Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul on Fox News (VIDEO 12/6)

Thumbs up Rand Paul on Fox News (VIDEO 12/6)

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Matt, do you have any idea when Rand will be heading down to Iowa?

I'd guess within 2 weeks of the Caucus starting. Just a guess though.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Rand is losing me, big time. I was more forgiving of his foreign policy non purity, but a candidate that wants to continue stealing my money to pay for some imagined obligation that I never consented to is not a candidate I can support.

Boo on Rand.

I'm actually deeply saddened and disillusioned. I thought he was a libertarian, but I guess he's just another conservative.

Really? Because he wants to be able to fund Social Security he is a bad guy? Even Good ol boy Ron said you can't just leave people on the street who are dependent on this government programs. You need a transition and in order to do that you have to be able to fund it. In that regard, I find his desire to compromise on this issue to be admirable. Either fund your obligations OR reduce spending elsewhere to do so. Ron wants to do the same thing except cut the spending from militarism. How is this substantially different?

It's substantially different because Rand Paul is talking about stealing from me to partially fund a liability that I never consented to, that's going to fail anyway, that I ought to be able to opt out of entirely. Ron Paul's military draw-down sacrifices none of my liberty, and would only enhance my security. These two positions are not even remotely similar.

I'll never support a politician who supports a tax increase. I particularly don't like the way he talks about the potential tax cut 'costing' the government money. Those are the sorts of words liberals use, when they think that the government owns your money and your life to begin with, and tax cuts are just a form of charity.

I think either Washington has gotten to Rand Paul, or he was a fraud to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Really? Because he wants to be able to fund Social Security he is a bad guy? Even Good ol boy Ron said you can't just leave people on the street who are dependent on this government programs. You need a transition and in order to do that you have to be able to fund it. In that regard, I find his desire to compromise on this issue to be admirable. Either fund your obligations OR reduce spending elsewhere to do so. Ron wants to do the same thing except cut the spending from militarism. How is this substantially different?
    The difference is that Ron never votes to raise taxes. Ever.

Payroll taxes do not fund Social Security. It all goes in to the General Revenue fund, where it's spent on whatever.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand has truly let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophage View Post
    I particularly don't like the way he talks
    what he says doesn't matter as much as how he votes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    And how he votes is NO to a payroll tax cut.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00219

Quote Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
    The difference is that Ron never votes to raise taxes. Ever.

Payroll taxes do not fund Social Security. It all goes in to the General Revenue fund, where it's spent on whatever.
    Ron also says that spending is a tax. The fact is that if Congress doesn't offset this payroll tax cut with spending cuts, Social Security will be paid for by inflating the currency. You'll be taxed either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    I think it's time to accept that his rhetoric and his voting record are going to align at this point.

I'm with Xenophage here. This is another disappointment.

Is this the reason he isn't stumping more for Ron?
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 12-07-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    Ron also says that spending is a tax. The fact is that if Congress doesn't offset this payroll tax cut with spending cuts, Social Security will be paid for by inflating the currency. You'll be taxed either way.
    Ron supports us on both sides, not just one. He has a plan to balance the budget and he never votes for a tax increase.

He voted against continuing the payroll tax cut because he wanted it to be paid for by means testing medicare and other spending cuts. THe proposal he voted against would have paid for the payroll tax cut by raising taxes on other people. Whether he voted yes or no, either one could be construed as voting to raise taxes. Maybe he should have not voted on this one.

He voted against continuing the payroll tax cut because he wanted it to be paid for by means testing medicare and other spending cuts. THe proposal he voted against would have paid for the payroll tax cut by raising taxes on other people. Whether he voted yes or no, either one could be construed as voting to raise taxes. Maybe he should have not voted on this one.
    Ron Paul voted to pass this tax cut in December 2010. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll647.xml

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron Paul voted to pass this tax cut in December 2010. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll647.xml
    The link doesn't explain what kind of tax cut this is.

The link doesn't explain what kind of tax cut this is.
    I don't understand what you mean. This is the roll call for the bill that contained the payroll tax cut. Ron Paul voted for it and Rand Paul voted not to extend it.

I don't understand what you mean. This is the roll call for the bill that contained the payroll tax cut. Ron Paul voted for it and Rand Paul voted not to extend it.
    That vote was from Dec 2010. The extension taking place now may include provisions that were not part of the Dec 2010 vote. The devil's in the details.

This article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204262304577068470560665732.html says that the temporary payroll tax cut is accompanied by a permanent tax increase.
    Last edited by Pisces; 12-07-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: didn't enter link correctly

This article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204262304577068470560665732.html says that the temporary payroll tax cut is accompanied by a permanent tax increase.
    Aside from that, Rand was using language that supported the notion that the payroll tax cut would cost the government revenue, as if it were their money somehow.

This isn't the first time Rand has diverged from Ron's position on an issue. I'm starting to wonder if that's the reason he's not stumping for Ron in Iowa, South Carolina, and in other places. I'm almost thinking that if Ron weren't his father, he wouldn't be supporting him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

That vote was from Dec 2010. The extension taking place now may include provisions that were not part of the Dec 2010 vote. The devil's in the details.
    Perhaps, but my concern is that Rand is condemning the payroll tax cut on its face in this interview.

Rand also repeats the lie that payroll taxes fund Social Security. They don't. That money I paid in to payroll taxes was spent on wars and etc. long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Aside from that, Rand was using language that supported the notion that the payroll tax cut would cost the government revenue, as if it were their money somehow.
    He was talking about tax cuts needing to be offset with spending cuts. If you don't do that, you'll end up with debt which will be paid off by inflating the currency. This is why Ron as well says that excessive spending is a tax. People need to realize that it we refuse to make any changes to social security, payroll taxes need to stay where they are or be increased. It's irresponsible to promise people payroll tax cuts without any changes in social security or cuts in spending.

I think the reason Rand is not stumping for his Dad right now is that Congress is still in session.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perhaps, but my concern is that Rand is condemning the payroll tax cut on its face in this interview.
    I agree, he didn't explain himself well.

Texas Rep. Ron Paul supports extending the tax cut too, according to a spokesman
    http://www.npr.org/2011/12/06/143211...ayroll-tax-cut

Yes, but does he support Harry Reid's payroll tax cut proposal? The House proposal is probably different.

Yes, but does he support Harry Reid's payroll tax cut proposal? The House proposal is probably different.
    Rand opposes a payroll tax cut, and repeats the lie that payroll taxes fund Medicare and Social Security.

Rand also repeats the lie that payroll taxes fund Social Security. They don't. That money I paid in to payroll taxes was spent on wars and etc. long ago.
    Technically, this isn't a lie. The payroll taxes do go to a fund that is supposed to pay for Social Security. The problem is that the govt has been borrowing money from that fund and replacing the money with IOU's. But I agree that the money has been used for other purposes besides Social Security in a round about way. I think the answer is to stop the govt from borrowing from the fund.
    Last edited by Pisces; 12-07-2011 at 03:55 PM.

I'm rescinding my original scathing condemnation of Rand on this, as it looks like I would have also voted against this so-called 'tax cut' that raises taxes for 10 years.

It is neither a practical nor a moral bill.

That said, Rand was quite obviously "speaking" to people well outside my demographic. He was using the language of statists, rather than defending a principled position. I don't know how I like it. He certainly did not convince me with his arguments that he made the right choice for the right reasons.

Rand may be attempting to veil his libertarian motives with political pandering and pragmatic maneuvering, but it does little to instill confidence in those who would be his most die-hard supporters, and it does little to advance the essential cause of liberty in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast