Thread: Booker T Washington half dollar

Booker T Washington half dollar

Doing some coin roll hunting and came across one. How rare are they? I have never seen one. Date is 1946.
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like this?

In circulated condition, probably just a bit over the silver content value. Uncirculated about $120. Look at the mint mark though, Philly minted a bit over a million, half a million were made in San Francisco, but only 200,000 in Denver.
    Last edited by eduardo89; 12-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.

It is not in great condition. I do not see the the mint mark.

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post
    It is not in great condition. I do not see the the mint mark.
    S or D mint mark will appear below th cabin. If there's no mint mark it's Philadelphia Mint.

This is what's called a commemorative issue. It isn't intended for circulation, though it is the same size, weight and content as a standard walking liberty half (like my avatar). So, finding uncirculated examples isn't that uncommon.

This is why the Denver mint, which makes the bulk of U.S. coins, made so few of them, and the San Francisco mint, which makes few of our coins, made so many. The fact that Denver made any at all indicates this was a popular one.

Yeah, nice find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

finished 1 box and found that booker t, 3 walking liberties, 1 Franklin and 1 64 Kennedy. I thought my only find was the booker t, but the last few rolls were very nice.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    nearly 2 million of them were minted with around half being melted down after they were unable to sell them. They were actually minted up until 1951 and because the field of numismatics was gaining rapid popularity at this point along with the fact that these were issued as commemoratives (not intended for public circulation) you will still find mass amounts of them in uncirculated condition on up to ms-65. Since you said your coin was not in mint condition it probably has a value somewhere between $10 - $20 retail.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870