Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans Are Now Living In a Society That Rivals Orwell’s 1984

Americans Are Now Living In a Society That Rivals Orwell’s 1984

Americans Are Now Living In a Society That Rivals Orwell’s 1984

Winston Smith’s Oceania has nothing on 2011 America

Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones
    Infowars.com
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Americans are now living in a society that in some cases is more draconian, more invasive and more Orwellian than the dystopian tyranny fictionalized in Orwell’s chilling classic Nineteen Eighty-Four. On almost every front, American citizens are under an equal or greater threat of abuse, control and more pervasive and high-tech surveillance than anything Winston Smith ever faced.

Compare life in Oceania to life in 2011 America, with quotes from George Orwell’s 1984 appearing in italic.

“In general you could not assume that you were much safer in the country than in London. There were no telescreens, of course, but there was always the danger of concealed microphones by which your voice might be picked up and recognized.”

Americans will now too have their every utterance listened to by Big Brother in public through surveillance-capable street lights now being installed in major cities across the country which can record private conversations. Just as the citizens of Oceania could never be sure of their privacy, Charlotte’s Deputy Homeland Security chief told the local Fox network earlier this week that Americans “would never know” whether or not the government was listening.

“In the far distance a helicopter skimmed down between the roofs, hovered for an instant like a bluebottle, and darted away again with a curving flight. It was the police patrol, snooping into people’s windows.”

America in 2011 is more advanced than Orwell’s Oceania in that it doesn’t have to rely on expensive helicopters to spy on citizens. That job has now been entrusted to unmanned drones that not only act as surveillance devices, they can also carry tasers that deliver incapaciating electric shocks to “suspected” criminals.

“It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself – anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called.”

Facecrime is now a reality in 2011 with the aid of behaviometrics – a new omnipresent surveillance technology developed for the US Air Force and destined to be used in law enforcement to “monitor suspicious behavior”. The system revolves around a camera that tracks facial movements biometrically in order to build a psychological profile of the individual under surveillance. The movements of the muscles in your face will alert Big Brother, through the process of “behavior analysis,” to your presence as a suspicious individual who may be engaging in the act of thought crime, or God forbid, planning a public protest.

“It was almost normal for people over thirty to be frightened of their own children. And with good reason, for hardly a week passed in which The Times did not carry a paragraph describing how some eavesdropping little sneak — ‘child hero’ was the phrase generally used — had overheard some compromising remark and denounced its parents to the Thought Police.”

As part of Homeland Security’s See Something, Say Something program, Americans are being bombarded at every level, from Wal-Mart, to football games, to hotel rooms, with messages encouraging them t to report their fellow citizens for engaging in “suspicious activity,” which as we have documented, includes mundane behavior such as paying with cash, opposing surveillance, using a video camera, talking to police officers, wearing hoodies, driving vans, writing on a piece of paper, and using a cell phone recording application.

Schools are also now training children to be “eco-spies” by reporting on their parents’ bad recycling habits, encouraging kids to “re-educate” them into compliance.

“Inside the flat a fruity voice was reading out a list of figures which had something to do with the production of pig-iron. The voice came from an oblong metal plaque like a dulled mirror which formed part of the surface of the right-hand wall. Winston turned a switch and the voice sank somewhat, though the words were still distinguishable. The instrument (the telescreen, it was called) could be dimmed, but there was no way of shutting it off completely.”

Just as the citizens of Oceania were constantly bombarded with propaganda from the state via telescreens, Americans are now being subjected to the same onslaught in the form of spurious “alerts” from the federal government that are delivered through numerous platforms, including LED screens on the ‘Intellistreets’ lighting network, televisions at Wal-Mart stores that play Janet Napolitano’s “See Something, Say Something” diatribe, FEMA’s Emergency Alert System that can hijack all conventional boradcast communications, and mandatory government messages that will appear on all new cellphones from the end of next year. And if that isn’t enough, the Washington Post today called for the Internet to also be brought under the auspices of a government takeover switch. Whereas Winston Smith only had to put up with Big Brother lecturing him via telescreens, Americans will be peppered with propaganda from every conceivable direction.

“In the vast majority of cases there was no trial, no report of the arrest. People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word.”

American citizens are not merely “disappearing” without a trial, as happened those who had comitted thoughtcrime in 1984, they are being directly assassinated via Predator drone strikes with no oversight and no legal process whatsoever. As the case of U.S. citizen Anwar Al-Awlaki shows, Americans are now at risk of falling victim to a program of state-sponsored assassination should they be designated “terrorists”. In Orwell’s 1984, miscreants were tortured and brainwashed, but they were not murdered on a whim by government decree before at least being given the opportunity to recant.

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept that can ever be needed, will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and forgotten.”

Illiteracy rates in many large states are rising. One in seven Americans cannot read anything more challenging than a children’s picture book. Americans are being dumbed-down by an onslaught of fluoride in the water, cultural decay that celebrates stupidity over intelligence, and a public school system in terminal decline. Attention spans are shortening as Americans are fed a constant diet of mind-numbing “entertainment”. Vocabularies are shrinking as many Americans can barely express themselves. Whereas in 1984, higher-level thinking was destroyred directly by the state, in 2011 America the entertainment industry is doing just as good a job if not better.

“In Oceania at the present day, Science, in the old sense, has almost ceased to exist. In Newspeak there is no word for ‘Science’. The empirical method of thought, on which all the scientific achievements of the past were founded, is opposed to the most fundamental principles of Ingsoc. And even technological progress only happens when its products can in some way be used for the diminution of human liberty.”

Technology is being used to crush human liberty and eviscerate our privacy. Every technological advancement, from Facebook to the IPhone, brings with it a further assault on privacy. The U.S. judicial system is identifying ways to legalize constant surveillance over every American, most recently with the effort to give authorities the power to secretly track Americans through clandestine global positioning systems attached to their vehicles.

“Only a person thoroughly grounded in Ingsoc could appreciate the full force of the word bellyfeel, which implied a blind, enthusiastic, and casual acceptance difficult to imagine today.”

Orwell’s “bellyfeel” is our cognitive dissonance. This is the process of having blind faith in an explanation or a fact so long as it comes from the establishment – the actual truth of the matter bears no significance. Bellyfeel enables Americans to unquestionably accept everything they are told without the need for critical thinking. On the eve of the invasion of Iraq, 69% of Americans believed that Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks, despite there being no evidence whatsoever that it was true.

These are just a handful of examples that illustrate how Americans and westerners in general are now living in a society that rivals and in some cases outstrips the world of Winston Smith in 1984. Smith was eventually made to love Big Brother and accept that two plus two equals five if the authorities say it does.

The question is, will Americans ever reclaim their sense of dignity and freedom or – like the Party members in Orwell’s Oceania – will they learn to love their servitude?

http://www.infowars.com/americans-ar...-orwells-1984/
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The question is, will Americans ever reclaim their sense of dignity and freedom or – like the Party members in Orwell’s Oceania – will they learn to love their servitude?
    The answer, sadly, is a resounding no.

I was one of only 48 people out of over 100,000 that knew enough to exercise their rights when getting questioned by TSA "officers" at Logan airport.

And it's coming at from all side, government and private sector.

I was just notified that if I wanted to continue to work in my industry, I would have to submit to hair follicle drug testing (and got knows what else the $#@!ers will snoop around in my DNA looking for). But, as we all know, private corporations can't tyrannize anybody, only government can.

"You're free to get another job."

"I can't get another job, because everybody is doing it."

"Oh well, you're free to die, I guess."

I haven't read 1984 yet, so I always say modern society resembles the One State described in Zamyatin's "We" (Мы, in the original Russian)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Americans are now living in a society that in some cases is more draconian, more invasive and more Orwellian than the dystopian tyranny fictionalized in Orwell’s chilling classic Nineteen Eighty-Four. On almost every front, American citizens are under an equal or greater threat of abuse, control and more pervasive and high-tech surveillance than anything Winston Smith ever faced.

Hell, I've been saying this for years now. I've even offered to buy a copy of 1984 for anyone who would be willing to read it. Sadly, a large percentage of the population simply doesn't give a damn. It's so much easier for them to be a sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I've even offered to buy a copy of 1984 for anyone who would be willing to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I haven't read 1984 yet,

Want a copy?

Hell, I've been saying this for years now. I've even offered to buy a copy of 1984 for anyone who would be willing to read it. Sadly, a large percentage of the population simply doesn't give a damn. It's so much easier for them to be a sheep.
    I think sheep would be more likely to watch it on screen than read it. Tell them Netflix has the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I was just notified that if I wanted to continue to work in my industry, I would have to submit to hair follicle drug testing (and got knows what else the $#@!ers will snoop around in my DNA looking for). But, as we all know, private corporations can't tyrannize anybody, only government can.

Jeez. And all these years I've been indignant about being forced to pee in a cup every few months in order to keep my job. I wonder how long it will take before this fresh bullsh*t hits the transportation industry...

Quote Originally Posted by specialK View Post
    I think sheep would be more likely to watch it on screen than read it. Tell them Netflix has the movie.

LOL! I think that summarizes the essence of the problem quite succinctly.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jeez. And all these years I've been indignant about being forced to pee in a cup every few months in order to keep my job. I wonder how long it will take before this fresh bullsh*t hits the transportation industry...
    See that's just it, I'm in the transportation industry as well.

I, like you, have to suffer the piss in the cup indiginty as well.

This has nothing to do with government.

This is a conspiracy of the major players in my business (oil companies) to do it on their own, government is not requiring this.

You'll go into an industry wide database, and if you fail or refuse or try to exercise your rights and resist, you go into the "blackball" list, your name is reported to various drug enforcement authorities, you will never work in the industry again and you will more than likely get a SWAT raid because of it.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

The answer, sadly, is a resounding no.

I was one of only 48 people out of over 100,000 that knew enough to exercise their rights when getting questioned by TSA "officers" at Logan airport.

And it's coming at from all side, government and private sector.

"You're free to get another job."

"I can't get another job, because everybody is doing it."

"Oh well, you're free to die, I guess."
    This type of $#@! needs to stop. People need to wake up and start caring. Though I'm sure not enough will until they wake up in a FEMA camp or Pentagon cold-sleep box.
    I am the spoon.

I haven't read 1984 yet, so I always say modern society resembles the One State described in Zamyatin's "We" (Мы, in the original Russian)
    I highly recommend reading 1984. It's a great book and will leave you stunned that Orwell predicted all this so many decades ago.
    I am the spoon.

Want a copy?
    Yes! (as long as it's free, of course )
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

See that's just it, I'm in the transportation industry as well.

I, like you, have to suffer the piss in the cup indiginty as well.

This has nothing to do with government.

This is a conspiracy of the major players in my business (oil companies) to do it on their own, government is not requiring this.

You'll go into an industry wide database, and if you fail or refuse or try to exercise your rights and resist, you go into the "blackball" list, your name is reported to various drug enforcement authorities, you will never work in the industry again and you will more than likely get a SWAT raid because of it.
    I $#@!ing hate what this country has become and how willingly people are just going along with this. It makes me so $#@!ing mad that we could change all this within a few short years if only the damned sheeple would WAKE UP!
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I highly recommend reading 1984. It's a great book and will leave you stunned that Orwell predicted all this so many decades ago.
    I would not be surprised at all. He read "We" before writing 1984. "We" was perfect for Orwell, as Zamyatin lived through one of the most horrifying, dystopian periods in history and in a way retold the history of the Soviet nightmare as a novel.

1984 thoughtcrime? Does it matter that George Orwell pinched the plot?

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is a classic – but it owes its plot, characters and conclusion to Yevgeny Zamyatin's 1920s novel We.

ETA: Read "We" (English version) in epub format here: http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=K3FGCN8Y
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 11-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I $#@!ing hate what this country has become and how willingly people are just going along with this. It makes me so $#@!ing mad that we could change all this within a few short years if only the damned sheeple would WAKE UP!
    You know what's really scary?

I think they are awake.

I think this is what they want.

We've turned into a society of masochists, that like to be abused and beaten.

And Christ help us all if that's the case.

I've even offered to buy a copy of 1984 for anyone who would be willing to read it.
    I haven't read 1984 yet
    Want a copy?
    You can get copies here for as little as a penny plus $3.99 shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/1984-Signet-Cl...0894820&sr=1-1
    I am the spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would not be surprised at all. He read "We" before writing 1984. "We" was perfect for Orwell, as Zamyatin lived through one of the most horrifying, dystopian periods in history and in a way retold the history of the Soviet nightmare as a novel.

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is a classic – but it owes its plot, characters and conclusion to Yevgeny Zamyatin's 1920s novel We.

ETA: Read "We" (English version) in epub format here: http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=K3FGCN8Y
    Interesting. I'll have to read it sometime.
    I am the spoon.

You know what's really scary?

I think they are awake.

I think this is what they want.

We've turned into a society of masochists, that like to be abused and beaten.

And Christ help us all if that's the case.
    It is scary and it is for sure the case with a large percentage of Americans. They may not be truly awake to what is coming, not all of them anyway, but they would no doubt LOVE IT when it does happen. The fascists, socialists and communists, what is coming is EXACTLY what they want.
    I am the spoon.

I'm going to read We and re-read 1984 soon. Thanks!

Feds eye plan to make Internet snooping easier

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...ooping-easier/

The Obama Administration is reportedly considering a statute that would make it easier for federal authorities to intercept communications over services such as Facebook, Skype and BlackBerry -- an idea that's stoking anxiety within the privacy community.

The measure would force Internet companies that provide communications services to add in capabilities allowing federal authorities to intercept any messages on their networks, and to unscramble encrypted ones, the New York Times reported today .

The idea is being driven by law enforcement authorities worried that their ability to wiretap criminal and terrorism suspects is being eroded as more communications take place online rather than by phone.

A bill outlining the requirements could go to lawmakers sometime next year, the Times said.

Under the existing Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), telecommunications providers are already required to provide interception capabilities to federal law enforcement officials. The new proposals would extend that capability to the Internet.

Under the existing Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), telecommunications providers are already required to provide interception capabilities to federal law enforcement officials. The new proposals would extend that capability to the Internet.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Well, Zamyatin and Orwell (Eric Blair, if we're really being technical) were both describing life as it really was during the Soviet dictatorship. Under that sort of tyranny there can really be only one plot, and definitely just one ending. I don't think there were ever any happy endings in the Soviet Union. I'll have to check out Zamyatin's work. I've heard about it, but never actually read it.

And HB - when you get the chance, PM me your mailing address and I'll certainly spring for a copy of 1984. It really is worth the read.

Another double post? <dammit!!>> stupid stuttering wifi connection....
    Last edited by KCIndy; 11-09-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Read online for free:

http://www.george-orwell.org/1984
    Damn, beat me to it!

As for me, I love Big Brother.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post

The Obama Administration is reportedly considering a statute that would make it easier for federal authorities to intercept communications over services such as Facebook, Skype and BlackBerry -- an idea that's stoking anxiety within the privacy community.

The measure would force Internet companies that provide communications services to add in capabilities allowing federal authorities to intercept any messages on their networks, and to unscramble encrypted ones, the New York Times reported today .

The idea is being driven by law enforcement authorities worried that their ability to wiretap criminal and terrorism suspects is being eroded as more communications take place online rather than by phone.

A bill outlining the requirements could go to lawmakers sometime next year, the Times said.

I'm putting the over/under on yes votes at 95%.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Damn, beat me to it!

As for me, I love Big Brother.
    With gin scented tears?

Ok guys you've made me talk myself into it. I'm going to order a copy of 1984 . I haven't read it in 3 years...
    I am the spoon.

Update: You can read "We" in pdf format here if you can't read epub format. I think the Ginsberg translation is best, but it's not online free anywhere, AFAIK.

Update: You can read "We" in pdf format here if you can't read epub format. I think the Ginsberg translation is best, but it's not online free anywhere, AFAIK.
    I'm assuming your Russian is good enough to have read "We" in it's original Russian, correct?

I'd love to hear a comparison/review, when you finish 1984.

The future is fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post

I'm assuming your Russian is good enough to have read "We" in it's original Russian, correct?

I'd love to hear a comparison/review, when you finish 1984.
    I've read some of the original Russian, but haven't had time to read all of it. I just got it late last year. I read the English translation in Soviet lit class ~5 years ago, and re-read it several times since. The Russian version definitely has a different "feel" to it, but the translations do a pretty decent job of conveying what the original text says. Unfortunately for you anglophones, there's no such thing as a "perfect" translation from Russian-English, but we can get pretty close. I will do a compare/contrast piece when I finish 1984.

For those brave enough or interested, here is the Russian translation of "We" ("Мы")- http://www.klassika.ru/read.html?proza/zamyatin/we.txt
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 11-09-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast