Thread: VA - Innocence is no defense for being put on sex offender registry.

Exclamation VA - Innocence is no defense for being put on sex offender registry.

Innocence Is No Defense Against Virginia's Sex Offender Registry

Jacob Sullum | November 28, 2011

http://reason.com/blog/2011/11/28/in...om-virginias-s

Five years ago, at the urging of his parents, who worried that he could be tried as an adult and receive a long prison sentence,15-year-old Edgar Coker Jr. pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old friend. Two months later, the girl admitted that the sex was consensual and that she had lied to avoid trouble with her father. The Washington Post reports that Coker nevertheless ended up serving 17 months in juvenile detention and is still listed as a violent sex offender by the state of Virginia:

Last month, Coker, now 20, was arrested during a Friday night football game at the Orange, Va., high school he graduated from after his release from juvenile prison. Unless they have permission from the school, convicted violent sex offenders are not permitted on school grounds. But Coker had received such permission, and he attended school there for more than a year before graduation....

The family has moved several times, twice because of complaints from neighbors who learned that Edgar Coker Jr. was on the registry. Once, a neighborhood girl made a false sexual allegation against one of his brothers, and someone else left this note on their door when they lived in Stafford County: “We don't want a rapist living in our neighborhood.”

Seeking to remove this stigma, Coker's family argues that his legal representation was inadequate. But as the Post notes, "Undoing what’s been done is difficult. Coker’s attorneys are aware of very few instances of a person’s name being removed from the state’s sex-offender registry."
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I lost my virginity when I was 14 to a girl who was two years my senior. I wonder which one of us the government would have considered raped the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophage View Post
    I lost my virginity when I was 14
    thats sad

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    thats sad
    Of the range of emotions a 14-year-old would experience when having sex with an older girl, I imagine sadness is pretty far down on the list.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    thats sad
    Hah, I would have rejoiced had I lost my virginity at 14.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Due. Process. Of. Law.

This is Not.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Guilty until proven guilty. this is the system we live in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Of the range of emotions a 14-year-old would experience when having sex with an older girl, I imagine sadness is pretty far down on the list.
    +1, i was in basically the exact same situation lol. i don't remember being sad at all....lol

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If this had been done to me I would be called 'a fatal statistic." To look at a lifetime lifetime of bull$#@! because of judicial chicanery? Yeah.

How is the sex-offender registry list even constitutional?
    They use force, to make you do, what the deciders have decided you must do. -- Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Humanae Libertas View Post
    How is the sex-offender registry list even constitutional?
    I don't think it is. Although I'm sure some private alternatives could be setup, people wouldn't take them at their word like they do the state. They might actually question why some individuals are or are not on the list. State worshippers ass-ume the state is always right for some stupid reason, so you get these situations.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Oh, the death pangs of a dying republic. It hurts me so and I see no way to fix it. Not enough people are ready to stand up to state crimes and one man would just be an unheard of martyr. I am sure there plenty sitting in a cell somewhere that were never heard. How far we have fallen.
    “The state can't give you freedom, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free.” ~ Utah Phillips

Couldn't he sue the girl who made the false claim for damages?

it's all about the money folks. if he had more money this would be off his record.
    In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by SL89 View Post
    Oh, the death pangs of a dying republic. It hurts me so and I see no way to fix it. Not enough people are ready to stand up to state crimes and one man would just be an unheard of martyr. I am sure there plenty sitting in a cell somewhere that were never heard. How far we have fallen.
    It's been dead for a very long time (assuming the commonly accepted definition in 1790).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm lucky that I grew up when I did
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

"Off with his future!" cried the Red Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    I'm lucky that I grew up when I did
    Me too!

Ludes were the consensual order of the day and nobody had heard of "roofies".

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Five years ago, at the urging of his parents, who worried that he could be tried as an adult and receive a long prison sentence,15-year-old Edgar Coker Jr. pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old friend. Two months later, the girl admitted that the sex was consensual and that she had lied to avoid trouble with her father. The Washington Post reports that Coker nevertheless ended up serving 17 months in juvenile detention and is still listed as a violent sex offender by the state of Virginia
    Secession please
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophage View Post
    I lost my virginity when I was 14 to a girl who was two years my senior. I wonder which one of us the government would have considered raped the other one?
    Consentual Sex is no longer about the two individuals involved in the act. Think of it being a slightly lesser form of Marriage. You "need" (and I use that word "need" loosely) a License to get Married. Thus, it is NOT a binding contract between two consenting Adults. It IS a binding contract between the two consenting Adults AND THE STATE. That is what CONCENT means now-a-days.

It really wouldnt suprise me much if someone tried to come along and tried to mandate that you need a License to Spank the Monkey or to Flick the Bean in the Spam Purse because Self Satisfaction would require Concent between that individual and the STATE as well.

(The Definition of "State" in the usage of the context is not referring to any one of the several States of the United States, but the Government and their controlling entities as a generalized term.)
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.