Thread: Charles Krauthammer - Isolationist

Charles Krauthammer - Isolationist

I'd just like to point out the incredible irony of Charles Krauthammer ridiculing Ron Paul's idea of free and open trade, travel, and commerce, while Ron himself gets inaccurately labeled an "isolationist" by the neoconservative arm of the mainstream media, of which Krauthammer is a part.

I think the new meme should be to spread this video around, with just this conversation between Ron and Mr. Krauthammer, while the headline reads "Who is the REAL Isolationist Here?"

"When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Neither are isolationists. You aren't an isolationist if you support a non interventionist foreign policy, and you also aren't an isolationist if you support a border fence. Border security simply maintains American sovereignty. It doesn't isolate our country to secure our borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Neither are isolationists. You aren't an isolationist if you support a non interventionist foreign policy, and you also aren't an isolationist if you support a border fence. Border security simply maintains American sovereignty. It doesn't isolate our country to secure our borders.
    A fence is typically used to isolate something.

Krauthammer may not be an isolationist because of the fence, but I think the irony is that his support for sanctions, general belligerence, etc. would cut us off from the rest of the world far more than anything Ron is suggesting.
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." -- Samuel Adams

There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come.

Quote Originally Posted by cityoflight View Post
    Krauthammer may not be an isolationist because of the fence, but I think the irony is that his support for sanctions, general belligerence, etc. would cut us off from the rest of the world far more than anything Ron is suggesting.
    ^^^
    This
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Ron should start attacking people on the stage calling them isolationists with their sanctions and fence dreams. Since when is deciding NOT to jump out of your boat in order to kick a shark in the face being crazy and an isolationist?

Great point.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

---Me

That's true. It just seems ridiculous to criticize the fence so much when Ron originally voted for it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is every media outlet going to brag about how many times they've had Ron on now? He needs to reference the recent PEW study that shows he receives the least coverage.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.-Thomas Jefferson

https://twitter.com/#!/JustinFrom1776

Just one bump, and I'll leave this alone...promise!

---John Lennon

---Me

To be fair, has anyone looked up the dictionary definition of isolationism?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/isolationism

the policy or doctrine of isolating one's country from the affairs of other nations by declining to enter into alliances, foreign economic commitments, international agreements, etc., seeking to devote the entire efforts of one's country to its own advancement and remain at peace by avoiding foreign entanglements and responsibilities.
    And wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...nterventionism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolationism

Using the internet to find the answer you get this, which confuses things more. Protectionism vs. non-interventionism? Economic or Military?

Perhaps we need to stop fighting the word, and simply explain it. Great video of Ron Paul explaining non-interventionism? Even better, have a 200 year old dictionary to look up the definitions?
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Krauthammer is a CFR member.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Krauthammer is a CFR member.
    ...and? virtually every person of influence in american politics has some tie to the cfr. it's one of the most influential think tanks in washington. actually.. other than ron.. i'd bet the list of who *isn't* a member to has spoken there or whatever is pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by PastaRocket848 View Post
    ...and? virtually every person of influence in american politics has some tie to the cfr. it's one of the most influential think tanks in washington. actually.. other than ron.. i'd bet the list of who *isn't* a member to has spoken there or whatever is pretty short.
    Very true.
    I am the spoon.

The real kicker is calling NAFTA, GATT, and all the other 'free trade' managed trade agreements free trade -- that is where this thing gets difficult. It is all the double speak going on which is why we must answer clearly and carefully and S-L-O-W-L-Y so that they can hear us speak and see our backbone in the matter. Ron really nailed it when he put sanctions in the category of preparing for war. They knew they had been exposed for all the world to see on that one.

In my opinion, a non interventionist is somebody who wants to bring the troops home from around the world and not interfere in the internal affairs of other nations. But in order to be an isolationist, a person would also have to be opposed to having any kind of trade at all with other countries, be opposed to all diplomacy with other countries, be opposed to letting anybody into the country, and be opposed to letting anybody out of the country. There isn't a single American politician who actually supports that. Neither Ron nor somebody like Charles K is an "isolationist" in my opinion. The only true "isolationist" I can think of would be Kim Jong Il.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    In my opinion, a non interventionist is somebody who wants to bring the troops home from around the world and not interfere in the internal affairs of other nations. But in order to be an isolationist, a person would also have to be opposed to having any kind of trade at all with other countries, be opposed to all diplomacy with other countries, be opposed to letting anybody into the country, and be opposed to letting anybody out of the country. There isn't a single American politician who actually supports that. Neither Ron nor somebody like Charles K is an "isolationist" in my opinion. The only true "isolationist" I can think of would be Kim Jong Il.
    Which is actually protectionism. And yet another confusing element to Joe Public, Ron Paul supports free trade but not agreements like NAFTA (regulated trade). All anyone has ever heard of NAFTA is "free trade". It's so frustrating to giev folks the foundational knowledge they need to grasp these concepts, aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, okay better now.
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson