Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christian Child-Rearing Manual Is A Frequent Factor In Child Abuse, Even Deaths

Christian Child-Rearing Manual Is A Frequent Factor In Child Abuse, Even Deaths

The Pearl Method

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madr...-manual-freque

So many people were shocked by the video of that Texas judge hitting his child, but I wasn't. I've been reading for a long time about the abusive child-rearing practices of extreme Christian fundamentalists, and I wouldn't be surprised if that girl's father thought he was merely doing his duty and "raising a godly child."

The books of Michael and Debi Pearl are frequently implicated in that kind of abuse. Here's a heart-wrenching post from a reader over at the No Longer Quivering blog, started by a woman who left the fundamentalist Quiverfull movement:

When the Pearls’ methods failed, I got stuck on method a. Blame yourself. I re-read To Train Up a Child. When I knew I had it right, I hit harder. Prayed harder. Did the whole disciplinary routine smiling from ear to ear and cooing like a dove. My babies acted freaked out by my grin (it was a lot like Debi Pearl’s vacuous, huge grin in the Tuchman interview) and were enraged by my efforts to “lovingly reconcile” with them after spankings. They kept up the fight. At this point, I think I would have admitted to myself that something was wrong with this whole child-training method and stopped torturing the toddlers all day to no avail. If you have to be cruel to get the Pearl method to work on some kids, it’s wrong. I had a husband, however, who was firmly convinced that Pearl was right. He went right for the b. and c. options: hit harder and blame the kid.

Options b. and c. are hard to do without getting angry. They are hard to do without leaving bruises, especially since Pearl discipline is cumulative: faced with entrenched rebellion, you are supposed to hit repeatedly and in the same areas. My ex-husband got angry with the kids for thwarting the Pearl method, but he remained coldly self-controlled. He also left bruises. A lot of bruises.

Why didn’t I stop him? I finally did, but early in my marriage I was paralyzed by fear and brainwashed by bad teaching. We both feared raising ungodly kids. We were looking for confirmation that some part of this system worked, and my ex-husband began to get results. The children flinched when he even moved. Cowered when he reached for a spanking implement. Had semi-seizures on the carpet following “biblical correction.” We got compliance with our wishes. Eventually, there wasimmediate and unquestioning compliance. My ex-husband had quelled the rebellion in three kids. He had created unfocused, freaked-out little robots who obeyed. The joy and the peace that was supposed to suffuse our home according to Pearl, we thought we could dispense with. Maybe it would come later; the Pearls are a little vague on where the peace and love should come into the process, just as they are a little vague on how you can keep “chastising” repeatedly with progressively increased force in the same places without leaving bruises.

To Train Up a Child is a manual of progressive violence against children. Not only are there no stopgaps to prevent child abuse, the book is a mandate to use implements to inflict increasingly intense pain in the face of continued disobedience. The part about not causing injury is vague and open to interpretation, but the part about never backing down or shirking your parental duty to spank harder and harder is crystal clear. The Pearls’ teachings will lead, inescapably, to extremely strong-willed kids being abused and sometimes murdered by fundamentalist parents who are determined to “break” those children. The Pearls’ defenders will say, “Oh, they took it to an extreme and should have known better.” If anyone knows better than to keep inflicting more severe discipline on an intractable child, they can only apply that knowledge by scuttling the Pearls’ sadistic teaching and being more reasonable.

T
    Whenever I read stories like this, I think of a lovely young woman I once interviewed, someone who grew up on the streets with her schizophrenic mother. By the time she was 16, she was pregnant. Fortunately, by the time she was 18, she'd been taken into a new program for young mothers that essentially re-parented them: Taught them to budget, balance a checkbook, plan meals, discipline children. She told me she was deeply haunted by guilt over having hit her toddler: "It wasn't that I didn't care about her - I did. I hit her to make her behave. I thought that's what good parents did, and I wanted to be a good parent."

That's the sad part of all this violence. For whatever twisted reason, religious or psychological, many parents still believe they're only doing what good parents do.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Religion Sub-Forum is >>>>>> way. Just saying.

Well they use religion as excuse to abuse their children.

moved to parenting principles subforum

I'm saddened by the abuse and even more so by the death of a child.

I have a copy of To Train Up a Child. I've read it. I've found it to be consistent with Biblical principles. I've used the principles set forth in the book. My children, seven total, are happy and well adjusted. We, my wife and I, begin their training early in life usually with a finger thump to the hand (as they reach for an unacceptable item) and a soft "No" so they learn what is acceptable and unacceptable. As they grow older we begin using a switch. Usually 5 licks and no more is sufficient to correct the behavior.

Before passing judgement on the Pearls and To Train Up a Child, as CNN clearly did, I suggest others buy a copy and read it for yourself. You may not agree with it but you'll see that abuse, and especially the kind of abuse that results in death, is not what they have taught.

Is it just me, or does the title "How to Train a Child" disturb you? Your children aren't your $#@!ing pets.

How to Love a Child, How to Teach a Child Morality, etc would've all been much better starting points.

Force begets force.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

If you need a book to raise a child, you're doing it wrong.

If you hide behind a book (modern or Biblical) to abuse your child, you're sick.

Force teaches fear, not respect.
    Welcome to the USSA.

America, the Doctor will free you now.

Kill 'em all. Let Gawd sort them out.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
    I'm saddened by the abuse and even more so by the death of a child.

I have a copy of To Train Up a Child. I've read it. I've found it to be consistent with Biblical principles. I've used the principles set forth in the book. My children, seven total, are happy and well adjusted. We, my wife and I, begin their training early in life usually with a finger thump to the hand (as they reach for an unacceptable item) and a soft "No" so they learn what is acceptable and unacceptable. As they grow older we begin using a switch. Usually 5 licks and no more is sufficient to correct the behavior.

Before passing judgement on the Pearls and To Train Up a Child, as CNN clearly did, I suggest others buy a copy and read it for yourself. You may not agree with it but you'll see that abuse, and especially the kind of abuse that results in death, is not what they have taught.
    I'd never buy it, because I don't want to support sociopaths who think it's a good idea for me to punish a 7 month-old for pulling my hair by pinching her, pulling her hair or smacking her. Her personality just started truly shining through when she turned 6 months old, and the reason she's pulling my hair is because she's investigating the texture of it and she doesn't have the ability to control her hand motions well yet. I read that they actually support using a switch on a 7 month old....a 7 month old!!

They are a joke as Christians, just like the Westboro Baptist Church is a spoof of Christians.

All that said, I haven't read it and am going from second-hand excerpts and would read a free copy. But I'd never buy one and support what I currently think it is.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

There's nothing wrong with spanking your children. Hell most people don't spank their kids enough. Some people take it way too far though.
    Last edited by John F Kennedy III; 11-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    I am the spoon.

I think spanking a sexual act.

Want me to "spank you." Bend over.

You can see why this messes them up in the head.

crooksandliars is a hard core liberals site. Can't you tell by the name? Why post their crap here? Secular parenting guides are full of $#@! as well. Every child is different. Some you can just look at and they will snap to attention. Other may need a few good spankings and time-outs to develop self control. Others may require an explanation as to why they have to do something that doesn't make sense at the time to them.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    I think spanking a sexual act.

Want me to "spank you." Bend over.

You can see why this messes them up in the head.
    That is a steaming load of Freudian psychobabble.

Rev9

Well they use religion as excuse to abuse their children.
    Do they really..or are they lying?

Rev9

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I'd never buy it, because I don't want to support sociopaths who think it's a good idea for me to punish a 7 month-old for pulling my hair by pinching her, pulling her hair or smacking her. Her personality just started truly shining through when she turned 6 months old, and the reason she's pulling my hair is because she's investigating the texture of it and she doesn't have the ability to control her hand motions well yet. I read that they actually support using a switch on a 7 month old....a 7 month old!!

They are a joke as Christians, just like the Westboro Baptist Church is a spoof of Christians.

All that said, I haven't read it and am going from second-hand excerpts and would read a free copy. But I'd never buy one and support what I currently think it is.
    As long as you are going to willfully mischaracterize and misrepresent what the Pearls teach by remaining ignorant then there is nothing to talk about here.

Quote Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
    As long as you are going to willfully mischaracterize and misrepresent what the Pearls teach by remaining ignorant then there is nothing to talk about here.
    If you have the book, why not directly quote some of it for me then? I'll retract if the second hand quotes I've heard are not true.

Is it true that they recommend using pain (pinching/smacking/hair-pulling, etc) on a baby or not? I admitted that all my info was second hand because I'd like to be proven wrong, if only to be a bit more comfortable in the knowledge that there aren't thousands of people reading and following such advice. Your post did not tell me anything.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you have the book, why not directly quote some of it for me then? I'll retract if the second hand quotes I've heard are not true.

