Thread: H.R. 822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act -- Heading to House Floor

Lightbulb H.R. 822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act -- Heading to House Floor

H.R. 822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act -- Heading to House Floor; Contact your Representative Now!
    Friday, October 28, 2011
    As we've been reporting week in and week out, H.R. 822 -- the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011" is very good legislation for gun owners. The time is past due to dispel the alarmist rhetoric about the bill, and to set the record straight.
    Most of the misguided, unfounded, and incorrect characterizations circulating lately regarding H.R. 822 have come from the anti-gun groups and media. However, a small number of vocal and supposedly "pro-gun" groups continue to report falsehoods, despite clear evidence to refute their assertions. Though they claim to be on the side of America's gun owners and the Second Amendment, their stance on this measure proves otherwise.
    One group claimed H.R. 822 would include anti-gun amendments that would create "disastrous federally mandated infringements on our rights."
    But, as we recently reported, the House Judiciary has already considered amendments to H.R. 822, and all anti-gun amendments offered that would weaken or gut the legislation were defeated.
    The same group warns of "a 'study' to control firearm sales over the internet," and decries a "review" process that they claim will provide "a perfect opportunity for more changes." In reality, there was no amendment to study firearm sales over the internet. Period. And the "review" they speak of has nothing to do with adding new anti-gun provisions. The amendment referred to only requires a study of the law's effects, and that study would take place after the law is in effect.
    Another group is trying to insinuate that anti-gunners in Congress will support the bill in order to limit our gun rights. In evaluating this ludicrous accusation, please consider that H.R. 822 has not just 245 cosponsors, but 245 pro-gun cosponsors. And -- just as telling -- none of the stalwart anti-gun representatives have signed on. In addition, well known anti-gun groups, including the Brady Campaign and Mayors Against Illegal Guns, have made killing H.R. 822 their top legislative priority. There is no hidden anti-gun counter-plot going on here.
    Opponents of the legislation also claim that it tramples on each "states' rights." But states don't have rights, only powers. And while many anti-gun lawmakers who've long pushed national gun bans, national bans on private gun sales, national waiting periods and other federal restrictions have suddenly become born-again advocates of "states' rights" to oppose this bill, several provisions of the Constitution give Congress the authority to enact interstate carry. Congress also has the power to protect the rights of citizens, nationwide, under the 14th Amendment (please see related article from a recent Grassroots Alert).
    Again, and for the record:
    H.R. 822 is a GOOD bill and is GOOD for gun owners. The bill ENHANCES Americans' right to self-defense by enabling millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.
    There is currently only one remaining state (Illinois) that has no clear legal way for individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense outside the home. H.R. 822 would require states to recognize each others' lawfully-issued carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.
    H.R. 822 DOES NOT:

• Create a federal licensing or registration system;
    • Establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit;
    • Involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permit;
    • Destroy permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

H.R. 822 is headed to the House floor. Please IMMEDIATELY contact your member of Congress and urge him or her to support the earliest possible consideration of H.R. 822.
    You can find contact information for your U.S. Representative by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org. You may also contact your Representative by phone at (202) 225-3121. Additionally, you may CLICK HERE TO EMAIL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS.
    Again, H.R. 822 is a good bill for gun owners. Don't listen to false claims. Read the bill yourself and READ OUR FACT SHEET to get more facts.
    To listen to an NRANews interview about H.R. 822 with the bill's sponsor Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.), please click here.
    To listen to an NRANews interview about H.R. 822 with NRA-ILA Director of Research and Information John Frazer, please click here.
    To read an op-ed piece about H.R. 822 by NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox, please click here.
    Copyright 2011, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
    11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What does GOA say about the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    What does GOA say about the bill?
    I am wondering if GOA is who the NRA is referring to in this email that I pasted above.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2011...-targeted.html

PACKING HEAT: This morning, the House Judiciary Committee’s subcommittee on crime, terrorism and homeland security will hold a hearing on H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. The bill is sponsored by Reps. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.). It would require all states to allow out-of-state visitors to carry concealed firearms as long as the laws of the visitors' home states allow them to do so.

The measure is backed by the National Rifle Association, and according to research by the Center for Responsive Politics, the NRA ranks as the No. 1 organization to expressly mention the bill in lobbying reports so far this year.

The Center's research indicates that the NRA has mentioned H.R. 822 in its lobbying reports nine times during the first six months of the year. Furthermore, six other organizations have mentioned the gun rights bill -- but none of them have mentioned the legislation more than twice.

Other groups supportive of gun rights that have lobbied on H.R. 822 during the first six months of the year, according to the Center's research, include the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and Gun Owners of America.

The four groups favoring stricter gun control laws that have expressly lobbied on H.R. 822 during the first six months of the year are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and the American Bar Association.

These three gun rights organizations spent a combined $1.9 million on all of their federal lobbying efforts during the first six months of 2011, according to the Center's research, while these four groups that favor stricter gun control spent $640,000.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

is a good bill for gun owners.
    NRA
    Does not inspire confidence.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

From GOA
    This bill would grant national reciprocity (with the exception of Vermont, Wisconsin, and Illinois) to persons with a concealed carry license. Unlike some versions of this proposal, however, it is not "Vermont-friendly" with respect to states which do not require licenses for concealed carry.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor.

This is the bill that I've been warning you about.

It has serious potential to demolish some of the progress you and I have made with our gun rights and is currently waiting to be heard by the entire House of Representatives.

I can't tell you how important it is for you to take action on this.

A lot of people out there doubted me when I told them about the dangers of H.R. 822.

But the fact of the matter is, I've had hundreds of phone calls in the last week from gun owners who are pretty upset at what has already happened.

They were assured by the institutional gun lobby pushing H.R. 822 that it would never get amended.

They were assured that, if anything were added to the bill, it would be pulled.

And yet, here we are.

H.R. 822 has already had amendments added to it, changing its entire language and then opening up even bigger doors for the gun-grabbers to jump through in the future.

And to think, this was in a Republican-controlled committee -- prior to it even reaching the House floor!

You need to know that this bill is on the move and that bad things are coming with it.

The wording of H.R. 822 has already been changed to eliminate provisions for states' rights -- what's next?

REAL ID provisions added in?

Expansion of the term "terrorist" into concealed carry laws?

Checkpoints at every highway leading into each state to "verify" your permit is valid?

All of these ideas have not only been discussed but proposed in anti-gun circles as ideas for future amendments to this bill.

As you know, it has to go to the Senate -- run by anti-gun champion Harry Reid -- if it passes the House.

What I do need from you is your action -- today.

I need you to call your rep and tell them to oppose this bill.

Tell your Congressman that you are pro-gun and that having federal hands on your concealed carry permit is unacceptable.

And tell them as soon as possible.

There isn't much time before this bill gets a full reading.

When it does ...

... it's anyone's guess as to what ends up on it.

Don't let that happen.

Call your rep and make it known that true pro-gun patriots like yourself are opposed to this bill.

Don't let your Representatives be fooled into thinking this is a "pro-gun" vote.

I'm telling you, H.R. 822 will be an ugly mark in the history of gun rights if it passes.

Make sure your Congressman knows that.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Director

Sounds sensationalistic. Vote No because someone might amend it?
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it doesn't eliminate permission slips, registration or prohibitions,,,what good is it?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Only 7-8 states don't have reciprocal agreements. So this isn't really needed... I don't like having extra laws on the books. (2nd amendment should be enough)

Besides, if anything this may discourage states from allowing concealed carry... because once they do, they must conform to this law. That's jacked.

If you want to tout 2nd amendment rights, tell states they can't infringe that right. Period. This as far as I can tell is just an attack on the 10th under the pretense of the 2nd.

If this bill allowed me to carry in all states (ie Illinois, the last no-carry), then I may have other thoughts. But when the Federal govt is picking and choosing what states you can carry in.. that's not good.
    Last edited by TheTexan; 10-30-2011 at 01:13 AM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his