Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Redesign Concept Image (Took me 6 HOURS to Create in Paint, PLEASE LOOK!)

Website Redesign Concept Image (Took me 6 HOURS to Create in Paint, PLEASE LOOK!)

Ok, I didn't plan on doing this, so here is how it started. On the chipin thread, TexMac raised some very serious concerns about the current website design. Here was my reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelrv View Post
    Gage, I believe TexMac's criticisms of the website are valid. I know you're doing the best you can and we appreciate everything, but with a website like this, you only have a couple seconds to capture people's attention. If it's not immediately clear to them the purpose of the website, you just lost a potential pledge whether you like it or not. You need to catch people's attention IMMEDIATELY. If you make them think, then you lose.

He brought up a question about the title "Support Them Now". Newcomers visiting the website might ask the question "Support who"? If people are required to read the description first in order to understand the event is about supporting the troops, then you've already lost. Reading should not be required in order to understand what the event is about. It needs to pop out at you visually. For example, if you were to take the title "Support Them Now" and combine it with a soldier instead of that old picture of Ron Paul, they would immediately connect the dots. With the current setup, if given only a couple seconds glance at the website, it's much harder for a person to connect the dots.
    So I decided to take Dusman's military donations ad here...

...and design a website around it using Microsoft Paint, yes that's right, PAINT! I don't know how to use Photoshop. Anyway, it took me 6 hours to finish and I think it turned out pretty good. I changed the wording a little bit in the description. It now mentions the military donations straight off the bat to fit with the overall theme of the website. I also added our pledge goal and made the suggestion to donate $100, like we did on the Nov 5th website. I even added the donation graph in an easily viewable part of the website. The only thing I didn't add was a banner for the leader board competition. With this design, I think anyone can IMMEDIATELY tell what "Support Them Now" actually means. The dots will be connected, and then they can read the description and find out HOW they can support the troops. One note, the link in the upper left hand corner of the website takes you to my planning thread on RonPaulForums where you can help out in the planning stages and learn how to promote. Please tell me what you think. Is this something we should switch to?

Click the picture to make it LARGER...

Last edited by Sentinelrv; 10-29-2011 at 04:48 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not bad for paint, lol.

OK, on the first line of your text, replace with "Why are the top 3 contributors to Ron Paul's campaign the US Army, the US Navy and the US Air Force?"

Cite for that statement: http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/co...php?cycle=2012

Then, 2nd sentence: "Ron Paul receives more donations from the military than all the rest of the GOP candidates combined, and more than Barack Obama."

You really did a good job with this.
    Last edited by TexMac; 10-29-2011 at 07:22 AM.

I can't say I disliked the current one, but I do find this one more engaging.
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson

This one communicates the idea of the moneybomb in one glance. That's the most important thing. Let's get it up so we can start pushing it.

Then, 2nd sentence: "Ron Paul receives more donations from the military than all the rest of the GOP candidates combined, and more than Barack Obama."
    yes, definitely! This point cannot be emphasized enough! And isn't it almost twice of the GOP candidates combined?

I LOVE the look of it, it's crisp and clean.
    You did a great job on this.

- The other graph "military's top tier" really should be on there.
    Thats the most eye-opening one, plus it has a picture of Ron Paul in uniform.

- Should it really have "Ron Paul's" above the "support them now". It doesn't sound right.
    It still makes it seem a little misleading as to where the donations are going.
    Maybe just the support them now can stand alone. And instead, have it say:

Ron Paul
    The Military's Choice

and then maybe in bold at the end of the paragraph:
    On this Veteran's Day, please help support Ron Paul, the... (not sure... someone help me out here, I have writer's block all of a sudden. Something about supporting Ron Paul, the choice of the military or... support the troops by supporting their choice, arggh I'm stuck..help.)

-Veteran's Best Friend has to be somewhere on this thing.
    I realize the name can't change at this point.
    But "Veteran's Best Friend" sounds the best out of all of the other slogans.
    and it IS Veteran's Day.
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 10-29-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: scratched my last idea.

I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Ok, I didn't plan on doing this, so here is how it started. On the chipin thread, TexMac raised some very serious concerns about the current website design.

So I decided to take Dusman's military donations ad and design a website around it using Microsoft Paint, yes that's right, PAINT! I don't know how to use Photoshop. Anyway, it took me 6 hours to finish and I think it turned out pretty good. I changed the wording a little bit in the description. It now mentions the military donations straight off the bat to fit with the overall theme of the website. I also added our pledge goal and made the suggestion to donate $100, like we did on the Nov 5th website. I even added the donation graph in an easily viewable part of the website. The only thing I didn't add was a banner for the leader board competition. With this design, I think anyone can IMMEDIATELY tell what "Support Them Now" actually means. The dots will be connected, and then they can read the description and find out HOW they can support the troops. One note, the link in the upper left hand corner of the website takes you to my planning thread on RonPaulForums where you can help out in the planning stages and learn how to promote. Please tell me what you think. Is this something we should switch to?
    Beautiful job! I love this new design - I think we should switch to something like this because it communicates the intent of the moneybomb very effectively.

+rep for your effort

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This looks great. I approve.

I dunno, I sort of like Ron Paul's military image. Also, I think black backgrounds are overused. Although I think your version does look a little cleaner.

That is really impressive, I can't even do that in Adobe Photoshop haha.

Ok, I'll work on including some of your suggestions and then I'll repost this thread in Grassroots Central so we get more activity. We still haven't gotten a response from Gage yet on this either. maybe somebody else would like to create it and he can just upload it on the current domain?

Yes, please. I've been arguing for a while now that the fact the troops support Dr. Paul above all other candidates is the most important single point that needs to be made. Otherwise it just looks like "another damn politician using the troops to raise money."
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeTraveler View Post
    Yes, please. I've been arguing for a while now that the fact the troops support Dr. Paul above all other candidates is the most important single point that needs to be made. Otherwise it just looks like "another damn politician using the troops to raise money."
    I agree 100%.

I'm going to include the large grapgh with the picture of Ron Paul in this new version. It's looking great!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm going to include the large grapgh with the picture of Ron Paul in this new version. It's looking great!
    Very cool. Can't wait to see it.

You know, minus the facebook avatars at the bottom, this might make an impressive slim jim, too. By the way, what happened to the marines? Where did their support fall? Did more of them also donate to RP but it wasn't one of the top four?

Ok, I updated the first post with the updated image. I also created this new thread on Grassroots Central looking for a web designer...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...o-Build-it-NOW!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnuhana View Post
    You know, minus the facebook avatars at the bottom, this might make an impressive slim jim, too. By the way, what happened to the marines? Where did their support fall? Did more of them also donate to RP but it wasn't one of the top four?
    I don't know. i was just told to put in the top 3. We can add that also if it's true. Somebody find out and let me know.

The top 3 donors are here:

US Air Force $23,437
    US Army $23,053
    US Navy $16,973
    Mason Capital Management $14,000
    Microsoft Corp $13,398
    http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/co...php?cycle=2012

So, I don't know where the Marines are, but I'll see what I can find out.

Here are Ron's top donors:

US Air Force $23,437
    US Army $23,053
    US Navy $16,973
    Mason Capital Management $14,000
    Microsoft Corp $13,398
    Boeing Co $10,620
    Google Inc $10,391
    Lockheed Martin $9,507
    Overland Sheepskin $9,500
    IBM Corp $8,294
    US Government $8,207
    Greenstreet Co $7,500
    Corriente Advisors $7,500
    AT&T Inc $7,329
    Northrop Grumman $7,022
    Intel Corp $6,855
    Federal Express Corp $6,255
    United Technologies $6,115
    DUNN Capital Management $6,000
    Entergy Corp $5,950
    http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/co...906&cycle=2012

Aren't the Marines part of the Army?

I think we have to pay something like $46 to the stock photo people for the right to that photo. Tarzan and dusman know the details. Or the fee they already paid may cover it but it depends on what they wanted to use it for. Do we have a smaller graphic for signature lines? Otherwise, I'm still using the old one.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    Here are Ron's top donors:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/co...906&cycle=2012

Aren't the Marines part of the Army?
    They are part of the Navy, but I'm not sure if that's how it would be reported through FEC.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I think we have to pay something like $46 to the stock photo people for the right to that photo. Tarzan and dusman know the details. Or the fee they already paid may cover it but it depends on what they wanted to use it for. Do we have a smaller graphic for signature lines? Otherwise, I'm still using the old one.
    It has unlimited use online, so this should be fine.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Looks pretty good Sentinel. I really like the yellow you picked out. Solid color choice.

Dusman, your inbox is full and I need to talk to you. We need to get that leader board setup on the website, but Gage doesn't know how to do it. As far as I know I thought you were supposed to be helping him get it setup on the website. Would you be able to help us with this? We need that competition to start as soon as possible. We also need to send out an email using the Black This Out email list.

Dusman, your inbox is full and I need to talk to you. We need to get that leader board setup on the website, but Gage doesn't know how to do it. As far as I know I thought you were supposed to be helping him get it setup on the website. Would you be able to help us with this? We need that competition to start as soon as possible. We also need to send out an email using the Black This Out email list.
    Unfortunately, we can't shift over the leaderboard as it's entirely dependent on using the same system BTO was built on. Essentially, those promoters are created as a web user and their pages are automatically generated, according to their unique ID. This passes back and forth from MailChimp (this one is using Feedburner) which tells the system what to do with the referral. So, I can't separate one from the other or it will break the functionality.

I'm not sure what should be done with the 300-400 users we had on the BTO leaderboard, but there should be a way to deliver out e-mails to all of them and get them involved in 11/11/11 promotion either way. E-mailing the BTO list is available whenever and I would recommend discussing ideas with WD-NY to map out a e-mail plan. We have about 12k e-mails there, so those people definitely need to be contacted about 11/11/11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast