Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Exercised My Rights and Spent The Night In Jail

I Exercised My Rights and Spent The Night In Jail

So there was a drunk driving checkpoint that I came up to last night. The cop stopped me and motioned for me to roll down my window. I did. He stuck the breathalizer in my face and said blow. I asked the cop if I was being detained. He gave me a weird look and said it was a checkpoint.

"Please blow, sir."

Me: "Do you have probable cause?"

Cop: "This is just a checkpoint."

Me: "If you don't have probable cause, and I'm not being detained, may I go?"

Cop: "I'm not going to ask you again, son."

I then exercised my right to remain silent and just smiled at him. He asked me to get out of the car, so I did. He asked me to put my hands on the hood of my car, so I did. Then I went to jail.

I overheard a couple of the cops asking each other if checkpoints were illegal. One said he didn't know, but "that guy seems like he knows something we don't." The last I heard of their conversation was them wondering if I was a lawyer.

At that point I fully assumed I was going to be let go, but they kept me overnight. The cell was so crowded that even while sitting down hugging your knees, at least three people were touching you.

Wasn't a very pleasant experience, but I thought i'd share my experience with you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Weird, they didn't try to do a blood test? You might could sue for unlawful detainment.

Congrats. In a way its a proud moment.
    America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Bummer, but + rep for doing the right thing.

What was the charge?

Wow, grats man. It is one thing to speak of liberty and demanding your rights online, totally different to actually live it. Especially when it is just you, without your online supporters to back you. That took some serious balls. Thank you for standing up, and I hope i have your courage if ever confronted with a situation similar to yours.

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

What was the charge?
    Best of my recollection is that here in NC you lose your license for 1 yr if you refuse.

What was the charge?
    They didn't charge me with anything, strangely.

And nope, no blood test.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post

And nope, no blood test.
    They should never be able to arrest someone without charges. That is harassment bull$#@!!
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by olehounddog View Post
    Best of my recollection is that here in NC you lose your license for 1 yr if you refuse.
    Is that not only with probable cause, though?
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Kidnapping for ransom. File a civil suit against the officers.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

And nope, no blood test.
    That is wonderful news.

Quote Originally Posted by silk30 View Post
    Wow, grats man. It is one thing to speak of liberty and demanding your rights online, totally different to actually live it. Especially when it is just you, without your online supporters to back you. That took some serious balls. Thank you for standing up, and I hope i have your courage if ever confronted with a situation similar to yours.
    I gotta tell you, I was scared. Terrified. Something about that uniform is terribly intimidating. Right when I stopped talking, my mind started racing wondering if I had done the right thing. I could have just blown and gone on and slept in my warm bed. But I didn't. My fiance didn't understand my reasoning and she was a bit mad because I caused her to worry, but she's better now that I'm out.

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Is that not only with probable cause, though?
    Don't know, but I gonna find out.

Quote Originally Posted by olehounddog View Post
    Oh wow. I didn't even think about something like that. I don't know if we have the same law or not but thankfully I didn't lose mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post
    Kidnapping for ransom. File a civil suit against the officers.

Rev9
    Call a lawyer on Monday or the ACLU.
    Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I just called the sheriff's office and they said they have no record of my arrest, nor my night in jail. I told them I was definitely arrested, and I was definitely in jail, and the woman said i'd just have to call back on Monday. I asked her why I'm not in the system and she said she didn't know and that i'd just have to call back Monday.

Wtf?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you by chance get the arresting officer's name and/or badge number?

I just called the sheriff's office and they said they have no record of my arrest, nor my night in jail. I told them I was definitely arrested, and I was definitely in jail, and the woman said i'd just have to call back on Monday. I asked her why I'm not in the system and she said she didn't know and that i'd just have to call back Monday.

Wtf?
    That is most likely a good thing - later in life, when asked, you can say "no I've never been arrested." However, you do have at least one witness to your detention, and I assume you personal possessions were inventoried and returned? Any further proof of your confinement against your will is useful.