Is it true that they recommend using pain (pinching/smacking/hair-pulling, etc) on a baby or not? I admitted that all my info was second hand because I'd like to be proven wrong, if only to be a bit more comfortable in the knowledge that there aren't thousands of people reading and following such advice. Your post did not tell me anything.
    Here's the book online for free. http://www.achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

I've never read it but found this rather quickly:

Once he learns that the reward of a tantrum is a swift forceful spanking, he will NEVER throw another fit. If you enforce the rule three times and then fail on the fourth, he will keep looking for that loop-hole until you have convinced him it will not work again.

If a parent starts at infancy discouraging the first crying demands, the child will never develop a habit. In our home a fit was totally unknown because the first time it was tried it proved counterproductive.

Any spanking, to effectively reinforce instruction, must cause pain, but the most pain is on the surface of bare skin where the nerves are located. A surface sting will cause sufficient pain, with no injury or bruising. Select your instrument according to the child's size. For the under one year old, a little, ten- to twelve-inch long, willowy branch (striped of any knots that might break the skin) about one-eighth inch diameter is sufficient. Sometimes alternatives have to be sought. A one-foot ruler, or its equivalent in a paddle, is a sufficient alternative. For the larger child, a belt or larger tree branch is effective.

http://www.achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    Here's the book online for free. http://www.achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

I've never read it but found this rather quickly:

Once he learns that the reward of a tantrum is a swift forceful spanking, he will NEVER throw another fit. If you enforce the rule three times and then fail on the fourth, he will keep looking for that loop-hole until you have convinced him it will not work again.

If a parent starts at infancy discouraging the first crying demands, the child will never develop a habit. In our home a fit was totally unknown because the first time it was tried it proved counterproductive.
    Thanks! I'll check it out...but it seems that my worst notions about the book are confirmed. And I will use this thread to shamelessly show off my 7-month old that they suggest using corporal punishment on:

Seriously--could you intentionally cause that child pain, just because she's crying or yanked on your hair? I couldn't.

Any spanking, to effectively reinforce instruction, must cause pain, but the most pain is on the surface of bare skin where the nerves are located. A surface sting will cause sufficient pain, with no injury or bruising. Select your instrument according to the child's size. For the under one year old, a little, ten- to twelve-inch long, willowy branch (striped of any knots that might break the skin) about one-eighth inch diameter is sufficient. Sometimes alternatives have to be sought. A one-foot ruler, or its equivalent in a paddle, is a sufficient alternative. For the larger child, a belt or larger tree branch is effective.

Holy sheet. I just started reading it, and it reads like a bad book on how to train dogs. If several children hadn't died from parents following this advice, I'd think it was a joke and that nobody could possibly take it seriously.

moved to religion cause it is showing up on the front page

Holy $#@!. Thats child abuse.
    I am the spoon.

Everyone realizes you hate God and Christians. As much as you must hate it, Ron Paul is a Christian. So, take your hate somewhere else.
    This thread is about people using religion to abuse their children not Christianity in general.

This thread is about people using religion to abuse their children not Christianity in general.
    Proverbs 29:15

The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks! I'll check it out...but it seems that my worst notions about the book are confirmed. And I will use this thread to shamelessly show off my 7-month old that they suggest using corporal punishment on:

Seriously--could you intentionally cause that child pain, just because she's crying or yanked on your hair? I couldn't.
    She's adorable! Can you imagine whipping her with a switch because she cried because she was hungry or uncomfortsable in a wet diaper or tired or? Crying is the main means of communicating those things.

Really? How many deaths can be attributed to this book? Poorly written article.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

After skipping through the book at the link that PatriotOne posted, I wouldn't call these folks Christian anyways--they pretty much only use the Old Testament, and uh...well, I'm pretty damned sure they're actually Jewish (though I've never heard of Jews raising their kids like this either.) Their names are Michael and Debi Pearl, and they named their kids Rebekah, Shalom, Shoshanna, Gabriel and Nathan.

I honestly doubt they actually raised their children using the "techniques" they claim, I think it's a scam.

See three minutes into this video for Max Blumenthal talking about the politics of personal resentment and how to beat your children that Dobson came up with and this book is now pushing.

Last edited by Agorism; 11-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Holy sheet. I just started reading it, and it reads like a bad book on how to train dogs.

Actually you could get better advice from the Dog Whisperer on how to "train" your children. He doesn't hit or hurt his dogs. I've actually used some of his techniques on my grandchildren before....lol. Non harmful physically or mentally and they work.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a 'switch'? Oh and Amy, your daughter is too cute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast