Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: There are no trolls here

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTUSman View Post
    This is not true. I have never been a part of a forum and in one day have seen the troll word thrown out so much. I honestly cannot believe the behavior of some people using that word. It is like McCarthyism on roids, hunting for witch trolls.
    Aahhhh..yer just trolling fer witch hunters.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post

Rev9
    Trolling for witch hunters? Huh? I don't want a response, just a comment. I bet if you see how much the word troll comes up in posts, it would probably be a great % of posts. That's all I am saying. I just think it is funny how people throw the word around. Here's a troll, there's a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTUSman View Post
    Trolling for witch hunters? Huh? I don't want a response, just a comment. I bet if you see how much the word troll comes up in posts, it would probably be a great % of posts. That's all I am saying. I just think it is funny how people throw the word around. Here's a troll, there's a troll.
    ....everywhere's a troll, troll!
    Old MacDonald had a farm, EE-I-EE-I-O!

Fantastic post Bryan! I hoped to see an announcement such as this otherwise it would be just another frustrating forum where too many try to take the lead on a witch hunt. I don't want to see people controlled or chased away for simply stating an opinion and who at times needs assistance on perspective. I already love it here!

Banned

I was hitchhiking cross country and slept under a bridge does that count as being a troll?

I agree with your decision. Besides, it gives us all a good chance to see our opponents logic, or lack thereof. If we don't understand our opponents, and we don't know why they believe what they believe, then we will have a difficult time converting them to our cause. Granted, some people are lost causes, but even then it gives us the chance to debate our points, and find ways to refine them over time.

This is why I love the Ron Paul Forums. In the process of defending and attacking the various points made throughout threads here, I've managed to better inform myself about the message of Liberty, and I've better informed myself about how I can defend liberty in discussion format. I've better informed myself about the Constitution, and I've better informed myself about all of my rights as a citizen. When I first started following the message of liberty, I didn't know all the various nuances, and as such I had a difficult time arguing in defense of my beliefs, and in defense of Ron Paul. I'm still no expert on every matter, but I feel I've thoroughly informed myself of a wide myriad of topics, and how they're addressed by the principles of Libertarianism. As such, I now feel that I can credibly defend Ron Paul, should anyone ever bring up their hatred for him and his policies.
    Last edited by Jonathanm; 02-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    "A man chooses; a slave obeys." Andrew Ryan, BIOSHOCK.

I hereby vow to donate $20 to Ron Paul for his fantastic performance at the 2/22 debate. Payday can't come soon enough!

Shame on us, doomed from the start,
    May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts
    Shame on us, for all we have done,
    And all we ever were. Just zeroes and ones.
    --Zero Sum - Nine Inch Nails

The difference between a regular post and a troll is that a troll is not serious, that is they are fishing for entertainment, just waiting for an amateur forum user to take the bait. (BTW trawlers are boats for towed net fishing, trolling is towed hook and line.)

Sure, thanks admin to share info with us.

Welcome to the forums, Gavin44!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by capsicum View Post
    The difference between a regular post and a troll is that a troll is not serious, that is they are fishing for entertainment, just waiting for an amateur forum user to take the bait. (BTW trawlers are boats for towed net fishing, trolling is towed hook and line.)
    Just for information purposes: the net.etymology of "troll" stems from the word trawl. My internetting started in 1979 at UC Davis when there were but a small handful of internet sites, about 16 at that time as I vaguely recall. We accessed chat nodes via HP-21 terminals and a system called CANDE. It was all very cool. By about 1982 the number of sites had grown significantly, though still paltry by today's numbers, yet IRC was still pretty much the only social and real time activity in which one could engage. By that time we were talking to people from other nations such as Canada and I do not even recall where else.

People being what they are, there were those who were up to what the rest would have considered "no good" or otherwise uncool behaviors. Some of those were seeking to gain information, i.e., they were "fishing" and therefore initially called "trawlers" and were "trawling". Somewhere along the way someone misunderstood and used "troll" and the rest is history as they say, but not until several years of the use of trawl has been behind us.
    --

http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com
    http://turnyourbackonthem.wordpress.com

ignominia et contemptum tyrannis

Habeo excelsum artem; afflixerim cum crudelitate illis qui laedas me

Shelley's thinly veiled warning to tyrants:

The monster saw my determination in my face and gnashed his teeth in the impotence of anger. "Shall each man," cried he, "find a wife for his bosom, and each beast have his mate, and I be alone? I had feelings of affection, and they were requited by detestation and scorn. Man! You may hate, but beware! Your hours will pass in dread and misery, and soon the bolt will fall which must ravish from you your happiness forever. Are you to be happy while I grovel in the intensity of my wretchedness? You can blast my other passions, but revenge remains--revenge, henceforth dearer than light or food! I may die, but first you, my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery. Beware, for I am fearless and therefore powerful. I will watch with the wiliness of a snake, that I may sting with its venom. Man, you shall repent of the injuries you inflict.”

<==King Trawler.

You're a backer of
    Lavabit's Dark Mail Initiative

by Ladar Levison

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Just for information purposes: the net.etymology of "troll" stems from the word trawl. My internetting started in 1979 at UC Davis when there were but a small handful of internet sites, about 16 at that time as I vaguely recall. We accessed chat nodes via HP-21 terminals and a system called CANDE. It was all very cool. By about 1982 the number of sites had grown significantly, though still paltry by today's numbers, yet IRC was still pretty much the only social and real time activity in which one could engage. By that time we were talking to people from other nations such as Canada and I do not even recall where else.

People being what they are, there were those who were up to what the rest would have considered "no good" or otherwise uncool behaviors. Some of those were seeking to gain information, i.e., they were "fishing" and therefore initially called "trawlers" and were "trawling". Somewhere along the way someone misunderstood and used "troll" and the rest is history as they say, but not until several years of the use of trawl has been behind us.

Not everyone is the same distance down the rabbit hole. Some think some have gone too far; some think some are lagging behind. But NO ONE who has half a brain and who has half-way been paying attention can imagine that ANY political discussion forum is NOT surveilled, infiltrated, compromised, et al.

Whether they are "merely" Information Gatherers, or whether they are Political Operatives, or whether they are "plain" Bad Guys...are they more likely to "sound" like adversaries, or are they more likely to blend in and be SUBTLER about achieving their ends?
    Last edited by cheapseats; 12-28-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    Whether they are "merely" Information Gatherers, or whether they are Political Operatives, or whether they are "plain" Bad Guys...are they more likely to "sound" like adversaries, or are they more likely to blend in and be SUBTLER about achieving their ends?
    Yeppers. The good thing, at least from my end of all this, is that I don't care. I speak my peace, come what may. Though I would like to go on living, I can say I have lived enough and do not fear these people sufficiently to be silenced. There are people in this world of whom I am fond enough to risk what little remains to me for their sake. Some of those people I have never met face to face, but that matters not a whit to me. One has choices in life. Every moment of every day. Once can choose principle and the good that comes with believing in sacred things or one can take the path of the cowardly and defeated cynic who chooses pragmatism. It is all up to each of us to decide this. I choose the former. I fail at being completely true to it perhaps on a daily, maybe even hourly basis, but I am getting better at it as my grip on the trappings of my life weakens and those things begin to fall by the wayside. With this comes the attendant dissipation of fear and a strengthening of the understanding of, the desire for, and an appreciation of a sense of "right" and of "wrong". Fear sublimates into mist and one becomes unwilling to be silent in the face of unjust acts and circumstance. How brave will I remain if the men ever come for me? I have no idea. Perhaps I shall fold like a cheap suit. But until then I speak my truth, the tyrants be damned.

My only caution per your implied warning is beware of anyone calling us to arms. OTOH, beware of those such as myself as well. The unfortunate nature of this medium becomes clear in these respects. Be careful, but do not be afraid.

As I have written here before, in the end we are all dead men. We cannot alter the truth of our ultimate and common fate, but we can choose how to meet it and how we comport ourselves along the journey. Decide what sort of person you will be, taking care in the choosing. Then stick to it, no matter what others may say, threaten, or do. Be open to alteration, but be ever watchful of your true reasons when you adopt change. Be your best as often and as completely as you can. Be good to yourself and be good to your family, friends, and fellows of meritorious character, and for God's sake have the courage to judge their characters for suitability and worthiness to be part of your circle.

I can advise one no further than this.
    Last edited by osan; 12-28-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: the usual
    --

http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com
    http://turnyourbackonthem.wordpress.com

ignominia et contemptum tyrannis

Habeo excelsum artem; afflixerim cum crudelitate illis qui laedas me

Shelley's thinly veiled warning to tyrants:

The monster saw my determination in my face and gnashed his teeth in the impotence of anger. "Shall each man," cried he, "find a wife for his bosom, and each beast have his mate, and I be alone? I had feelings of affection, and they were requited by detestation and scorn. Man! You may hate, but beware! Your hours will pass in dread and misery, and soon the bolt will fall which must ravish from you your happiness forever. Are you to be happy while I grovel in the intensity of my wretchedness? You can blast my other passions, but revenge remains--revenge, henceforth dearer than light or food! I may die, but first you, my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery. Beware, for I am fearless and therefore powerful. I will watch with the wiliness of a snake, that I may sting with its venom. Man, you shall repent of the injuries you inflict.”

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

As I have written here before, in the end we are all dead men. We cannot alter the truth of our ultimate and common fate, but we can choose how to meet it and how we comport ourselves along the journey. Decide what sort of person you will be, taking care in the choosing. Then stick to it, no matter what others may say, threaten, or do. Be open to alteration, but be ever watchful of your true reasons when you adopt change. Be your best as often and as completely as you can. Be good to yourself and be good to your family, friends, and fellows of meritorious character, and for God's sake have the courage to judge their characters for suitability and worthiness to be part of your circle.

I can advise one no further than this.
    Oh that I were so eloquent,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by allyinoh View Post
    I agree. I was a member of politically uncensored.com for over a year and when I started talking about Ron Paul I was banned for being a "troll." It's just so immature!
    I too agree with you .

The problem with using the word for people who disagree is that it makes forums vulnerable to real ones. The real ones do web searches for that word and then put their minions to work. Advanced technology has made it possible to invade even the best forum security.

Plus, it is a very tacky way to disagree with people. Part of the reason the libertarian message has not gained traction is because of the obnoxious way people express themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    The problem with using the word for people who disagree is that it makes forums vulnerable to real ones. The real ones do web searches for that word and then put their minions to work. Advanced technology has made it possible to invade even the best forum security.

Plus, it is a very tacky way to disagree with people. Part of the reason the libertarian message has not gained traction is because of the obnoxious way people express themselves.
    I disagree. The HUGE majority of vitriol, ad hominem, profane comments, etc are from the statist crowd. You ever read the comment section on HotAir or HuffPo or Yahoo? Granted, they still make up the majority so it stands to reason that it's a case of simple statistics but still, I disagree about who is obnoxious.

There may not be trolls here but there sure as heck are shills here.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

Internet shills exposed: (Yes, there are plenty on RPF)
    http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2012/10/...eyre-real.html

Why most RPF members are against the US involvement with Israel explained by Mini-Me:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=218093
    No anti-semitism, just logic.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks Fishing Boat Rentals

We are representatives of the movement. Can't afford to burn bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by allyinoh View Post
    I agree. I was a member of politically uncensored.com for over a year and when I started talking about Ron Paul I was banned for being a "troll." It's just so immature!
    Irony.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    We are representatives of the movement. Can't afford to burn bridges.
    Like Jesus, like Ghandi, part of our job is to attract converts by being demonstrably better people than those we oppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Coolidge View Post
    'The country cannot be run on the promise of what it will do for the people. The only motive to which they will continue ready to respond is the opportunity to do something for themselves, to achieve their own greatness, to work out their own destiny.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Coolidge View Post
    'We do not need more government, we need more culture. We do not need more law, we need more religion. We do not need more of the things that are seen, we need more of the things that are unseen.'

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post

Rev9
    I miss Rev9. somebody with his email, tell him to come back for a visit as he is no longer banned and the site is under new ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Snowden;
    So its, I would say; illustrative that the president would choose to say, "someone should face the music" when he knows the music is a show trial.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I miss Rev9. somebody with his email, tell him to come back for a visit as he is no longer banned and the site is under new ownership.
    He did manage to add spice to the constant bickering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Fuck sakes, if you shoved a lump of coal up AmeriKa's collective ass, it would shit out a diamond.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

The Canadian Israeli community organizer Texas guest worker/dream student, Senator.

The successful troll is never accused of being a troll.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    The reason we have an evil, immoral empire is that it is populated by evil, immoral peons. The State isn't a faceless monster...it is composed of all our petty, ignorant, self-righteous and self-absorbed neighbors.

i'm not sure, but i think REV9 was done with politics from reading his final posts....

meh....maybe he was having a bad hair day....
    “Tyrants and empires cling desperately, and their best weapon is lying.”

---Ron Paul

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345