at home? I'm under the impression that if it does come to that point the cash would have little value. I understand too that there could be a middle ground and just getting the cash out of the banks should suffice as well.

Best is to do it now and be first ! :P
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If a light was shined onto the books of every major bank in the US and Europe there would be world wide bank runs faster than you could say Ben Bernanke.

The sound that would follow would be the most deafening roar the world has ever heard, the sound of every printing press on earth screeching and spewing ink as they lumbered off into ludicrous speed, an the clank of heavy steel gold vault doors slam shut around the globe and panic stricken traders let loose blood curdling screams while furiously clicking their sell buttons.

By the time you hear this noise its already to late, your not getting your money.

Quote Originally Posted by seraphson View Post
    I'm with a big bank (not BoA); should I bother switching to a credit union? Assuming things get a little creepy crawly would it do any good to stash cash in a safe at home? I'm under the impression that if it does come to that point the cash would have little value. I understand too that there could be a middle ground and just getting the cash out of the banks should suffice as well.
    If you are a customer of a big bank, you are part of the problem.

I'm with a big bank
    pull all of your money out and put it in a local credit union.
    big banks hate when people do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly. View Post
    pull all of your money out and put it in a local credit union.
    big banks hate when people do this.
    I'm pleased with my credit union. Helluva lot better than my former bank (BoA). If folks here are in Phoenix, I officially endorse Desert Schools credit union.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Thanks for your answers, everyone. I was just hoping for some sort of "indicator" to watch for. I guess it doesn't exist.

IMO, you should switch to a credit union. You'll get better service and more benefits than you'll get from BoA. Credit Unions are also usually local (mine is), so you don't get $#@!ty service that tends to come with big banks. My CU gave me a debit and credit card (Visa) with very reasonable interest rates too. I can check my account balances (savings and checking) almost 24/7 with no fees. Another cool thing is that they paste a copy of canceled checks on the checking section of my account. Also, every time I've been in to talk to a teller, the lines were almost non-existent.

FYI, you can have a out of state credit union and walk into any credit union with a "shared services" logo (below) and make most transactions as if you were in your own bank. (so long as your credit union is part of the shared services group)
    there may be a few restrictions on withdraw limits, but i get around that by getting a cash advance on my debt card.

Easiest way to predict a bank run is to stand outside of a bank and if you see people running toward the bank with empty bags for their money...then that is a good indicator that a bank run is about to happen.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.