Thread: Please don't flame me, but this Penn State affair reminds me of something...

Please don't flame me, but this Penn State affair reminds me of something...

The reaction to the scandal at Penn State makes me think of how the general public reacts to The Man screwing the little guy.

The whole political thing is so much like a sporting event that it creeps me out. People like Romney, Cain, Perry and Newt who are perceived "winners" are in reality screwing with the dumb masses who don't know any better, sorta like that creepy coach. It's all marketing and media propaganda for the sake of making money.

Maybe I'm way off. Thoughts?
    Last edited by wgadget; 11-12-2011 at 06:15 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by wgadget View Post
    The reaction to the scandal at Penn State makes me think of how the general public reacts to The Man screwing the little guy.

The whole political thing is so much like a sporting event that it creeps me out. People like Romney, Cain, Perry and Newt who are perceived"winners" are in reality screwing with the dumb masses who don't know any better, sorta like that creepy coach. It's all marketing and media propaganda for the sake of making money.

Maybe I'm way off. Thoughts?
    Right on. And it is a distraction from the important issues like counterfeiting, wars, and oppression. It is the way it is.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Nice out of box thinking.

just watched the Vietnam HD series on the history channel. we are still doing the same $#@! today.,
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    just watched the Vietnam HD series on the history channel. we are still doing the same $#@! today.,
    By the time Iraq HD series comes out, hopefully everyone in America will be turned off by the immoral violence sprees and tax payers funded rape of nations like Iraq.

How about this, everyone is outraged that Mr Sandusky raped some kids and I stand by the outrage but nobody really seems to care that our miliatry is out there killing hundreds if not thousands of innocent kids in the war on terror. The last I checked death is more devastating punishment than rape

I agree. Most of the american intellectual tradition is predicated on divisiveness. Us vs. them, their god vs. our god. I think much of it comes from our education system and advertising. Team sports is another factor.

We have to look at our heroes. Who are the heroes in this society? Generals, conquerers, presidents, our favorite team players, coaches...
    The great thinkers are marginalized because they don't seek to win or conquer, either that or their message is co-opted.

Jesus Christ is the perfect example. How much blood has been spilt in the name of a man who was just like the Buddha, teaching love, kindness, tolerance, patience, acceptance, etc. People like that are reflected and admired almost nowhere in mainstream american culture. There are exceptions but this is the rule generally. Americans have the distinct ability to be unable to experience raw, pure emotions because their minds are obfuscated by aggression, consumption and anything else to distract them from the reality of their lives.

How many people do you know who can sit still for an hour and just be alone within themselves and only experience themselves? They want to, hence the rise of meditation, yoga, mysticism, but they often are alexithymic in nature and unable to be alone with their thoughts or emotions for any amount of time. Hence yoga becomes a cheapened practice concentrating on physical aspects rather than the internal "force of mind" and people will pay sums of money to partake in this activity because it represents the spiritual through association. Religion is the same. A distraction from the reality. Politics is no different.

The mainstream is people like this who cannot despite the urge otherwise, help but seek constant distractions from reality and this then becomes the reality. A great illustration of this is the 100 breaths: sit and try and count your breaths, inhale and exhale being 1, and then try to count to 100. Most people cannot get past 10.

This is also why drugs and alcohol are so popular, instant distraction. IMHO
    Last edited by ryanmkeisling; 11-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    How about this, everyone is outraged that Mr Sandusky raped some kids and I stand by the outrage but nobody really seems to care that our miliatry is out there killing hundreds if not thousands of innocent kids in the war on terror. The last I checked death is more devastating punishment than rape
    Agreed, I standby this justified outrage also. But similar outrage does not rise on killing of people even if they maybe innocent and victims of greed/racism revenge as in case of our last major war. Perhaps "Sex sells more than anything else" can also be translated as "Sex outrages more than anything else".

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ex-with-intern

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.