ACLU is probably the best course - you played it about perfect as far as I can tell. If the ACLU wants to mount a challenge to checkpoints, this should be the prefect case.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

was there a sign that warned of a checkpoint and provided an alternate route? because my friend in pre-law said that thats the only constitutional way for them to have a drunk driving checkpoint. that way you have warning and an opportunity to take a different route? not saying i agree but thats the legal standpoint

Unfortunately you are going to have to take that to the supreme court and get them to reverse themselves...
    The Michigan Supreme Court had found sobriety roadblocks to be a violation of the Fourth Amendment. However, by a 6-3 decision in Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz (1990), the United States Supreme Court found properly conducted sobriety checkpoints to be constitutional. While acknowledging that such checkpoints infringed on a constitutional right, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued the state interest in reducing drunk driving outweighed this minor infringement.
    Last edited by klamath; 12-10-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Wtf?
    Sounds like that 85 yo lady who was strip-searched: vee haf NO rekords, unt if NO rekords, DEED NOT Happen.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

Wtf?
    Do not let this go. Hold them accountable.

+rep
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

good for you for exercising civil disobedience toward an unjust and unconstitutional law . however , you have no legal recourse and possibly could even end up with a DUI (depending on your states DUI laws) . in most states refusal is considered a DUI .

Thanks supreme court !
    You are the Universe experiencing itself

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Michigan Supreme Court had found sobriety roadblocks to be a violation of the Fourth Amendment. However, by a 6-3 decision in Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz (1990), the United States Supreme Court found properly conducted sobriety checkpoints to be constitutional. While acknowledging that such checkpoints infringed on a constitutional right, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued the state interest in reducing drunk driving outweighed this minor infringement.
    Is it just me, or isn't this a pure contradiction?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

So there was a drunk driving checkpoint that I came up to last night. The cop stopped me and motioned for me to roll down my window. I did. He stuck the breathalizer in my face and said blow. I asked the cop if I was being detained. He gave me a weird look and said it was a checkpoint.

"Please blow, sir."

Me: "Do you have probable cause?"

Cop: "This is just a checkpoint."

Me: "If you don't have probable cause, and I'm not being detained, may I go?"

Cop: "I'm not going to ask you again, son."

I then exercised my right to remain silent and just smiled at him. He asked me to get out of the car, so I did. He asked me to put my hands on the hood of my car, so I did. Then I went to jail.

I overheard a couple of the cops asking each other if checkpoints were illegal. One said he didn't know, but "that guy seems like he knows something we don't." The last I heard of their conversation was them wondering if I was a lawyer.

At that point I fully assumed I was going to be let go, but they kept me overnight. The cell was so crowded that even while sitting down hugging your knees, at least three people were touching you.

Wasn't a very pleasant experience, but I thought i'd share my experience with you guys.
    "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."
    ~Mark Twain

+rep
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmkeisling View Post
    Call a lawyer on Monday or the ACLU.
    Yeah, you might want to talk to a civil rights lawyer of some kind. The question of whether this was a "properly conducted" stop and arrest will probably be very important. It doesn't sound like it was done in a proper manner. The only reason to take a stand is to follow up on it. This may be a good test case, you need to find out from the experts.

Some questions:

- Did they have the required warning signs out?
    - Can they ask for a breathalyzer test with no probable cause?
    - Can they detain and arrest you without any reasons or paperwork?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Wtf?
    If you were not fingerprinted, there's a good chance you're not in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, you might want to talk to a civil rights lawyer of some kind. The question of whether this was a "properly conducted" stop and arrest will probably be very important. It doesn't sound like it was done in a proper manner. The only reason to take a stand is to follow up on it. This may be a good test case, you need to find out from the experts.

Some questions:

- Did they have the required warning signs out?
    - Can they ask for a breathalyzer test with no probable cause?- Can they detain and arrest you without any reasons or paperwork?
    See post 20
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Is it just me, or isn't this a pure contradiction?
    Kind of like a drone strke on US citizens without trial. The public good outweighs the constitution.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast