Thread: Do you mean nuclear weapons technology or nuclear energy technology?

Do you mean nuclear weapons technology or nuclear energy technology?

The question to ask back when asked about Iran (or anyone else) having a nuclear weapon.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=evid...nuclear+weapon

I heard this question from a guy on Charlie Rose when asked about Saudi Arabia. It's an important distinction. Political interests have been known to drum up negative sentiment in order to increase public support of sanctions or other acts of war against a country. One method of doing so is to claim there is intention of making nuclear weaponry. So called evidence to support the claim can be presence of nuclear technology. The line can be blurred between technology that is really just used to create efficient energy (industrialization) and technology used for war/defense (armament).
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

The problem is determining intent. Iran certainly wants nuclear energy. They need something. Iran relies on exports of oil for their economy and given their rates of production and their own rising domestic demand, the amounts available for export are heading towards zero- meaning loss of income for the government and country- possibly in just a few years. They are seeking alternative energy sources for domestic energy to free up more oil for exporting.

Even if they did get a nuclear weapon or weapons- what is the chance they would actually use them? Extremely small. Who would be a likely target? The US? They could not have any sort of serious impact on our ability to retaliate to any nuclear attack by Iran. That would be suicide for them. Same if they decided to use them on Israel. Granted Israel is a much smaller country and the chances of doing serious damage to their military via a nuclear strike is greater than an attack on a country the size of the US but again, they would probably face serious retaliation by the US and possibly other countries. The most valuable use of nuclear weapons is defensive- to deter attacks against yourself. Nuclear armed countries tend not to go to war against each other. And Iran does not have a history of attacking other countries to begin with. On the plus side, it could give them more presetige in the region as the only Arab nuclear power which could gain them more political influence in the region. But militarily, no, I don't believe that a nuclear armed Iran presents any real threats to global security- let alone the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Another thing is the gall with which the international powers conduct themselves. Saddam once told U.N. investigators they couldn't come and check out factories in his country. So what? Why should a sovereign country allow some supposedly higher authority snoop around its country willy nilly? What right has the U.N. to send people in and rifle through G.M.'s files and corridors?

There's a double standard, and much of it is political. On the world stage there's the leaders who play ball, and those who don't. I've heard various theories. IMF, CFR, Trilateral Commission, AIPAC. What gives?