Thread: John Mackey---To Increase Jobs, Increase Economic Freedom

John Mackey---To Increase Jobs, Increase Economic Freedom

John Mackey founder of Whole Foods and big Ron Paul supporter has a very good op-ed in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...153911170.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mackey's a good guy...bump.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Our defense budget now accounts for 43% of all military spending in the entire world—more than the next 14 largest defense budgets combined. It is time for us to scale back our military commitments and reduce our spending to something more in line with our percentage of the world GDP, or 23%. Doing this would save more than $300 billion every year.
    Really, our military is expensive? And in the WSJ to boot....

John Mackey is awesome. I've been following this guy for a long time. If you guys learn about his vision of "conscious capitalism", I think you'll be impressed. It basically comes down to accomplishing everything the progressives want through capitalistic means.

So you end up with the cleanest air, the most efficient economy, the highest paid jobs, and a harmonious planet but in a better way. It takes the invisible hand and makes it visible. When people see what the invisible hand does, they can acknowledge it and support it.

Right on, Mackey!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

John Mackey for Vice President!

John Mackey wrote a letter in 2006 to all of his staff announcing that he would reduce his own salary to $1 a year, donate his stock portfolio to charity and set up a $100,000 emergency fund for staff facing personal problems. [....] "I am now 53 years old and I have reached a place in my life where I no longer want to work for money, but simply for the joy of the work itself and to better answer the call to service that I feel so clearly in my own heart."
    What better way to answer the call to service than to serve as Vice President to Ron Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    John Mackey for Vice President!
    John Mackey is from Texas. I don't think it's allowed. But it would be great! I'm sure there's a place for him in the administration.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    John Mackey is from Texas. I don't think it's allowed. But it would be great! I'm sure there's a place for him in the administration.
    Didn't Cheney do a last minute move to somewhere else to run on Bush's ticket?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Didn't Cheney do a last minute move to somewhere else to run on Bush's ticket?
    yeah, it was kinda shady at the time. He had dual residency in Oklahoma, I think.

Also, John Mackey pissed off a bunch of progressives during the Obamacare debate with another editorial. They thought they owned him (Whole Foods being a prog icon and all), and then he began talking about free-market solutions.

A few months before the election Cheney put his home in Dallas up for sale and changed his drivers' license and voter registration back to Wyoming. This change was necessary to allow Texas' presidential electors to vote for both Bush and Cheney without contravening the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which forbids electors from voting for someone from their own state for both President and Vice-President.
    - wikipedia

Yeah, some progressives aren't happy with him now - but that's mostly the ones that we'd never get anyway. He came from that mind-set, so he should be able to help bridge that gap in the ideal people are thinking of and how government intervention is not practically in line with that ideal.

I particularly like that he's a successful business man - and not in the phoney/corrupt "My connections gave me this pizza company" sort of way. He doesn't have the baggage of positions he took as a politician.

And, he's somebody that we should be able to trust should something happen to President Paul.

They thought they owned him (Whole Foods being a prog icon and all), and then he began talking about free-market solutions.
    It was never was a progressive icon, not even close. Heck, they've always been non-union even in states where almost all the other grocery stores are unionized.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It was never was a progressive icon, not even close. Heck, they've always been non-union even in states where almost all the other grocery stores are unionized.
    Yeah, maybe "progressive" was the wrong word. Liberal icon? Tree-hugger? Lefty?

My point was he has some baggage. The health care thing, the union thing, and the SEC investigation over some message board posts.

I've never met him, but I always thought he'd make a great ticket with Gary Johnson. They seem to share some qualities in the way they approach liberty.

Yeah, maybe "progressive" was the wrong word. Liberal icon? Tree-hugger? Lefty?

My point was he has some baggage. The health care thing, the union thing, and the SEC investigation over some message board posts.
    I'd say more alternative healthcare/health food icon. But fair points. I'd say his baggage is minor compared to a lot of others.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'd say more alternative healthcare/health food icon. But fair points. I'd say his baggage is minor compared to a lot of others.
    Plus, those people are PASSIONATE about their choices. That's the kind of passion that can get people to part with their money and volunteer time.

Plus, those people are PASSIONATE about their choices. That's the kind of passion that can get people to part with their money and volunteer time.
    True that and it doesn't hurt us with them that Obama is so hot in bed with the Monsanto crew.

I agree. We need the government to stop regulating the financial sector completely! This will allow them to make even more money than the current massive record profits, and we will surely see that poop trickle down eventually to us business owners as they must eventually invest it... right?

I can has conservatism too!

"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment."

-Bertrand Russell

I received positive rep for extreme sarcasm from a person who thought I was serious ... please look up Poe's Law

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol, deregulating the banking industry accross the board (THAT INCLUDES STRIPPING THE FED OF IT'S POWER) would lead to CHEAPER banking for "the people"/"the market".

The industry as a whole would collapse on a relative GDP basis.

Much like military spending is out of whack, so is banking. BOTH absolutely dominate the market BECAUSE of government law/regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kade View Post
    I agree. We need the government to stop regulating the financial sector completely! This will allow them to make even more money than the current massive record profits, and we will surely see that poop trickle down eventually to us business owners as they must eventually invest it... right?

I can has conservatism too!

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Lol, deregulating the banking industry accross the board (THAT INCLUDES STRIPPING THE FED OF IT'S POWER) would lead to CHEAPER banking for "the people"/"the market".

The industry as a whole would collapse on a relative GDP basis.

Much like military spending is out of whack, so is banking. BOTH absolutely dominate the market BECAUSE of government law/regulation.
    I can't wait to bathe in the wealth of the trickling!

"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment."

-Bertrand Russell

I received positive rep for extreme sarcasm from a person who thought I was serious ... please look up Poe's Law

sarcasm?

I'm not sure what the purpose of your posts has been.

sarcasm?

Facts don't work. So I often resort to reluctant acceptance of the premises.

-Bertrand Russell

sarcasm?

It seems like Kade doesn't believe the government can be restrained enough to allow a real free market to operate. Many people rightly assume that the free market ultimately leads to corporatism. I still believe it is worth the effort to keep government restricted from engaging in such activities. The freest market possible will always provide the best standard of living for everyone operating within it.

Sorry, Kade... It's not trickling.

Sounds like sexy fun time, can't wait either.